• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 07:21 PM

Ever since my switch to Cable Internet, I have been as happy as one can be with their (Internet) service provider...

Until this past week... The intellectual geniuses at the cable company decided to do something about the usage hogs in the system.

They decided that 2% of the users were abusing bandwidth (one guy told me that those people were using TERRAbites), so they capped ALL the packages. Our package is maxed out at 150Gig. We've never been closer than 134g, but it could happen.. There are no real warnings, just a couple of pop ups when you get close that anyone in the house could enter past without any password of proof of adulthood.

I told the guy that if my bill goes up because my 3 yr old circumvented their "early warning system", I would not be impressed... He laughed and said he would pass on my concerns... An email alert may be better he said.

I know that we are spoiled here in the states with bandwidth privileges, and this will be more of an issue as time passes and everything gets connected, just warning you guys that if your bill jumps... It may be you exceeded your cap.
  • daytime dave, wvbuzzmaster, sacsr and 3 others have said thanks

#2 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 07:36 PM

Ever since my switch to Cable Internet, I have been as happy as one can be with their (Internet) service provider...

Until this past week... The intellectual geniuses at the cable company decided to do something about the usage hogs in the system.

They decided that 2% of the users were abusing bandwidth (one guy told me that those people were using TERRAbites), so they capped ALL the packages. Our package is maxed out at 150Gig. We've never been closer than 134g, but it could happen.. There are no real warnings, just a couple of pop ups when you get close that anyone in the house could enter past without any password of proof of adulthood.

I told the guy that if my bill goes up because my 3 yr old circumvented their "early warning system", I would not be impressed... He laughed and said he would pass on my concerns... An email alert may be better he said.

I know that we are spoiled here in the states with bandwidth privileges, and this will be more of an issue as time passes and everything gets connected, just warning you guys that if your bill jumps... It may be you exceeded your cap.

I think band width hogs and people with multiple sppeding tickets accident ought to foot OUR bill, not the other way around

#3 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • Member No: 45301
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 07:41 PM

ATT started this earlier this year, I normally use between 150-200gb per month due to streaming movies. It cost an extra $10 for every 50gb over 150.

• OkieGt said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 07:50 PM

Same deal here, $10 for another 50g
I was pretty direct about the fact this is not the original agreement and I wasn't OK with the situation. (Actually I am... We stream a lot of Netflix and we don't go over) but I wanted to voice my concern and have it on record just in car my Kids decide to torrent War and Peace or something.
  • OkieGt said thank you

#5 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 07:53 PM

Were on unlimited and will always have unlimited, only because our connection isn't a typical high speed connection in that it is high speed, but it isn't fast. I dont think you could go over 50 gigs a month connected 24/7 on our connection speeds, can you say "buuufffferrring".

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 07:56 PM

...Can you say "buuufffferrring".

Yes, but not without a drink or two :D
I would move into the country if I could, but would miss the instant gratification of our Internet.
  • OkieGt said thank you

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 08:00 PM

I actually think the internet and cellular is so much better over seas. The US is out of hand with their whole data packages and our signals or nowhere near as good as what they have over there.

I would be pissed if they capped ours. I don't know the total amount of bandwidth we use a month but with the website's server backing up to the home server every day I am sure it is a decent bit.

• OkieGt said thank you

#8 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 08:04 PM

Yes, but not without a drink or two :D
I would move into the country if I could, but would miss the instant gratification of our Internet.

Yep we is in the kountry, no cable an no intrnet, satelight only, but come xmas it do lite up the doublewides when you string your bulbs over them

• MH81 said thank you

#9 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • Member No: 45301
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 08:11 PM

I actually think the internet and cellular is so much better over seas. The US is out of hand with their whole data packages and our signals or nowhere near as good as what they have over there.

I would be pissed if they capped ours. I don't know the total amount of bandwidth we use a month but with the website's server backing up to the home server every day I am sure it is a decent bit.

I have been hearing the same thing, they say US customers are getting ripped off compaired with the internet speed in other countries for the same price.

#10 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 08:16 PM

Oh, cry me a river guys..........

I cant get cable or DSL here where I live......Can get satellite or cellular.....The satellite sucks, get a cloud in the sky and it goes out. That leaves cellular....For $90 per month, I get 20 gig.....$10 for every gig after that.....That means, no Youtube, no downloading movies, Tv etc....no Netfix, none of that.......

One nice thing about it though, I can take the cellular hub with me in the car or RV and have internet wherever I goi

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and OkieGt have said thanks

#11 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 08:25 PM

I'm on the Internet a fair amount, Our useage is about 15 Gigs a month.

We have decent internet but it is to slow to watch movies or anything. A youtube is watchable if the setting can be at 240p or lower even then it is a lot of buffering and waiting. A lot of websites will time out on us but It is still better than nothing.

• OkieGt said thank you

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 08:27 PM

I cant get cable or DSL here where I live......Can get satellite or cellular.....The satellite sucks, get a cloud in the sky and it goes out. That leaves cellular....For $90 per month, I get 20 gig.....$10 for every gig after that.....That means, no Youtube, no downloading movies, Tv etc....no Netfix, none of that.......

One nice thing about it though, I can take the cellular hub with me in the car or RV and have internet wherever I goi

(I am SO kidding here)

No high speed Internet??? What possible reason could you have to get up in the mornings? :rolling:

Heck, even my Parents out at the farm can get low speed DSL.  Sounds like what Arti has

• OkieGt said thank you

#13 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 08:27 PM

cost 50.00 for 5 gigs on a celluar hotspot here

#14 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 08:28 PM

I'm on the Internet a fair amount, Our useage is about 15 Gigs a month.

We have decent internet but it is to slow to watch movies or anything. A youtube is watchable if the setting can be at 240p or lower even then it is a lot of buffering and waiting. A lot of websites will time out on us but It is still better than nothing.

I'm faster than you Arti, but not by much

#15 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 08:30 PM

And I appreciate the work and money you and the guys put into this site. thanks

• Arti, oldedeeres and TomLGT195 have said thanks