• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 edfgrf OFFLINE  

edfgrf
  • Member No: 45785
  • 5 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 08:34 AM

Anyone have any manuals for download for John Deere 317. I believe it is 1980 with onan engine. Brought a few weeks back and working on it without manual is difficult to say the least. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

• Texas Deere and Horse, hatedge and JRJ have said thanks

#2 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 10:27 AM

Hello and welcome to GTtalk.  Bunch of great folks here.  What in particular do you need for info on your 317?  I have been to my local JD dealer and they will print for me at no cost a copy of any page or several pages of any manual they have.

Edited by James henry, August 31, 2013 - 10:28 AM.

#3 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,448 Thanks
  • 3,998 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 11:01 AM

first of all    :welcometogttalk:

second: is it a hydrostatic?

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 12:21 PM

Ed, Welcome to GTtalk. Glad you joined us here. GTtalk has manuals for most all GT ever built here in our manuals Data Base. We had several JD manuals also, but JD contacted us and told us that the manual were Copy Right protected and that GTtalk would see a Law Suit if we didn't discard them, so the JD manual section is no more. Maybe a member can send you a copy of their personal manual.

Your 317 has an Onan in it, if so it has been retro fitted to it, maybe by a JD dealer even as the 317 had Kohler KT17's in them from the factory and the Series I engine had a lot of oiling issues. It should be a great GT with the Onan in it.

Good Luck!!

• hatedge said thank you

#5 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 01:01 PM

Welcome mate, You have found one of the best antique GT forum out there. I have e mailed you 3 manuals for your JD 317. Its a great machine and it does what you will expect of a midsize GT...That means pretty much anything you throw at it

• Texas Deere and Horse and Elder James have said thanks

#6 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 01:04 PM

first of all    :welcometogttalk:

second: is it a hydrostatic?

It sure does have a hydro tranny but its operated with a lever like hydrashift. On the plus side its got left and right brakes ;)

• jd.rasentrac said thank you

#7 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 01:09 PM

Ed, Welcome to GTtalk. Glad you joined us here. GTtalk has manuals for most all GT ever built here in our manuals Data Base. We had several JD manuals also, but JD contacted us and told us that the manual were Copy Right protected and that GTtalk would see a Law Suit if we didn't discard them, so the JD manual section is no more. Maybe a member can send you a copy of their personal manual.

Your 317 has an Onan in it, if so it has been retro fitted to it, maybe by a JD dealer even as the 317 had Kohler KT17's in them from the factory and the Series I engine had a lot of oiling issues. It should be a great GT with the Onan in it.

Good Luck!!

All my GTs have kohler k series engines and I have never found them to have any issues of anykind. As for the KT17 its a more recent engine than the k series but I havent had any problem with it yet exept with governor adjustment

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#8 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 01:10 PM

Hello and welcome to GTtalk.  Bunch of great folks here.  What in particular do you need for info on your 317?  I have been to my local JD dealer and they will print for me at no cost a copy of any page or several pages of any manual they have.

:ditto:

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 01:30 PM

All my GTs have kohler k series engines and I have never found them to have any issues of anykind. As for the KT17 its a more recent engine than the k series but I havent had any problem with it yet exept with governor adjustment

hatedge, There were 2 series of the KT17, Series I had issues if you didn't keep the engine on level ground. Series I engines used a splash lube system along with a low pressure oil pump that didn't provide enough oil on side hill work and would cause the rods to fail. Kohler re-engineered the lube system and solved the problem, but by then John Deere had had so many engine failures that it ruined the 317 reputation. John Deere went so far as to offer a retrofit Onan in those 317 Series I tractors to the customers at no cost to the customer.

I own 3 of the 317's and love using them, all have the Series II engine in them.

Here is a link to a thread I did about the differences of the 2 Series engines.

http://gardentractor...-and-2-engines/

• hatedge said thank you

#10 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 01:32 PM

Welcome mate, You have found one of the best antique GT forum out there. I have e mailed you 3 manuals for your JD 317. Its a great machine and it does what you will expect of a midsize GT...That means pretty much anything you throw at it

Thanks for helping out this member !! :thumbs:

• hatedge and adolmsted have said thanks

#11 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,448 Thanks
  • 3,998 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 02:10 PM

It sure does have a hydro tranny but its operated with a lever like hydrashift. On the plus side its got left and right brakes ;)

5hit.jpeg

#12 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 03:55 PM

Thanks for helping out this member !! :thumbs:

I am getting help on a regular basis here. Its only right to try and help others in return

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#13 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 04:16 PM

hatedge, There were 2 series of the KT17, 

Thanks for that bit of knowledge. I did follow your link but I would like to know how to differenciate the 2 series by the serail numbers? I'm on a mountain side so my yard is a steep hill, and I work hillside everyday. I need to know what engine ive got and would like to avoid stripping the tins if possible. TY

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 06:56 PM

I have a 79 317 with the series 1 engine. I think I read somewhere that engines above a certain Spec No. are Ser. 2. I'll see if I can find that information. In the JD 317 service manual there is a change in the engine service for engine serial no's 11052802 and up. It doesn't say that these are series 2 engines though. I found the Spec no. info. All engines with Spec No. of 24300 or higher are series 2 engines. It's in the Kohler KT service manual near the front. 

• Texas Deere and Horse and hatedge have said thanks

#15 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 11:26 AM

I'll be looking at the serial soon. I believe our 317 is an 80s model but I never really tried to figure it out.