sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 04:35 PM

I bought from a guy his fathers old stuff (father passed away about a year ago).

In this deal were tanks and torch set.....going through boxes found another torch and more tips.

At this point I don't know how old or how long ago it was last used.

I have brought it home and going to unload it in the shed for now. I went by the local welding supplies....ends up being the other company was supplying this guy. Tanks have "owner owned" or something to that effect on it.

What is it worth as it is??

Do I take it to the other shop and have them go through it?? What does that cost??

Just trying to decide whether I keep it or sell it.....and if I keep it, what I should do next to make sure it is safe.

I will post more pictures shortly.

IMG_3511.JPG IMG_3512.JPG IMG_3490.JPG

Edited by sacsr, August 30, 2013 - 04:38 PM.

• JRJ said thank you

#2 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 04:53 PM

Didnt see the regulators in the pics. Looks like you have a 125LBS or bigger acy cylinder, $$$$ to fill. Owner owned tanks may need to be hydrotested to be filled. I dont recognize the torch. Hoses could be ok.

Testing the unit is pretty straight forward. Attach regulators to the tanks, screw the pressure adjustment all the way out. Attche hoses and torch. Stand to the side and slowly open one tank valve then the other. MAke sure the torch valves are off and turn the pressure adjusting screw in slowly to put a few PSI on each hose. Should need no more than 5 psi on the acy. and maybe 10 -15 on oxy. Check for leaks in hoses, regulators, all connections, and the torch valve. Install a brazing tip into the torch mixer/handle, crack the acy valve and light the flame. Should be nice and orange and sooty. Open the oxy valve and adjust your flame.

Biggest concerns would be that there is no oil or grease in or on the oxy regulator or hose. It will spontaneously combust when exposed to concentrated O2.

acetylene  will ignite in O2 concentrations from like 10% and up, leaks are dangerous.

If you are not going to be torch welding look at switching over to propane. Cheaper, easier, and less dangerous.

Jody on weldingtipsandtricks.com has a good video of general torch safety procedures.

• sacsr, LilysDad and superaben have said thanks

#3 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 05:23 PM

Here are pictures of the torch and regulator....the other pictures above was an extra torch and extra parts.

IMG_3516.JPG IMG_3518.JPG IMG_3517.JPG

Any body know what this stuff is worth?? Just debating on selling....I will probably not ever use it for welding...I was looking mainly for heating up stuck bolts, etc.....

best to sell it individually?? Or am I crazy to sell it......I probably have $150 in the whole set up (if some of the other stuff brings a good price).

Thanks for the input

Edited by sacsr, August 30, 2013 - 05:27 PM.

• JRJ said thank you

#4 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 05:46 PM

For what you got into it, you wouldn't make much selling it. I would just keep, it nice to have when you need it. For 150 bucks you got a very good deal. Just do like coldone said, and when the time comes for refills I would try to work out a deal with gas supplier for smaller tanks, with a credit for yours. Tanks need to be tested and dated every so many years, I think it was 5 years the last time I needed one done for shop, but I also swap out a lot of B tanks monthly so I could be wrong.

• sacsr said thank you

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,290 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 06:19 PM

I guess the first q is " Do you already have a torch?"

If not, take the tanks to several places for quotes on testing, trading in, etc. my set: I have roughly the same size O2, one size smaller on th acet.. Mine are lifetime lease, exchange for fill. I did a lot of research and felt this was the best option as there was no min per year and the pressure testing was part of the exchange because I didnt actually own the tanks. Also, my refills are lower because of the lease.

Oh, and buy some flashback arresters. They screw in line, take seconds to install and make torches safer... The neighborhood you save may be your own

In my opinion, they are an invaluable tool. One of the first three in the list of things I need for this hobby... And you already own them, just need to finish up a few loose ends.
  • Alc and sacsr have said thanks

#6 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 06:49 PM

I wish my acetylene tank was that big.  I have a small tank and it costs the same to fill a small one or a large one. 

• sacsr said thank you

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 06:57 PM

We bought our tanks from our supplier.  So when we need refills, we simply trade in our tanks for prefilled ones.  We still own a pair & can claim whenever we want, say like if we moved away or the like.  Like you though, I got a small tank outside their brand, and took it to them to see about filling it for Argon use with my TIG.  There was a one time fee of around $25 to have it safety checked, then they just repainted it & slapped on their decal, and now it's like our larger acet/Oxy tanks, and I just swap it in for prefilled.

• Alc, sacsr and OkieGt have said thanks

#8 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 07:15 PM

Unless you are the registered owner of that big acety tank they wont fill it. Those are owned by the gas companys. They will most likely make you a  good trade on a set of filled bottles. I got a van a few years back with a big  acety and oxy tank in it. They were full so we used them for a long time then carried them and my smaller empty bottles in and got full small bottles for free.

• sacsr said thank you

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,290 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 07:25 PM

Unless you are the registered owner of that big acety tank they wont fill it. Those are owned by the gas companys. They will most likely make you a good trade on a set of filled bottles. I got a van a few years back with a big acety and oxy tank in it. They were full so we used them for a long time then carried them and my smaller empty bottles in and got full small bottles for free.

I wonder if the son could transfer ownership as part of the estate? Might call him and ask him if he would write a letter to that effect if asked?
  • sacsr said thank you

#10 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 08:04 PM

Both of those torches look like Victor made units to me, very good quality.

The Uniweld regulator is a two-stage regulator, generally considered better. The other is a single stage.

Like said, the cylinders are likely company owned. If you look on the top by the safety cap it will say the company; if the company is still around then they will be able to swap it if you choose to do so.

A couple things have been said about pressure checking the cylinders. On the top, it will have a number, that is how many years it is good for after the date it was last tested. Also, there are symbols that indicate the test is good for longer. For example, if it says 5 plus a star, then it is good for 10 years. I think there are more symbols, but star is the only one I know.

As said, leaks are very dangerous! Whether it is the oxygen, or your fuel, it could be bad. Spray soapy water on all connections to test for leaks.

It was stated that you do not want oil in the acetylene regulator, really, you do not want it ANYWHERE on this thing! If it is in any of the internals, it could cause a problem with dieseling. That reminds me, make sure you never turn the acetylene regulator over 15 psi, it is highly unstable and could cause an explosion if it is over 15 psi.

For my welding class I did a write up on how to set up, and shut down a torch. I don't think I ever posted it here, I will have to scan and post it.

• sacsr said thank you

#11 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 08:15 PM

I would keep everything but the big acetylene tank. I switched to propane about a year ago and I have no regrets. I have two small MC tanks if I need extra heat. Once get used to having a torch around you will wonder how you lived without it.

Here is a sample of what can be done with a torch and a bottle of propane.

DSCF2947.JPG DSCF2951.JPG DSCF2953.JPG DSCF2956.JPG DSCF2960.JPG DSCF2957.JPG

• sacsr said thank you

#12 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 08:20 PM

What I would concerned about is the condition of the hoses, dry rot, check each hose from one end to the other end and around all the fittings.

It looks like you have a nice set up, but if you do really have much us for it, it would be nice to see someone get it that needs it or can use it. 

Dick

Edited by JRJ, August 30, 2013 - 08:21 PM.

• sacsr said thank you

#13 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 09:06 PM

inherited mine from my dad when he passed. he owned the tanks. easy to exchange just take to supply store and swap out. tried the propane thing.. have used acetylene for too many years. the extra heat is worth the cost to me.

• sacsr said thank you

#14 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 09:37 PM

We bought our tanks from our supplier. So when we need refills, we simply trade in our tanks for prefilled ones. We still own a pair & can claim whenever we want, say like if we moved away or the like. Like you though, I got a small tank outside their brand, and took it to them to see about filling it for Argon use with my TIG. There was a one time fee of around $25 to have it safety checked, then they just repainted it & slapped on their decal, and now it's like our larger acet/Oxy tanks, and I just swap it in for prefilled.

I did the same, I almost bought a set of bootleg tanks that I would never been able to fill
  • sacsr said thank you

#15 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 31, 2013 - 07:02 AM

The supplier I use doesn't care, as most in Florida, who owns the tanks, they will swap them as long as they are up to date. I use propane only when I am scrapping, any other time it's acetylene.