So after adding a few more layers out i go to pull the pump. I decide to find the steering cylynder and make sure I am not dealing with a control valve issue. I pull the front screen and find the cylinder. I disconnect the vavle acutuating arm and crank the the tractor up and operated the valve manually. Sure enough its not that simple, so back to the pump we go. I discconect and drain the in and output hoses. The first two mounting bolts were no problem, the third was hiding behind the lower water hose. I finally found the right socket combination that would let me reach it. Out pops the pump. A quick clean up with a brush and purple stuff and we are ready for the bench.
I have to pull the res off and get to the top side of the pump.
The top side looks different than whats in the manual. So I jump onto agco website and find that I have a different pump thats not in the manual. But i do find the exploded view so back to work we go.
But looking down into the big hole on the right I see what appears to be black fouling.
It is were what I am guessing to be the pressure relief system is. I remove the press relief and dig out this stuff.
I reassemble and reinstall the pump. I crank the tractor and still no luck with the steering operating correctly. Its getting late into the day so I pull the pressure releif system back out. I did not have to remove the pump to do this. I decide to disassemble the pressure relief to see if there was any of this stuff in there. SORRY NO PICS of this. I find some of the fouling in the system. The system is pretty straight forward. It is a "keeper" , a valve assy, and a spring. The spring pushes the valve assy closed until pressure over comes the spring tension. When this happens the valve assy moves and lets the fluid move through another section of the power steering pump and back to the res. When the pressure falls below that of the spring tension the valve closes and normal operation begins. The spring pressure is set by the "keeper" which is a threaded plug. I made note of the postion of the "keeper" when I removed it. When I reassembled the pres relief I bottomed out the "keeper" which gave maximum pressure to the system. I reinstalled the pressure relief and replaced the drained fluid. When I cranked the tractor and touch the steering wheel, I had power steering agian :laughingteeth:
I gave it a little drive but I did not want to do much as that I have no idea what my pressures are at this time. I am still blowing fluid out the res but I have made some progress. We will just have to see what the next few weeks hold for this project.
Edited by coldone, November 27, 2010 - 04:30 PM.