Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Lets See The Tractor You Got For Your Better Half Or Kids.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 powerstroker00 OFFLINE  

powerstroker00

• Member No: 8405
  • 669 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 10:58 PM

100_2722.JPG 101_0236.jpg 100_2671.JPG 100_2673.JPG
My son has always loved tractors, he got his first one when he was 7 with money he had saved up from helping his grandpa, I don't think we have a picture of it, it was just an old mtd type mower. when he was 8, he and I detailed a buddys truck for his 1st cub cadet(1200), my son didn't know that, he thought we were just helping a friend. I gave it to him on Christmas morning 2007. which started a frenzy of yellow fever. he now has 9 cub cadets and a bolens ht20 with varies attachments that he has worked for and bought every one with his own money by mowing lawns or whatever he could do to earn money. he is 15 now and a very good kid, don't know what I would do without him and all that he does for me!!!! since he got into the tractors, so did I, I now have a ht20d, Pennsylvania panzer, and a just purchased deutz allis. my wife said "you guys are having so much fun with these tractors, I think I want one" so now she has a wheel horse that I built for her and she wants another one.
  • MH81, IamSherwood and boyscout862 have said thanks

#17 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 10,020 Thanks
  • 7,661 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 05:41 AM

My wifes' first and second tractors are with Brian in Texas who plans to bring them up for us. They are over fifty years old and I had nothing to do with them until we got married 35 years ago. I'll fix them up when they get here.

18 years ago when our son was 2, I got him a MagnaTac tractor. He could ride and steer, but Dad had to walk beside him all the time. When he was 12, I repaired a Big Ten for a friend. I let Ricky do the test drive and mowing. He didn't want me to return it. I then found a B10 for him and fixed it up. He spent many hours driving it around the yard and woods trails. He had been using the MagnaTrac but it is rope start and he had trouble with it. He was responsible for me getting so deeply into the hobby.

I was at a friends fixing something for him and noticed a small dirty Timberland LT sitting near one of his sheds. He was going to scrap it, so it went home with me. $70 and a day later it was running. It doesn't have a transmission hump so it is easy for my wife to use. That with a little dump trailer and she has a tractor that can run throught the garden gate opening. The milk crate at the front is very handy.

SD530505.JPG

She spends an hour or two each day in the garden and really likes her own easy to use tractor.

Ricky has been disinterested in the tractors since he got a car 2 years ago. My big(10 trailer loads) Simplicity purchase included a 725 with plow and all weights. I got it started a couple of days after it got home. He is now playing with it.

Keep them all happy. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, August 30, 2013 - 05:52 AM.

• MH81 and Talntedmrgreen have said thanks

#18 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,087 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 06:50 AM

Ricky has been disinterested in the tractors since he got a car 2 years ago. My big(10 trailer loads) Simplicity purchase included a 725 with plow and all weights. I got it started a couple of days after it got home. He is now playing with it.

My Grandfather used to let me mow with his B110, and we later refinished it in AC orange.  That was shortly before I became 'disinterested', also, due to cars (and girls).  When he passed away, he left me that tractor, and i didn't use it for years, until I bought a home and needed to mow.  That was it...fell in love with it all over again, started looking for attachments, and now I've had dozens upon dozens of them.  There are 18 here now, and a new one coming home today  =] 

Ricky may or may not do the same, but I'm certain he has fond memories of the time he spent with Dad and his tractors!

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#19 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• Member No: 10789
  • 8,521 Thanks
  • 4,762 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 07:34 AM

I bought my wife a tractor and she wasn't pleased at all!!  It was too good to pass up!!  I was talking to a guy @ the restaurant one morning and..

He said he had an old tractor for years & he wanted to get rid of it!  

How much???  

Oh...  $100..  

What is it??  

It's a JD 425 but the engine is toast because it has a loud knock..  

Let me get my trailer and I'll meet you tomorrow & I'll take a look @ it..  (I was jumping for joy inside @ this moment!)

Now I already had 5 tractors in the barn @ the time but this was just too good a deal to pass up..  So..  I didn't mention ANYTHING to the wife..  (I know- pretty lame compared to many members here!) :(

So the next morning I arrived with the trailer to pick the thing up and it was in sad shape for sure..  Three tires were flat and it had sat in the spot it was in for many years..  It was pretty rough looking but..  for $100!?!?!?  Load it up!..  I happily paid the dude and went to get my air tank to blow the tires back up so I could move the beast..  Once I got those filled up I removed the beat-up deck so it would fit on the trailer and rolled it up and strapped it on..  So all that pretty much killed the afternoon and it was about 5:30-ish when I arrived home with the thing..  

I had just unloaded the thing and my wife got home from work..  SO she came over to see just what the heck I was doing over in the barn with the truck & trailer?? :tapping_fingers:

The look on her face was priceless when she saw the heap that I had just put into the corner of the barn..  

YOU BOUGHT ANOTHER TRACTOR!?!?!? :cowboy_shooter:  :say_what:

I told her--->  I bought this one for you honey!   :love:   ((I couldn't understand how she couldn't love the potential of this new rig??  Take a look:

103_1894small.jpg 103_1893Small.jpg

Welll..  That didn't fly over too good and she stomped on back to the house shaking her head and muttering..   :hitting_self_roller:  :loosing_it: 

It took me a lot of time & troubles to get the thing back in shape but now it's my main machine and she is afraid to drive it because she doesn't like the AWS and can't figure out how the heck to maneuver it which is fine by me because I love driving it..   :smiley-score010:

Resized1.jpg

• Talntedmrgreen and boyscout862 have said thanks

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,980 Thanks
  • 28,935 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 11:16 AM

It took me a lot of time & troubles to get the thing back in shape but now it's my main machine and she is afraid to drive it because she doesn't like the AWS and can't figure out how the heck to maneuver it which is fine by me because I love driving it.. :smiley-score010:

attachicon.gifResized1.jpg

Nice looking tractor, but I understand what she means by not liking the AWS. Something in my genetic makup and that steering system is incompatible, kinda makes me feel like I'm driving a drunk with oversized clogs on or something.

Great story that I have kinda lived thru. :thumbs:
  • WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you