Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,939 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted December 25, 2013 - 10:20 PM

After a long bout with the flu and phenomena, and finally able to get out on Christmas day I was able to look in the house panel. Common is bonded to ground, so I did the same in the shop. With two ground rods down, and bonding the common to ground has solved my problem. Sorry, I am still not feeling well but I needed to get this solved before moving on.

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

• oldedeeres said thank you

#332 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 26, 2013 - 10:54 AM

Sorry to hear about you being sick, Larry.  I hope you get to feeling better soon.

All of my breaker boxes only have one buss for both ground and the neutral wire so I would thing bonding the two on your box would make sense.

#333 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted December 26, 2013 - 06:07 PM

This may appear to be working but like mentioned by Ken, myself & maybe a couple of others have given you professional advice but your not receiving it. This is not safe & is strongly against code. It is ok in your main panel ONLY but not your sub-panel. Your neutral is a returning point for your positive back to the transformer. When you tie the two together at your sub your defeating the entire ground system. I know it's not what you want to hear but when you ask for help a professional will ONLY give you the correct & safe advise regardless of how much work or expense it takes to get the job done right.

Edited by Sawdust, December 26, 2013 - 06:08 PM.

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and OkieGt have said thanks

#334 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,939 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted December 26, 2013 - 07:54 PM

Before I started the electrical it was mentioned to tap directly off the 200A meter feed straight to the 100A shop panel. This would make the shop panel a "main panel". The disadvantage is that I would need to kill the 200A main (which also feeds the house main panel) to work on the shop main panel. I decided to add a 100A disconnect below the 200A meter main, and feed the shop panel from there. The only purpose of the disconnect is to allow the power to be cut to the shop panel without killing the house power. This still makes the shop panel a "main panel". The shop panel is still fed directly from the meter main at the pole. As I understand, A sub-panel is fed from a main panel with separate breakers. This would be true if I taped the house 200A main breaker box and fed the shop 100A box from there, which is not the case. The Shop main panel is wired the same as the House main panel, and nether feed each other.  

I am familiar with electrical safety, as my concern for not seeing a solid ground with the ground check. I feel confident that with two ground rods down (one more than my old shop has) I should be fine. The old shop has stood for 6 years, and I run computers / internet / OTA TV / and a bunch of other electrics and haven't lost anything to lightning (yet). I will keep these concerns in mind with the new shop as I move forward. I may be getting a full building MOV suppressor from a decommissioned one at work that would mount outside the main panel that would protect all the circuits from spikes.

Thanks for everyone's concerns and advise, what I have is a far cry from the extension cord method, and the old shop tied to the house main through a 20A breaker.

#335 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,939 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 09:00 PM

Here is an update. Electrical is done. Next is the insulation. For now I am moving out of the old shop into the new (Man Cave). This post is from the new Cave.

• HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#336 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,939 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 09:00 PM

Here is an update. Electrical is done. Next is the insulation. For now I am moving out of the old shop into the new (Man Cave). This post is from the new Cave.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1090617.JPG
  • P1090618.JPG
  • P1090619.JPG
  • P1090620.JPG
  • P1090621.JPG
  • P1090622.JPG

• Alc, sacsr, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#337 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 09:44 PM

You have to feel a great sense of accomplishment. Looks amazing

#338 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 11:24 AM

I'm glad I put insulation in mine, especially the temp we are experiencing right now.  I just want to know who up north left that door open?

• larrybl, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#339 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,939 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 11:37 AM

I'm glad I put insulation in mine, especially the temp we are experiencing right now.  I just want to know who up north left that door open?

Thanks all, the shop is still basically a blank slate. I don't want to make any permanent things like benches, shelves, or overhead space till I get it insulated and the walls paneled. Once that is done I can then make shelving and benches, and figure out a screen system and mount for the projector. I may just end up getting one of those tripod screens instead of the poster board. The weather has been crazy here too, upper 60's yesterday, even bbq'd, but today it's in the 30's and 25-30 mph wind and will be in the teens tonight, brrrrrrrrr. Yes Insulation is next on the wish list.

• HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#340 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 12:07 PM

Glad to see it all together. Insulating it will make a huge difference this summer. You will melt in there in texas.

• larrybl and oldedeeres have said thanks

#341 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,939 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 10:55 PM

After sitting in the new man cave for a few hours I realized that I still have about 150' of wire that is not being used. I picked up a couple more quad outlets and 20A breakers. I plan to place these next to the switched singles on the back wall giving me 4 quads per side. I also picked up a 220 outlet and some 10-2 wire to install a 3 wire 220 close to the breaker box. Looked up the wiring for this.

I'll probably get flamed but this is what I plan to do.

Future plans (2015) include trading in the mobile home, I will see about getting a new distribution box added to correct my wiring.

Attached Thumbnails

• 30amp_receptacle.gif
  • acwiring1.gif

#342 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,939 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted January 18, 2014 - 05:12 PM

Shop update. After spending a bunch of cash replacing the master cylinder, front capulars and hoses and new shoes on my car, I was able to squeeze out a few dollars for additional shelves, and took some scrap 2X4 and 2X6 and made a decent set of ramps. I still plan on a more permanent solution for this. 

Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• P1090632.JPG
  • P1090634.JPG
  • P1090635.JPG
  • P1090636.JPG

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#343 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted January 18, 2014 - 05:13 PM

Send that 70 degrees up here I have to pull the transmission on the Ox tomorrow.

#344 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,939 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted January 18, 2014 - 05:23 PM

Supposed to be warmer tomorrow and Monday, I closed the roll up door and it's now 75. But my wireless goes to 2 bars. Any recommendations to beef up the wi-fi in here?

#345 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 18, 2014 - 05:28 PM

I used a WiFi extender in my shop.  Works quite well.