Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 01:59 PM

Looking at some of your pics you have several water leaking issues. If your not using J trim around your windows & doors your going to still leak. Yes I am using J-Trim. You start with the bottom, top, then the sides.I figured this out, that is why I am re-doing it this way. It's hard to see but your windows look like their recessed a little too much. This is how they were made. I want to address some things based on all the foam you have on the inside. Did you apply any type of sealant on the bottom of your sill plates before you fastened them to the concrete? The outside tin hangs 2" below the slab, the foam in this area is mainly to keep critters and drafts out. Did you also run a bead of sealant in front of the plate where it meets the concrete before you installed your panels? Is your front concrete pad sloped away from your front wall? Yes, slightly Did you install eave flashing & it looks like you don't have enough or any over hang. I used the rubber inserts that are molded to the contour of the tin and foamed it in.  These areas not done right will cause water issues where you have all the foam on the inside like where the roof meets the walls, around your windows & at the base where your walls meet the floor. Only leaking around the windows. I commend you for your motivation & the willingness to build your own shop. I still think you need a coffee pot in there somewhere....it looks cozy.  :thumbs:

I am no where done, once the leaking windows are resolved I plan to insulate and cover this with 1/4 ply wood. Coffee pot, water cooler, A/C, Heater, Recliner (Thinking of a Van's back seat) and a few other items are on the list.

Thanks for the comments.

Edited by larrybl, February 10, 2014 - 08:55 AM.

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#393 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 08:16 PM

Was movie time in the new shop last weekend. Blocked the windows, and put up a large white canvas. Temp was in the 80's 70 outside, the sun hits that wall. Watched some Olympics, The DLP projector is really sharp! trink40.gif I can even use it as a computer monitor. Freezing drizzle and 28 right now.
Edit: The camera flash really dulls the picture, The cartoons are as clear as the one Olympic shot.

The 5.1 Stereo I snagged from the Living Room really sounds good out here too.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1090706.JPG
  • P1090707.JPG
  • P1090710.JPG
  • P1090711.JPG
  • P1090712.JPG
  • P1090713.JPG
  • P1090714.JPG

• MH81, sacsr and oldedeeres have said thanks

#394 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,230 Thanks
  • 5,071 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 08:33 PM

Now that's sweet. How much you have in the projector? I was looking at dlp ones at best buy and they were expensive. I was surprised.

#395 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 09:41 PM

My son picked it up at a second hand computer store for $75.00, The bulb is at 85% remaining, good thing, they are like $150 or so, but I think worth it. The Focus bezel is cracked, but still functional, that may be why so cheep. If it gets worse some JB should fix it. For now I'll leave it as is, it works fine, and I may get back into watching movies instead of You tube vids, OH wait. I can!

Anyone interested in an "old school" analog projector? After DLP I don't think I'll be using this anymore.   

Attached Thumbnails

• P1090715.JPG
  • P1090716.JPG

#396 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 06:36 AM

Now you can take the Gt's to a drive-in!

• larrybl and oldedeeres have said thanks

#397 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,230 Thanks
  • 5,071 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 07:29 PM

That is one heck of a deal. I was looking at 1000 to 2000 dollar projects! You got a steal
  • larrybl said thank you

#398 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 09:42 PM

Still have a leaking issue around the windows. I replaced the top J-trim and folded the ends down over the sides. I called a company that installs metal buildings to see if I could get professional help. They never called back. I have watched about every youtube on the subject of trim. I plan on picking up a couple new 10' trim sections and try again.

#399 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 10:05 PM

I have a huge tube of black silicone I will loan you.

#400 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 10:35 PM

That may be something to look in to. I plan to pull the trim, then work some flashing or tar paper in behind the wall tin so to divert any water to the outside. Right now I am relying on the trim to keep the wet stuff out.

#401 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,230 Thanks
  • 5,071 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 11:29 PM

I just noticed the kids watching a bootleg copy of frozen.

Good movie. Olaf cracks me up.....

silicone is a solution.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#402 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 11:54 PM

I have so much silicone now it is streaking the outside wall.

#403 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted March 02, 2014 - 12:03 PM

I looked close at the windows yesterday and I'm now leaning towards the leak might be in bottom trim now. I did the bottoms different on each for some reason. I think I am only having an issue with one window. We went from the 80's yesterday to a high of 32 and falling today, It was misting this morning and a strong north wind into the good window and so it hasn't leaked. I need a harder rain to confirm the repair, then duplicate the bottom trim with the leaking window.

#404 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 08:47 PM

I re-worked the problem window this week, I added some flashing to the top and down the sides, with a liberal amount of calking. After a light...... and I mean light rain Grrrrrrrrr it still leaks.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1090736.JPG
  • P1090737.JPG
  • P1090738.JPG
  • P1090739.JPG
  • P1090740.JPG

#405 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 06:28 PM

Sorry you are still having problems. Been laid up the last couple days and just spent a very relaxing couple hours reading this whole story. Thanks for sharing it all with us. Not sure what you have there for trim. My steel sided buildings have a J shaped channel that fits around all the steel siding edges and then the window trim is inside that. Seems like there was an inner tube type of material layered between the pieces for when it was snugged up as the seal. I'm guessing things have changed though cause the last one we did here on  the farm was about 15 years ago. My windows are sliders but I don't think that would matter. You've hung in there this far so I guess all can be said is just hang-on some more, wishing you good luck with the window phase :thumbs:

• oldedeeres said thank you