Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Bolens Ride-A-Matic, Which Year Is Mine?

bolens ride-a-matic

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Browning OFFLINE  

Browning
  • Member No: 45765
  • 4 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 04:45 AM

We have owned a Bolens Ride-A-Matic with mower and rotovator for about 30 years, and we intend to get it going again after having been in storage with the back end in bits for 18 years.  I would like to know the year of it, but there is no serial number plate unless I have missed a stamped number on the chassis some where.

Back in the 80's I wrote to Bolens for manuals and they sent me photocopies for tractor type 230-01, mower type 22444-01, and rotovator type 23609-02. At the top of the last two manuals someone has written January 1960 and March 1960 respectively.

I have noted two main differences between the tractor manual and our tractor -

1. The front axle shown in the manual is tubular design with clevis type track rod ends.- Ours has an I-beam axle with ball joint track rod ends.

2. The rear gear case shown in the manual has a spacer and two gaskets between the two halves of the case. The diff crown wheel is bolted on and the main axle seal is secured by a screwed on flange.- Ours has no spacer, the crown wheel is an integral casting and the seal is pressed into the case.

Does all this give any clue as to the year?!

• antiquetractors and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 antiquetractors OFFLINE  

antiquetractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6720
  • 279 Thanks
  • 506 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 06:37 AM

The I beam front axle started in 1960. Is the tractor green or gold?
  • Browning said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 07:33 AM

Pictures would help ID it....

#4 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 08:02 AM

:welcometogttalk:  Enjoy the site, Hopefully it won't be long before you get it up and running again.

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,519 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 08:11 AM

Welcome to GTT. You can download several manuals from our "Manuals" section per day. When asking questions, pictures may help with clarifications. Good Luck, Rick

#6 Browning OFFLINE  

Browning
  • Member No: 45765
  • 4 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 08:14 AM

The tractor was evidently originally green with yellow wheels, seat etc. it was then painted blue and when my father bought it in the mid 80's it was red and white,(like the later models I guess).

Once we have got it in working order we want to respray it in the original colours. This leads on to another question - is JD yellow a suitable match? I have managed to uncover/restore enough green for matching and I realise it is kind of metallic and slightly darker than JD green I think. I will post a picture or two if I get round to it some when.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 08:32 AM

1. The front axle shown in the manual is tubular design with clevis type track rod ends.- Ours has an I-beam axle with ball joint track rod ends.

2. The rear gear case shown in the manual has a spacer and two gaskets between the two halves of the case. The diff crown wheel is bolted on and the main axle seal is secured by a screwed on flange.- Ours has no spacer, the crown wheel is an integral casting and the seal is pressed into the case.

Does all this give any clue as to the year?!

Your tractor is most likely a 1960 model 231-01 or 232-01.   ...Both models had a 7hp Kohler engine.  ....The model 231-01 had diamond-tread rear tires, while the 232-01 had agricultural-tread rear tires.  ....These tractors have the parts which you describe above.

The manual for these tractors is posted here:  http://gardentractor...-01-and-232-01/

Also in the Bolens Ride-A-Matic section of the manuals forum are manuals for most of the attachments.

• boyscout862 and Browning have said thanks

#8 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,179 Thanks
  • 5,205 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 04:18 PM

Your tractor is most likely a 1960 model 231-01 or 232-01.   ...Both models had a 7hp Kohler engine.  ....The model 231-01 had diamond-tread rear tires, while the 232-01 had agricultural-tread rear tires.  ....These tractors have the parts which you describe above.

The manual for these tractors is posted here:  http://gardentractor...-01-and-232-01/

Also in the Bolens Ride-A-Matic section of the manuals forum are manuals for most of the attachments.

I would say a 1960 to.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens, ride-a-matic