Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Cheap Diesel Engines. $300

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
76 replies to this topic

#16 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,520 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 10:30 PM

Considering the conditions and lack of maintenance they get it's a miracle they run at all. Most are mounted near the drive wheels of the truck and every type of junk on the roads get thrown at them. The two I bought were both a problem to the owner. I have never seen anything in my life that took the abuse these things do. Plugged radiators, loose belts, Loose oil filter. Bad idler pulley bearings, rotten fuel lines and I don't even want to mention the air filters. On one the fan motor was barely hanging together.  These things were still running and doing their job. I think to say that they are all junk is a little unfair.

After getting the engines out of mine and servicing them they run like a clock. Been mowing my 2.5 acre yard with one all summer without a hitch. Haven't even had to add any oil. 

I see you did clarify your post. Thank you. My engines were out of the Tri-pack units and are Yanmar. 

Thanks for the information. I was typing as you were posting.

Edited by Cvans, August 29, 2013 - 10:36 PM.

#17 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 10:41 PM

Geez Jeff, wish I heard your views on them before I left.  They say Perkins/Shibaru on them.  These 3 haven't been ran in quite a while.

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 10:43 PM

I got one of the boat anchors lying out in front of my garage, its free for anyone who wants it. I only got it to see how the insides was built and just never did anything with it.

Jeff, I might need parts from it! 

#19 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 10:49 PM

So, how many did you get Daniel?

#20 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 10:54 PM

well to be fair, maybe a non truck use would be better for them. If you took off all the junk that they need to operate as an Apu, they might make a power unit. Everything on them in the truck is belt driven, they don't direct drive anything off the crank. Removing things like the alt current system, the oil sensors, and the other safety switches, and replacing them with manual gauges, or even Murphy switches would be the way to go.  On the other hand the Themo-king units go though the same hell and only about 1 in 10 ever develops a terminal problem, that shuts them down, so that says a lot right there. . I'll have to look up who the maker is of the rigmaster engines. I was surprised when found out it wasn't a true Perkin unit.

On the maintenance factor, our units are all pm'd when the tractor is, which is either an A service(greasing and check the whole tractors condition), or at a B service which is the main oil changing, plus the inspection of the whole tractor and it systems. A's are done at 11000mls, and B's at 22000mls. There is also a computer generate pm list that calls for the replacing of the belts, coolant, and some other things, based on the reported engine hrs. I'm pretty sure that in our case its not lack of maintenance that killing them off.

#21 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 11:07 PM

Jeff, I might need parts from it! 

Well I wished I knew you was looking for some, as this subject came up In the shop meeting again today about what to due with the plié of them in the storage container and the outer building, plus the 4 or 5 I still have to remove from the tractors. A lot of them still run, but use oil, or get hot, or you cant seem to keep an alt working on them for over a few month time.  I took the last 5 and dumped them in the scrap dumpster, because I didn't have any place to store any more of them.

I had originally gotten mine to power a GT, but after I saw the problems we were having with them decided not to. Mine came out after it started to use oil and the driver said he couldn't run it at the truck stops anymore because of the complaints  of the smoking. I figured it had a broken piston ring. I got it before I went to the place im at now, so I don't have any hours history on it, but I will say the tractor it came from was a very clean unit. Now maybe he didn't check his oil like he should have, but after seeing the troubles with the one I work on now, I'm thinking it was just a poor engine.

That Shibaru name rings a bell. I believe its a China maker of products produced for other companies. possibly at a lessor spec.

#22 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,520 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 12:03 AM

That Shibaru name rings a bell

If it's the same Shibaru that I'm thinking of they made diesel garden tractors for Ford for many years. I thought they had closed their doors but maybe not. Japanese in it's origins but that's not to say that a Chinese company didn't buy them out. 

#23 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,520 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 12:07 AM

Jeff you wouldn't happen to have any radiators for the APU's laying around your shop would you? Road salt and chloride has put the hurts to mine. I see someone bought up all the Yanmars that Surplus Center had but they still have radiators for the 2 cylinders.

#24 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 08:30 AM

I just hope between the 3 of them I can make 2 good runners.  Kinda bummed at this point.  Not feeling up to dealing with them at the moment.

#25 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,520 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 10:40 AM

Your not the only one feeling bummed. If I had known what I do now I would not have even posted them. I have a lot of respect for Perkins and that's why I was glad to see them. After the good luck I had with the engines out of mine I thought just maybe someone could use these. Now I wish I could take it back.   :wallbanging:  

Sorry Daniel. I hope some good comes out of it. 

#26 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 11:00 AM

Don't you worry one bit Chris.  I am responsible for what I buy, nobody else.  I figure if I can come out with 2 runners from the 3 that I'm OK.  Just have to wait & see what shakes out.  Looking at the oil pans on these, I'd say they don't hold half the oil that typical APU's would hold.  So I figure the oil gets overworked, or low oil from normal operation use, coupled with bad sensors that prevent shutdown.  I am going to try to fire one up Sunday if I feel up to it.  In a GT with gauges to keep an eye on things, I think these engines should do fine.  Besides, as an APU, they see more use in a couple weeks than they will see all year or more in a GT.

However it turns out, it's no fault of yours Chris!

#27 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,520 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 11:41 AM

Thanks Daniel. I know he said 5000 hrs. and that's a lot for what we use them for. I wonder what kind of hours they are getting with the Tri-pac units.  Was thinking  4000 hrs. on a little Kubota was a lot. Hopefully Jeff will have more information.

#28 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 04:43 PM

I got one of the boat anchors lying out in front of my garage, its free for anyone who wants it. I only got it to see how the insides was built and just never did anything with it.

Can you get this one? It may have some parts to help. If they run and don't seem to have enough oil capacity, maybe a remote reservoir will help. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, August 30, 2013 - 04:45 PM.

#29 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 04:53 PM

We have several tri-pac's over 9000hrs on the original guts. Don't know where the limit is on them. Dan's right about the oil pans, there's a 1.7qt one and a 3qt one. The orange ones are the 1.7 and the yellow ones are the 3.  yes there would be radiators with  each one, ill have to look and see what's lying around loose in the shed.

The biggest difference I can see in the two units, in the tri-pac uses coolant from the main engine, Has a 3 qt pan and is only belted to an A/C pump and its small alt. The Rig masters are self contained, with a tiny radiator, small oil pan, and are belted to an AC generator, a 12volt alt and the A/C pump. There radiator is on the opposite side as the fan, and they use another electric fan to cool the rad down.

the rigmasters make all the heat, all the A/C and all the AC power for the tractor. The tri-pac heats the water in the main engine, makes all the A/C, but its 12volt system recharges the truck battiery, so if you want AC power you use an invertor. With the tri-pac you also get an S-Bar heater, which burn fuel through a turbo-jet chamber and draws 12volt power to run it, and the interior fan systems. There probably other stuff I missed, as when you work on them all the time, its easy to take it for granted.

#30 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 05:00 PM

Note the tri-pac has a 4.1gt oil pan. We have an oil gun with preset amount I just poke one letter and it puts in the right amount. Its a 102* here so i'm just about beat and the mind wanders after a week of this heat again.