#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 08:45 PM

I was ordering inner tubes the other day, and got to talking to one of the mechanics about how to preserve these tubes. He said they soak the inner tubes for a day in a big container of peanut oil before inserting them into the tires. The valve stem cores are removed, so that the oil can get inside and coat the inside walls. He said the oil keeps them from dry rotting in the tire and helps to keep them from splitting from the heat. I asked if used motor oil can be used as an alternative, but he said the motor oil has a tendency to be too thick, so they use the peanut oil as it is much thinner, and coats more easily.

Has anybody else ever heard of this, or better yet, has tried this? I'm curious to hear the results if this method was used or if it actually works. I know for a fact that tubes dry out after a couple of years, and some split from constant air pressure changes, so if this works, and it means getting a few more years out them,  I'm willing to give it a try.

• lyall, larryd, JRJ and 3 others have said thanks

#2 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 08:50 PM

I always thought that motor oil and rubber don't mix, the oil deteriorates the rubber.

ATF would be better I think. ???

Don't know about Peanut oil, never heard of it before.

Edited by DH1, August 29, 2013 - 08:53 PM.

• olcowhand, johndeereelfman, larryd and 1 other said thanks

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 08:52 PM

Never heard of it, but waiting to see who everyone else answers.

• johndeereelfman and larryd have said thanks

#4 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 08:57 PM

I always thought that motor oil and rubber don't mix, the oil deteriorates the rubber.

Doug,

I thought the same too, and when I brought that up to the mechanic, he simply asked me if I had even see rubber valve cover, or oil pan gaskets? His point was then taken. 

• larryd said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 09:26 PM

Doug,

I thought the same too, and when I brought that up to the mechanic, he simply asked me if I had even see rubber valve cover, or oil pan gaskets? His point was then taken. 

Troy, I knew a guy who would dunk a tube in oil before trying to install it.  It would slip right in.  I never tried it just because of the same concern you had.  I wonder who's right?

Ben W.

#6 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • Member No: 45301
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 09:56 PM

I have no idea about the oil, but I do use either corn starch or bably powder as lube when replacing tubes in motorcycle tires.

• johndeereelfman, HDWildBill and larryd have said thanks

#7 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 10:17 PM

I have never heard of that. My Dad uses Peanut oil for cooking everything, I might have a hard time trying to use a bottle of his :D

All the valve cover and oil pan gaskets I get are rubber, so not sure why he said that either??. You should have countered him by saying "then why is there a rubber gasket on an oil filter?" :rolling:

There are also many types of rubbers today. The type a tube is made out of, I would think engine oil would deteriorate?

I just hope he's not pulling your leg? like when I was an Auto Mechanic and I would ask people if they rotate there spark plugs every 5k miles. ( as a joke) :D

#8 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 05:35 AM

Neoprene is a closed cell rubber that resists oil.

The downside of peanut oil I suspect would be that it would attract rodents that would likely chew on the valve stems.

Sunlight is one of the enemies of rubber so I would cover the tires or store them tires inside.

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 08:34 AM

I have never heard of that. My Dad uses Peanut oil for cooking everything, I might have a hard time trying to use a bottle of his :D

All the valve cover and oil pan gaskets I get are rubber, so not sure why he said that either??. You should have countered him by saying "then why is there a rubber gasket on an oil filter?" :rolling:

There are also many types of rubbers today. The type a tube is made out of, I would think engine oil would deteriorate?

I just hope he's not pulling your leg? like when I was an Auto Mechanic and I would ask people if they rotate there spark plugs every 5k miles. ( as a joke) :D

Well Chris, I think you have a source! Strain any partical out and use his used oil he is going to throw out. Ultimate Recycling.

#10 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 10:13 AM

If the peanut oil gets inside the tube how do you get it all out? 

Dick

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 11:16 AM

Definitely DO NOT use ATF!!!!!!!  One of my John Deere F935's had a slight axle leak, and it would run down the rim onto the valve stem.  The stem swelled up huge & softened to the point the rubber shed itself from the steel of the valve core......flat tire!    I would never use any petroleum product on a tube.

#12 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 30, 2013 - 11:24 AM

I would think you wouldn't want to put any liquid in a tube/tire if it goes faster than a GT. Talk about an unbalanced condition after it has set and pooled over night.

#13 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 05:04 PM

Any petro based oil will eat at the rubber, our tire shop uses vegetable oil to mount tires. It actually called tire soap but there's no soap in it.  I believe that what the dealer makers also recommend.

• Alc, johndeereelfman and larryd have said thanks

#14 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 05:34 PM

Just to reiterate, the rubber used in tires is not compatible with oil (ATF is oil, just with different additives.)  The type of rubber used in gaskets is different than tires.

#15 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • Member No: 45301
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 06:18 PM

Any petro based oil will eat at the rubber, our tire shop uses vegetable oil to mount tires. It actually called tire soap but there's no soap in it.  I believe that what the dealer makers also recommend.

I use Ruglyde, I think its about the same thing as Murphy's oil soap like you use on hardwood floors.