By way of a update to the Empire project I would like to thank some people who without their help this project never would have happened, Robert Campbell who helped me drag this heap out of a overgrown lot and Bill Prior who got me a replacement Briggs Model B. Yea ! Robert also had a blank rim so I remounted the old cast iron hub on a Firestone 112-48 16 x 4.5 center less rim.The steel rim was a tight fit and a bit of a problem to figure out where to drill the 4 bolt holes,manged to save 3 of the bolts.They are 3/8 x 1 1/4 with a round head and serrated shanks and the square nuts of course. I have not give up on the original engine which I manged to dismantle with the help of a mini sledge ! These are one tough little engines I have ordered new head gasket and mag gaskets new exhaust valve and valve lifters.I took the long trip to Bills last week and was amazed at his collection and wealth of knowledge of air cooled engines he removed the engine from another Empire to get mine going again. Thanks you guys, with out help really this hobby would for most of us grind to a stop. Now looking at a new tire to finish up for this year,hoping to have it rolling next year and at Cookstown for the next International gathering. Cheers Mike
Posted October 28, 2013 - 03:43 PM
- DougT and Alc have said thanks
Posted October 29, 2013 - 07:10 AM
Thanks for the update, Mike. Glad to see you making progress!
Posted November 30, 2013 - 09:44 AM
Today I got some real progress the new tires came from Lorne Koch at Huron Tire they are the 7.50 x 16 lug tires this size was the optional larger size the standard being 7.00 x 16 ". I had spoke to Miller Tire and they were great but we were concerned about the duty so I called Lorne great place to deal. A friend of mine Martin Pope made a call stateside and got me the necessary valve lifters to complete the original Briggs Model B and that worked great ! Thanks Martin. After cleaning the points and adjusting the point tension I got spark,now to do the same on the replacement motor,for those of you who have seen the Model B mag the points are a little different to adjust you use a small wrench and move the stationary contact point.So on to the fuel system where I was having trouble with the sediment bowl so I got a new one from ebay,take a look at the sediment bowl cup on the original.It is a very old rifle cartridge cut down ! To save the crankshaft I polished it with toothpaste as I figured it had just enough grit to remove the rust and staining and would wash off easy seems to have worked okay.Well on to the cultivator. Cheers Mike
Posted November 30, 2013 - 10:32 PM
Looking good, Mike. Glad to see you are making progress.
Posted January 31, 2014 - 01:19 PM
Should call this the slowly but surely venture,ended up having to buy a second rim to finish the wheels and make it mobile again. Good thing I got this old tractor for nothing as I did nor foresee the expense two tires ,tubes and rims for the tractor had a hard time coming up with enough parts to build up a spare Briggs Model B in case the original motor failed.The cultivator is back on after a long search for a 9 1/2 inch support wheel with small bore lucky when I found one I got two so one can go on the plow next winter when I try to repair it back to working order.Soon as it gets warm I just need to paint the transmission and reassemble the tractor and try to start the motor.The height adjuster on the cultivator is still locked up so I need to free it somehow as the tractor is nose down.This beast is turning out to be a bigger and longer than I thought makes the Waterloo and Simplicity look small.Going to take up a lot trailer space. of Pray for spring.Cheers Mike
Posted May 22, 2014 - 04:00 PM
Well the weather has been great and got a chance to get back to the old walker painted the trans axle unit Staten Black and got a coat of green on the gas tank.The controls were a little hard to mount up as the wood handles came from a different source and took a bit of figuring to connect the optional PTO and drive levers. Saved the old throttle lever and connected it to a new cable getting down to the very last bits just finish up the carb and hook it up. Went with the non standard blower housing for now as I was a little concerned with the crank at a show.If the weather holds by the weekend should be done and back to the hit and miss engines for the first show in Keene Ontario at Lang Pioneer Village June 14. Cheers Mike
Posted June 03, 2014 - 02:25 PM
Very nice job on your refurb/restoration of a neat Canadian tractor. Hope to see it at some point at one of the Ontario shows....Dave