6 replies to this topic

#1 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted November 28, 2010 - 11:08 AM

Hello folks, I hate to bother you about this, as it is probably very basic, so bear with me. From the time I leave my dial up home page to the time I am able to log in, can be as much 15 minutes. I have been looking at a lot of pictures in gallery etc, do these pictures now have to load up every time I go to the site? Should I clear all my temp internet files? Other sites, don't seem to take as long. Do you have any tips, or sugestions as to what this slowdown could be. I use AD AWARE, and NORTON, and usually when I get a slow down, I run both scans and problem clears up, or is better.

Thanks for any advice you can give

regards GEORGE

#2 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted November 28, 2010 - 12:24 PM

I'll try to help.
What does "Ad Aware" and "Norton" show to be fixed?

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 28, 2010 - 01:01 PM

Depending on how much memory or hard drive space is being taken up by the temp internet files. Usually have the images in cache helps page load times. The gallery is pretty heavy on the bandwidth and will take a little longer to load then the rest of the site because of all of the images.

#4 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted November 28, 2010 - 05:08 PM

ADAWARE and NORTON almost always say 3 or 4 major threats removed, and 15 or 20 cookies removed. Of course I guess they have to say something else why would they be there. They always seem to help the problem[slow loading] but since I posted, I have been turning the computer off instead of ON or STANDBY. Just got home and turned everything on, after booting up went to GTTALK and went in a very short time, navigation within site is very quick also. So now, I am hoping for the best. I guess my next question would be is it ok to turn computer off when done. Time waiting for booting up is not a problem if it runs good otherwise? Reason I ask this is I was always told to never turn computer off as the little animals that live inside do not like it.

thanks GEORGE

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 28, 2010 - 05:43 PM

I turn my computer on and off all the time. Computers need rebooted from time to time anyway. The are a lot of programs out there that have memory leaks meaning even after you close the program parts of that program are still held in memory and after a while(couple of days or weeks depends on the amount of memory your computer has) all this adds up and basically makes your computer have insufficient ram and makes the whole system slow.
  • Bolens 1000 and dryrun have said thanks

#6 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted November 28, 2010 - 06:52 PM

I turn my computer on and off all the time. Computers need rebooted from time to time anyway. The are a lot of programs out there that have memory leaks meaning even after you close the program parts of that program are still held in memory and after a while(couple of days or weeks depends on the amount of memory your computer has) all this adds up and basically makes your computer have insufficient ram and makes the whole system slow.

Yey.
This stuff can pile up on you and you start to wonder what is goinng on.
Reboot daily if possible.
will help
  • dryrun said thank you

#7 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted November 28, 2010 - 10:49 PM

This is second time today I have used computer by shutting it off between sessions. It loaded up fine and is running as fast as it ever has, went to site quickly and between forums very well. I think you guys hit it right on.
I sure want to thank you guys for helping, I hated to think about spending a lot of bucks to appease the computing gods.

REGARDS GEORGE