Garden Tractor Forums banner

Inner Tube Oil

5K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  propane1 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I was ordering inner tubes the other day, and got to talking to one of the mechanics about how to preserve these tubes. He said they soak the inner tubes for a day in a big container of peanut oil before inserting them into the tires. The valve stem cores are removed, so that the oil can get inside and coat the inside walls. He said the oil keeps them from dry rotting in the tire and helps to keep them from splitting from the heat. I asked if used motor oil can be used as an alternative, but he said the motor oil has a tendency to be too thick, so they use the peanut oil as it is much thinner, and coats more easily.

Has anybody else ever heard of this, or better yet, has tried this? I'm curious to hear the results if this method was used or if it actually works. I know for a fact that tubes dry out after a couple of years, and some split from constant air pressure changes, so if this works, and it means getting a few more years out them, I'm willing to give it a try.

#5 ·
Doug,

I thought the same too, and when I brought that up to the mechanic, he simply asked me if I had even see rubber valve cover, or oil pan gaskets? His point was then taken.
Troy, I knew a guy who would dunk a tube in oil before trying to install it. It would slip right in. I never tried it just because of the same concern you had. I wonder who's right?

Ben W.

#7 ·
I have never heard of that. My Dad uses Peanut oil for cooking everything, I might have a hard time trying to use a bottle of his :D

All the valve cover and oil pan gaskets I get are rubber, so not sure why he said that either??. You should have countered him by saying "then why is there a rubber gasket on an oil filter?" :rolling:

There are also many types of rubbers today. The type a tube is made out of, I would think engine oil would deteriorate?

I just hope he's not pulling your leg? like when I was an Auto Mechanic and I would ask people if they rotate there spark plugs every 5k miles. ( as a joke) :D

#9 ·
I have never heard of that. My Dad uses Peanut oil for cooking everything, I might have a hard time trying to use a bottle of his :D

All the valve cover and oil pan gaskets I get are rubber, so not sure why he said that either??. You should have countered him by saying "then why is there a rubber gasket on an oil filter?" :rolling:

There are also many types of rubbers today. The type a tube is made out of, I would think engine oil would deteriorate?

I just hope he's not pulling your leg? like when I was an Auto Mechanic and I would ask people if they rotate there spark plugs every 5k miles. ( as a joke) :D
Well Chris, I think you have a source! Strain any partical out and use his used oil he is going to throw out. Ultimate Recycling.

#11 ·
Definitely DO NOT use ATF!!!!!!! One of my John Deere F935's had a slight axle leak, and it would run down the rim onto the valve stem. The stem swelled up huge & softened to the point the rubber shed itself from the steel of the valve core......flat tire! I would never use any petroleum product on a tube.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)

Chris,

I think you misunderstood. The mechanic wasn't saying you couldn't use oil on rubber. When I asked about the oil deteriorating the rubber, he basically said, if that were true, then why do they make rubber valve cover and oil pan gaskets, that are in contact with oil. And as you said, there is a rubber seal around the base of an oil filter, which states on the directions, lube the rubber seal with used engine oil before installing.

#18 ·
I would think you wouldn't want to put any liquid in a tube/tire if it goes faster than a GT. Talk about an unbalanced condition after it has set and pooled over night.
The peanut oil is only put in the tube to coat the inside walls. After soaking in the oil, the tube is drained, installed in the tire, and then filled with air. The oil doesn't stay in the tube while mounted in the tire.

#19 ·
I have my doubts about the peanut oil, :( but I guess there is no other way of finding out how well it works, until I try and see. I have a fairly new tube, and I have an older tube. I guess I'll buy a bottle of oil, soak both of the tubes overnight, mount them in a set of tires, and install the wheels on a parts tractor. I'll let them sit to see what happens. I guess should roll the tractor around every now and then, so that any left over oil inside the tubes, aren't sitting in one place the whole time. Could be a very long time to find out the results, so if I don't update this post with the results, say by 2030, then that means I was either successful and had good results, :dancingbanana: or I died and never got to find out the results to post. :angel:

Or, we are all correct with our thinking, and I get to post an update by next year at this time, due to the oil eating the inner tube for breakfast, lunch and dinner! :smilewink:

#20 ·
Chris,

I think you misunderstood. The mechanic wasn't saying you couldn't use oil on rubber. When I asked out the oil deteriorating the rubber, he basically said, if that were true, then why do they make rubber valve cover and oil pan gaskets, that are in contact with oil. And as you said, there is a rubber seal around the base of an oil filter, which states on the directions, lube the rubber seal with used engine oil before installing.
Yuppp! I must be getting dyslexic lol! :D

#21 ·
I have my doubts about the peanut oil, :( but I guess there is no other way of finding out how well it works, until I try and see. I have a fairly new tube, and I have an older tube. I guess I'll buy a bottle of oil, soak both of the tubes overnight, mount them in a set of tires, and install the wheels on a parts tractor. I'll let them sit to see what happens. I guess should roll the tractor around every now and then, so that any left over oil inside the tubes, aren't sitting in one place the whole time. Could be a very long time to find out the results, so if I don't update this post with the results, say by 2030, then that means I was either successful and had good results, :dancingbanana: or I died and never got to find out the results to post. :angel:

Or, we are all correct with our thinking, and I get to post an update by next year at this time, due to the oil eating the inner tube for breakfast, lunch and dinner! :smilewink:
Just be careful that an Elephant doesn't try chasing you down on your GT! :rolling:

JK. Good luck with the experiment! :thumbs:

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
I always thought that motor oil and rubber don't mix, the oil deteriorates the rubber.

ATF would be better I think. ???

Don't know about Peanut oil, never heard of it before.
ATF will destroy a tube! I had an axle seal that leaked ATF onto my rim. It kept the valve stem wet with it, and the stem swelled till the rubber was twice it's normal size & pulled away from the steel core. Finally the tube blowed at the base of the stem. I'd never want any petroleum product on a tube.

Inner tubes & gaskets are also totally different types of rubber.

#25 ·
I've never heard of this before. Never had a tube dry rot either. Like Daniel said, inner tubes and gaskets are totally different compounds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.