• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 11:50 PM

I'm not sure when I'll take the plunge but I got to have one of these Bolens H16. I'm not a color man I just like GT. I know a great deal about MF & Cubs but very little about Bolens. How many years was this GT made? Is there a time period to stay away from? Was the Bolens & Husky comparable to MF & MTD? Is the later engine in the late 70's better than the Tec? Are all these tube frames? I know this is a lot of questions but what better place to ask than the guys who own them. Any other info will be appreciated & thanks.

• boyscout862 and OkieGt have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,533 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 08:06 AM

You can download manuals and brochures from our manuals section but we are limited to several per day. Bolens were very popular tractors and I read someplace that they were the largest producer. I have about 9 Bolens. The H16 is probably the best of the tube frames which was the medium size GT. The large frames are alittle bigger and range up to 23 hp. Bolens used several brands of engines and the Tecumsehs are going to be the most difficult to find parts for, but they are out there. I have a not running H14 and look forward to fixing it up and using it. My favorite is a large frame 1250. It has a 12 hp Wisconsin, hydrostatic drive, and hydraulic lift. I'm a retired engineer and like things that are big and strong. The Bolens are heavier and stronger than most other tractors. They are generally overdesigned which is evident by how many are still around. I've heard that "Nothing Runs Like A Deere" but that is only until a Bolens runs over it. They are heavy!

By the way if you are going to move a Bolens you will need to remove the heavy pin on the right rear axle, or it won't roll. Becarefull, do not break the guides. Good Luck, Rick    

• Newpaws493 and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 08:07 AM

:watch_over_fence: I thought there'd be answers flowing in by now... :anyone:

#4 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 08:10 AM

The H16 is probably the best of the tube frames which was the medium size GT. I've heard that "Nothing Runs Like A Deere" but that is only until a Bolens runs over it. They are heavy!

:bigrofl:

• boyscout862 and OkieGt have said thanks

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 10:16 AM

The H16 was one of the later Tubeframes (1973-1977)

I have never been a fan of the Tecumseh engines but others seems to like them.

The Tubeframe series lasted 1962-1978

Personally I like the early year models (1962-1969) which used the B&S & Wisconsin engines  but all of them were very well built.

there were a few cheaper models where Bolens cut some corners in the 70's such as the G9,G10,G11,G12 These did not feature the Locking differential or the automotive style clutch.

• boyscout862, Sawdust and OkieGt have said thanks

#6 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 10:42 AM

My 1977 Bolens H16 moves without pushing or pulling a pin?

• Sawdust said thank you

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 10:45 AM

My 1977 Bolens H16 moves without pushing or pulling a pin?

Hydrostatics did not have this freewheel pin, only Gear drive models......

• Sawdust and OkieGt have said thanks

#8 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 06:16 PM

Hydrostatics did not have this freewheel pin, only Gear drive models......

duh, crum the heat has made my brain soft. well that and the fact that I dont own a geared tractor, I'm just dumb and lazy, lol

#9 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 06:21 PM

I'm not sure when I'll take the plunge but I got to have one of these Bolens H16. I'm not a color man I just like GT. I know a great deal about MF & Cubs but very little about Bolens. How many years was this GT made? Is there a time period to stay away from? Was the Bolens & Husky comparable to MF & MTD? Is the later engine in the late 70's better than the Tec? Are all these tube frames? I know this is a lot of questions but what better place to ask than the guys who own them. Any other info will be appreciated & thanks.

Later Bolens GTs like the suburban and duratracs had Kohler and briggs engines, no need to woory about those. I swore I'd never have a Tec engine but I just LOVE my OH160 and I'd put it up against any Kohler or Briggs, but they are getting hard to find parts for. I do believe parts can be adapted from other brands or we might have aftermarket parts in the future, I'm not concerned,my engine has less than 50 hours on it from the factory. I own 4 Massey, 4 Allis/Simplcity's, 2 Ariens, A CASE, and the Bolens and will tell you that no one builds a tougher GT, even up into the late 90s the Duratrac and Troybilt GTXs (same machine) was one heck of a tractor

• Sawdust said thank you