• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 veryoleman OFFLINE  

veryoleman
  • Member No: 46441
  • 2 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 01:24 PM

I also have 2 317 series 2's,i love my wheelhorses always be my favorites but the 317 might just be the handiest gt made. I have added at least 4 homemade attachments the mower design makes it easy.

• Texas Deere and Horse and hatedge have said thanks

#17 csxtrainman36 OFFLINE  

csxtrainman36
  • Member No: 46469
  • 4 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 06:54 PM

I have got an '84 317 with the Onan retrofit. It is a work horse. I found a manual on ebay, just because I wanted a hard copy. They are rather expensive, but original.

• hatedge said thank you

#18 edfgrf OFFLINE  

edfgrf
  • Member No: 45785
  • 5 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 09:30 PM

Thanks to all for the info. I have been looking at Gt for a while and decided to take the plunge. I am having a little starter issues. Sometimes starter just spins,then I will tap the starter then cranks again. It does have the p218G motor. If I have to replace starter wondering the best route? I was told by JD Dealer you have to pull engine then they said that they would get starter rebuilt. Does this sound about right. Thanks again all.

• Texas Deere and Horse and hatedge have said thanks

#19 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 09:47 PM

Thanks to all for the info. I have been looking at Gt for a while and decided to take the plunge. I am having a little starter issues. Sometimes starter just spins,then I will tap the starter then cranks again. It does have the p218G motor. If I have to replace starter wondering the best route? I was told by JD Dealer you have to pull engine then they said that they would get starter rebuilt. Does this sound about right. Thanks again all.

Sorry to tell you that's the only way to replace the starter. While I have the engine out, I take the time to inspect and replace anything that might need replacing.

#20 csxtrainman36 OFFLINE  

csxtrainman36
  • Member No: 46469
  • 4 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 08:25 PM

I just got my hands on a technical manual if you would like a copy. It has the wiring diagram, transaxle breakdown, etc. if you would like a copy.

• hatedge said thank you

#21 edfgrf OFFLINE  

edfgrf
  • 5 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 06:00 PM

pm sent would love a copy of the manual

#22 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted September 09, 2013 - 06:49 AM

This sound like a bendix issue and your starter doesnt need much rebuild.

Your bendix is probably just stiff from siting unused for a while.

My approach to this sort of problem is Jigaloo the heck out of it. If problem persist, pull starter off  to disassemble it. Use fine grit sand paper to free all parts of rust and the such. Spray lube generously in the bendix assembly then let it sit a while. Blow lube out of bendix with compressed air before reassembly of starter. Bendix can be bench tested with a battery to be sure of its proper working. Use dieletric grease on all friction parts while reassembly. Starters are not a complicated assembly but you have to make sure all connections are clean. Dont be scared to open it up and check to find the problem. Bearing and brushes change is also a good idea while you have the starter all opened.

Edited by hatedge, September 09, 2013 - 06:57 AM.

#23 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted September 09, 2013 - 07:01 AM

I just got my hands on a technical manual if you would like a copy. It has the wiring diagram, transaxle breakdown, etc. if you would like a copy.

Would also like a copy  :wave:

#24 edfgrf OFFLINE  

edfgrf
  • 5 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 09, 2013 - 08:14 AM

I Will try this when I get into the starter. Thanks

Edited by edfgrf, September 09, 2013 - 08:15 AM.

#25 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted September 11, 2013 - 08:18 PM

I Will try this when I get into the starter. Thanks

When you get in there you will see how simple a thing a starter is. And if anything, by some fluke of nature, went wrong...put everything back in and close it. A starter/alternator repair shop will fix it for the same price whether you did open it or not as long as you put it all back. But dont take this as a warning. Starters are very basic asseblies with few components.

#26 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 09:18 PM

I have a 79 317 with the series 1 engine. I think I read somewhere that engines above a certain Spec No. are Ser. 2. I'll see if I can find that information. In the JD 317 service manual there is a change in the engine service for engine serial no's 11052802 and up. It doesn't say that these are series 2 engines though. I found the Spec no. info. All engines with Spec No. of 24300 or higher are series 2 engines. It's in the Kohler KT service manual near the front. 

The kohler kt-17 motor serial number of 24300 is the break for the newer kohler kt-17 series 2.....I have seen one with KT17

Series II on a label on the motor tin

• hatedge said thank you

#27 westernbbal OFFLINE  

westernbbal
  • Member No: 56073
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 10:24 PM

I am having a little starting issue. Sometimes starter won't turn over and begin cranking. MY JD 317  does have the p218G Onan  - spec 10608C motor. I have been told to replace flywheel because it is missing some teeth and gets stuck - wondering the best route? How do I go about getting parts - used preferably?

#28 Wsch OFFLINE  

Wsch
  • Member No: 58221
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 09:52 AM

I too am looking for manuals on my 317. The data plate on the mower says it is a C317L   2000694  M and the plate on the motor is Kohler 17HP  SPEC# 24167 MOD# KT17QS.

I have some sort of hydraulic problem, starting with the did stick being broken off inside the hydro pump. I need to get a manual that will help me take the pump apart to get the broken piece out. My local JD is no help.

I would like the owners manual, parts manual and service manual. Any help would be appreciated!

Bill

naninpa@Hotmail.com

#29 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 06:26 AM

I too am looking for manuals on my 317. The data plate on the mower says it is a C317L   2000694  M and the plate on the motor is Kohler 17HP  SPEC# 24167 MOD# KT17QS.

I have some sort of hydraulic problem, starting with the did stick being broken off inside the hydro pump. I need to get a manual that will help me take the pump apart to get the broken piece out. My local JD is no help.

I would like the owners manual, parts manual and service manual. Any help would be appreciated!

Bill

naninpa@Hotmail.com

Email sent with OM. If you dont see it, check your junkmail folder. Enjoy the read.

#30 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 06:29 AM

I am having a little starting issue. Sometimes starter won't turn over and begin cranking. MY JD 317  does have the p218G Onan  - spec 10608C motor. I have been told to replace flywheel because it is missing some teeth and gets stuck - wondering the best route? How do I go about getting parts - used preferably?

I wish I could help. But we Cannucks dont have much resources when it comes to parts. Maye one of our US friends can help you find what you need