• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • Member No: 45301
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 10:57 PM

Here are the before and after pictures of the Arctic Cat atv carb. that I just finished cleaning by soaking in Pine-sol. The before pics were taken with my phone so they are a little out of focus.

0726131325b_zpse4b37a4b.jpg

0726131325a_zps1eb6f042.jpg

DSCF10861_zps34ff4053.jpg

I soaked this one in about half Pine-sol and half water because the boiler I was using was a little too big. I heated it over low heat on the stove to speed up the cleaning. Afterwards I scraped the remaining calcium like deposits off with a small screw driver.

You have to be sure to really rinse the carb good with water after soaking.

There are a lot more write ups here. http://www.bing.com/...&sp=1&sk=&ghc=1

You can use it full strength and it does not seem to harm rubber unless you leave it too long. It caused the bowl gasket on this carb. to swell, but I soaked it several times over about 2 weeks trying to remove the white stuff.

• lyall, KennyP, johndeereelfman and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 11:11 PM

Never heard of using pine sol, but it looks to have done a good job. Thanks for sharing.

• larryd said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,459 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 05:10 AM

Seems to have done a good job! Thanks!

• larryd said thank you

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,561 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 05:21 AM

I never heard of using pine sol before. Another good idea to remember. Besides, the wife will always have it around. :smilewink:  :smilewink:

• larryd said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 06:28 AM

That's good to know. I have a few carbs to clean on snowblowers before the winter. I may try that if they are a real mess. 

• larryd said thank you

#6 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 08:24 AM

I wonder how that toilet bowl cleaner called "the works" would do?  A friend used it to clean his gas tank out and you should have seen the shine.  I couldn't believe it when I looked inside.

• johndeereelfman and larryd have said thanks

#7 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 08:32 AM

I would worry about the softer metal of a carburetor, but have heard of using drain cleaners to clean out tanks.

Edited by AVB, August 31, 2013 - 08:32 AM.

• larryd said thank you

#8 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 05:48 PM

If your carb had "calcium" deposits, vinegar will dissolve it.

Calcium is alkaline, and vinegar is an acid.

#9 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 06:53 PM

Pine-sol is also acidic, I think it has a pH between 2 and 3. It did soften the deposits, but they were still stuck to the surface. After spraying it out with some brake clean the deposits flaked off pretty easy.

#10 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 09:09 AM

I soaked a carb from a Ford 8n in Pine-sol recently. It cleaned up any varnish/deposits, but didn't really touch any of hte rust. Being a cast steel I think carb, it was prett rusty. I let it soak for over 2 weeks and it did a good job of major cleaning, but then I went back with a dremel and some mini brass wire wheels and cleaned up the rust and soft wire to clean all ports. It may work well on non steel carbs, but did not do well on rust...IMO.

• HDWildBill and AVB have said thanks

#11 skiwithjohn OFFLINE  

skiwithjohn
  • Member No: 10293
  • 8 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 04:46 PM

I bought one of the Harbor Freight ultra sonic cleaners for cleaning carbs based on some recommendations I read.  I bought the larger of the two that HF sold at the time and it has a heating option.  I have been pleased with the results.  I use Simple Green mixed about 50/50 with water and I run the carbs through the cleaning cycle (6 minutes I think) using the heating option several times.  The carbs come out clean and the results have been great with the carbs I have rebuilt using this method.  

Maybe I will have to try the ultra sonic cleaner using Pine Sol instead of Simple Green to see if the results are any different.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#12 Appalachian OFFLINE  

Appalachian
  • Member No: 50647
  • 66 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 12:22 PM

I bought one of the Harbor Freight ultra sonic cleaners for cleaning carbs based on some recommendations I read.  I bought the larger of the two that HF sold at the time and it has a heating option.  I have been pleased with the results.  I use Simple Green mixed about 50/50 with water and I run the carbs through the cleaning cycle (6 minutes I think) using the heating option several times.  The carbs come out clean and the results have been great with the carbs I have rebuilt using this method.  
Maybe I will have to try the ultra sonic cleaner using Pine Sol instead of Simple Green to see if the results are any different.

I know this is an older thread, but I have used pine sol in my ultrasonic. It did a very nice job, much better than simple green. Couple of things, first, get the real thing. Pine sol is much better than the dollar store brand. Second, dont do it in the kitchen, unless you use the exhaust fan. Also, letting it soak for a day helps, and the paint will come off. That's about it.
  • AVB said thank you

#13 whjoel OFFLINE  

whjoel

• Member No: 7307
  • 7 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 07:03 PM

I wouldnt use works! When I was a kid I had buddies that would make bombs with Works and aluminum foil. Caused a nasty chemical reaction and when placed in a bottle would build pressure and go boom!
Joel
  • AVB said thank you

#14 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 08:02 PM

I soaked a carb from a Ford 8n in Pine-sol recently. It cleaned up any varnish/deposits, but didn't really touch any of hte rust. Being a cast steel I think carb, it was prett rusty. I let it soak for over 2 weeks and it did a good job of major cleaning, but then I went back with a dremel and some mini brass wire wheels and cleaned up the rust and soft wire to clean all ports. It may work well on non steel carbs, but did not do well on rust...IMO.

I have been reading about restoring old cast iron pans recently, they claim vinegar is good for removing the rust after soaking in lye to remove the old seasoning.

#15 rust addict OFFLINE  

rust addict
  • Member No: 51434
  • 242 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 02:19 PM

Purrty, and smells good too.