3 replies to this topic

#1 coldone OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 08:06 PM

I finally sent my K341 off for a valve job. I requested that the seats be ground, valves ground, and lapped. Got it back and put the valves in (sent block and valves without keepers on them). Sprayed some WD40 on the valves and stuffed a rag in the intake and blew some air in it. I had bubbles all around the valve. Same on the exhaust side.

I stopped back by NAPA, they sent it off, and talked to them about it. They got the machine shop on the phone and let me talk to the machinist. He said that he did the work and that I was over pressurizing the underside of the valve causing it to lift and let air out. (First he told me to reset the clearance, already did that). He was nice enough and what he said made sense, but I have read too many stories of people using the same method and not having any bubbles.

What else can I do to check the seal? I dont want to put the motor back together only to find out the the valve job is bad. The guy at NAPA told me if I wasnt happy he would make it right one way or the other.

• IamSherwood said thank you

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,254 Thanks
  • 29,702 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 08:11 PM

I usually just lightly oil the clean valve face & seat, then slip the valve in, holding it in tight with my thumb, then spray a little car cleaner down the intake.  If it weeps through, then it gets lapped more until no weeping.

• coldone, Alc and IamSherwood have said thanks

#3 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,405 Thanks
  • 1,324 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 08:14 PM

You can check valve sealing with machinists bluing. Spread the blue on the valve and then snap it into the seat and it should leave a clean line around the face of the valve. I think that is how it is done.

• coldone said thank you

#4 Guest_gravely-power_*

• Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 28, 2013 - 09:12 PM

The machine shop was right. Put it together and enjoy it. Please, everyone stop over diagnosing a non issue. Been there, done it!!!

• John@Reliable and boyscout862 have said thanks