• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Tractor Chance OFFLINE  

Tractor Chance
  • Member No: 42212
  • 24 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 10:40 AM

I have the tractor running again.  I put all new hydro hoses on it.  It looks pretty awesome.  Sadly, the front bucket has the same symptoms that it did before. Here are the facts.

I filled the rear ... ahem... "thing" with hydro fluid.  I filled until it was dripping out of the plug hole.

The PTO belt engages nicely. 

The hydro pump appears to be working just fine

The bucket will tilt up and down, but just a bit.

I can tilt the bucket up and down, by hand.  Very little resistance, though it is very heavy.  :)

The bucket does not lift at all. 

I did lift the bucket all the way up, by hand.  Just to ensure that it was not stuck or something like that.

When I lifted the bucket up, my wife was engaging the lever to lift the bucket (not tilt).  When I went to put the bucket down, it stopped half way.  The hydro fluid was holding it up.  When she moved the lever to drop the bucket, it slammed into the ground.

Okay, that's what I know.

Thoughts?

Ideas?

Questions?

Tips?

Thanks everyone, I am super excited to get this working again. 

TC

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 10:50 AM

It sounds like you are not getting much pressure to the lines. When the valve is in the center position can you still move the bucket by hand? I'm wondering if it's all connected properly. Do you have good power to the drive wheels ?

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,537 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 11:07 AM

It sounds like there isn't enough hydraulic fluid in the system. Now that you ran it a bit, check the fluid level again. I'm surprised that the loader works off the hydrostatic. Isn't there a separate pump and reservoir for the loader. It would help me alot if you posted a bunch of clear pictures of the tractor, engine, transaxle, and loader. Check the manuals section above. Good Luck, Rick

• Tractor Chance said thank you

#4 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 542 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 11:43 AM

I agree with boyscout 862 , you may have to top off the fluids a few times till you get all the cylinders and lines filled .

Just keep working the controls after filling to get all the air out of the system , it may take a few times to get it all out .

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 Tractor Chance OFFLINE  

Tractor Chance
  • 24 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 01:47 PM

It sounds like there isn't enough hydraulic fluid in the system. Now that you ran it a bit, check the fluid level again. I'm surprised that the loader works off the hydrostatic. Isn't there a separate pump and reservoir for the loader. It would help me alot if you posted a bunch of clear pictures of the tractor, engine, transaxle, and loader. Check the manuals section above. Good Luck, Rick

According to this thread, there is only one place for the fluid.

:)

http://www.mytractor...ad.php?t=245155

#6 Tractor Chance OFFLINE  

Tractor Chance
  • 24 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 02:20 PM

Thanks to everyone for replying.

attached are before/after photos of each of the hydro tubes.  I was going to label them, but if you can't figure it out..... ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• HydroHoses_ControlPanel.jpg
  • HydroHoses_LeftSide.jpg
  • HydroHoses_RightSide.jpg

#7 Tractor Chance OFFLINE  

Tractor Chance
  • 24 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 02:22 PM

It sounds like you are not getting much pressure to the lines. When the valve is in the center position can you still move the bucket by hand? I'm wondering if it's all connected properly. Do you have good power to the drive wheels ?

Yes, we have great power to the drive wheels.

Edited by Tractor Chance, August 30, 2013 - 02:22 PM.

#8 Tractor Chance OFFLINE  

Tractor Chance
  • 24 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 02:31 PM

I agree with boyscout 862 , you may have to top off the fluids a few times till you get all the cylinders and lines filled .

Just keep working the controls after filling to get all the air out of the system , it may take a few times to get it all out .

Thanks for the response.  When you say a "few times", how many times are you thinking?

I tried to top it off 3 times... everytime I pulled the plug, fluid ran out of the plug hole.

Also, when the engine was running, and the PTO was on, I held the control knob for a good 10 minutes....

Are you thinking longer?

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,537 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 03:10 PM

The transaxle is hydrostatic and uses hydraulic fluid for powering the tractor. FELs sometimes run off the pump of the transmission but usually an FEL needs much more fluid than the transaxle can spare. In those cases there is an extra pump and reservoir added to the tractor to power the FEL. It is a separate system and must be filled separately. That is why I asked for clear pictures of the tractor, engine, transaxle, and FEL so that I could see what system you have. Good Luck, Rick

The new hoses and paint look good.

Edited by boyscout862, August 30, 2013 - 03:11 PM.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 03:20 PM

It would appear you have a dedicated hydraulic pump with the oil being stored in the loader uprights.  In the pic, it looks to either be a fill cap, or a breather assembly on the left upright.

• MH81, JDBrian, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#11 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,537 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 04:26 PM

It would appear you have a dedicated hydraulic pump with the oil being stored in the loader uprights.  In the pic, it looks to either be a fill cap, or a breather assembly on the left upright.

Good eyes! I missed that. Thanks, Rick

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 04:56 PM

I couldn't see the pictures from the computer I was using when I responded to your posts earlier. You need to troubleshoot the hydraulic system that powers the loader. 

#13 Tractor Chance OFFLINE  

Tractor Chance
  • 24 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 10:57 PM

UPDATE

First off, still not working

second... I'm going a tad nutz   :hitting_self_roller:

So, the silver cap on the left vertical pole, I removed it and it is the home for the hydro fluid.  Awesome.

I found that one of the 90 degree elbows had a hole in it.  It's replaced now.   I got the bucket to tilt up and down, the entire way.

Not sure what I did, but the bucket won't tilt now AND the loader won't lift/lower.   I can't find any other leaks.  I think he's gonna have to go to someone that knows what they are doing. 

if anyone has advise, I'd love to hear it.  I'll continue to try  (no $$ for mechanic)  :)

Thank you all for being so nice and offering ideas.  I could not do this without GardenTractorTalk. 

Oh, on a positive note...... seems like every dude in my neighborhood has been watching us work on this bad-boy.  I had someone ask to look at the paint job.  I had someone else say "is that a Ford"?  LOL  awesome.... :love:

#14 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 11:37 PM

Have you checked the return hose from the upright to the pump, make sure you don't have anything blocking or plugging it from getting fluid to the pump. Sounds like your not getting enough fluid to the pump to me.

#15 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 01:51 AM

If you have been running this with out oil in the resivoir , and you say it had a leak after oil was refilled... I fear your pump is cooked.
Can you take a pic of the hydraulic pump, if its a vane pump, its history running it for 10 min. Or more with out oil.

Well it has a gear pump, I found earlier pics. You MUST make sure it is plumbed correctly and has a good supply of oil to the hydraulic pump. This system is completely seperate from the hydrostatic transmission.
question 1; did this work before you took it apart ?
If not, this may have been why it was parked before you got it ?

It can be fixed , just need a bit of patients. You may need to fix an existing issue that was present before your purchased it.

Edited by skyrydr2, September 01, 2013 - 02:10 AM.

• Rock farmer said thank you