Time to vote for Tractor of the Month!
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Open Side Lgt-145 Additional Gearbox Addition?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,428 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 10:51 PM

Hey guys. I need to check back in. There is a flurry of activity.  It is a LGT 145 Hydro.  

I was asking if I could overdrive the pump  by cutting the driveshaft from the motor to the eaton, and installing a gearbox in there.  Looks like there would be room for something in there.  But if it hurts the pump, I will not overdrive it.   By the way this hydro is louder than I expected under load. Exp at lower RPM. 

It does have a high low selector, which I do not understand how it works.

It would be nice to cruise a bit faster between my house and the neighbors.  

My main hobby is working on vintage inline 6 mercury outboards.  The ford just moves them around for me :)  It was pretty rough when I got it from my brother.   Valves stuck, gas tank rusted out, carb barely salvageable.  Even the float was half eaten away.  thank god for ebay.   

I did think of getting 26 tires for it.  Not a big deal, just thinking around this box.

On another note I replaced the fluid with the NewHolland 134g( I think its called that)and put a new wix filter on the screw off remote mount.  The new filter vibrates enough on the motor that it leaks .  Strange?  the old one did not and its the same part #. I even noticed the bypass valve had ruptured inside the new wix.   I can get the part number if you need it. 

Thanks Conrad

I dont have a clue of what you mean by installing a gearbox on the engine to hydro drive shaft? Would you do that to a car/truck?and on a hydro transmission how in the world would you then transfer power to the rearend, by reverse osmosis? LOL

edited, Sorry I forgot the LOL, I was just trying to ask you how you were going to accomplish this, didn't mean to insult you 

Edited by OkieGt, August 29, 2013 - 11:18 PM.

#17 milkdud OFFLINE  

milkdud
  • Member No: 43438
  • 67 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 11:02 PM

I dont have a clue of what you mean by installing a gearbox on the engine to hydro drive shaft? Would you do that to a car/truck?and on a hydro transmission how in the world would you then transfer power to the rearend, by reverse osmosis?

Okie I am wondering if you have ever seen a Ford LGT 145 with a comment like this.  My first time here on the forum .  Feels like your ambushing me a bit.

There is  a drives shaft running from the K321 Kohler that drives the eaton pump.  It is fairly long and there is some room if you cut that driveshaft to make room for a step up gear box .  You could fashion a secondary gearbox in there to run the pump @ 2x the speed of the engine RPM.   SO if your Kohler is running 1500 rpm  the 2x overdrive box installed would run the eaton input 3000 RPM.   The mower is SLOW  7-8 mph is pretty close, and thats the high side.    I would really like 10-12 for putting around the neighborhood. 

But it was stated earlier that turinng the input shaft to the hydro twice the normal speed could be bad. 

Clear as mud?

Conrad

Edited by milkdud, August 29, 2013 - 11:06 PM.

#18 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,428 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 11:09 PM

Okie I am wondering if you have ever seen a Ford LGT 145 with a comment like this.  My first time here on the forum so I would enjoy constructive comments if you care.   

There is  a drives shaft running from the K321 Kohler that drives the eaton pump.  It is fairly long and there is some room if you cut that driveshaft to make room for a step up gear box .  You could fashion a secondary gearbox in there to run the pump @ 2x the speed of the engine RPM.   SO if your Kohler is running 1500 rpm  the 2x overdrive box installed would run the eaton input 3000 RPM.   The mower is SLOW  7-8 mph is pretty close, and thats the high side.    I would really like 10-12 for putting around the neighborhood. 

But it was stated earlier that turinng the input shaft to the hydro twice the normal speed could be bad. 

Clear as mud?

Conrad

I have 13 hydros tractors and have worked on all of them to great extent, My comment wasn't meant as criticism, I merely asked what you meant, I'll withhold my comments until your clear on what you mean, cause I'm supposed to know how your going to install a gearbox on a lawn mower drive shaft he he. it is clear as mud. thanks for your post

Edited by OkieGt, August 29, 2013 - 11:22 PM.

#19 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 31,367 Thanks
  • 41,572 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 05:44 AM

If it were me, I'd opt for the 26" tall tire to speed it up. I have an LGT 165 and yes it is slow. Mine is noisy also, even after a fluid change. Same hydro is in my Sears FF with a lot less noise.

#20 milkdud OFFLINE  

milkdud
  • 67 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 09:02 AM

MY first question:

Would it be hard on the hydro pump running 2x speed?

Skyrydr2 figures out what I am asking right away and gives the answer.

You could over drive the input shaft, but I will garrentee you it will fail !! The hydro can not be shimmed , modified, or messed with in any way to make it go any faster, as it is based on fluid volume.

You think I have a geared version

I think he has a geared version and no hydro. OkieGt

You still think I have a geared version even tho the Gt-145 is only a hydro and the question specifically asked about a hydro.

this guys got a geared tractor, Okie Gt

Skyryder2 confirms again that its a hydro

If its the tractor pictured ubove it is a hydro. Its a 145 . and top speed on these are only 7-8 mph.  Syryder2

You are confused for some reason

The confusion started by me thinking I saw a gear shifter and the OP talking about a transmission/gearbox . OkieGt

You take your confusion to the next level
I dont have a clue of what you mean by installing a gearbox on the engine to hydro drive shaft? Would you do that to a car/truck?and on a hydro transmission how in the world would you then transfer power to the rearend, by reverse osmosis? OkieGt

You now add LOL to smooth things over  But you still stand confused.  

I'll withhold my comments until your clear on what you mean, cause I'm supposed to know how your going to install a gearbox on a lawn mower

At this point I dont know how much I have left to explain?  There is over 2 feet of drive shaft from the K321 to the Eaton Hydro.  Thats a big open space to work with.  Either a small 2x gearbox.  or a secondary driveshaft running parallel to the main driveshaft using a combo of large and small pulley's to step up the speed.   But it was answered from the get-go that turning the hydro 2x its normal input speed could be bad.  Nothing would be a direct bolt on solution. it would take some work with a welder and modify the driveshaft to fit.

I never expected my very first thred on a Garden Tractor forum to turn into this.  I guess I was wrong LOL.

Edited by milkdud, August 30, 2013 - 09:08 AM.

#21 milkdud OFFLINE  

milkdud
  • 67 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 11:16 AM

If i end up painting this Ford, I may step up to the 25-26 inch rear tires.  Ill have to search for a RPM speed calculator and see if its worth it. 

I am going to try  putting 18x8.5x8 Kenda Multi rib tires on front.  They were on a clearance sale and I would not mind a bit bigger tire on front as well.     Stock is i believe 16x6.5x8 I think.

SOmeon before me shimmed up the rear fenders and running boards with about 2 inches of washers all around the mounting points.  I think they wer planning on a bigger tire as well.

Carlisle All Trail ATV Tire - 25X9-12  or Kenda Bear Claw HTR Radial (8ply) 26x9-12

Conrad

• OkieGt said thank you

#22 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,428 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 12:15 PM

If i end up painting this Ford, I may step up to the 25-26 inch rear tires.  Ill have to search for a RPM speed calculator and see if its worth it. 

I am going to try  putting 18x8.5x8 Kenda Multi rib tires on front.  They were on a clearance sale and I would not mind a bit bigger tire on front as well.     Stock is i believe 16x6.5x8 I think.

SOmeon before me shimmed up the rear fenders and running boards with about 2 inches of washers all around the mounting points.  I think they wer planning on a bigger tire as well.

Carlisle All Trail ATV Tire - 25X9-12  or Kenda Bear Claw HTR Radial (8ply) 26x9-12

Conrad

my vision doesn't allow me to see, read, or type reall well I know, I'm very sorry that I have offended you sorry. This is probably a blesing in duguise, these post take a long time to type right and I still get it wrong. Maybe best if I just try and read and not post, again I apolgize for my replies, i thought I knew what I was  reading and tping, but I really wasnt. I do know about some of these tractors, but I dont think im going to be able contribute if i make people mad or offend theem

• olcowhand and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#23 milkdud OFFLINE  

milkdud
  • 67 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 02:32 PM

Maybe best if I just try and read and not post,

OKIE-GT,

Dont stop posting now!  I am just a new guy here.  I probably over-reacted. 

You have 856 posts to your name.  And 830 people that have THANKED YOU.    We just had a communication error.   Very easy to do when writing out our thoughts on the internet. 

Keep up the good work,

Thanks

Conrad

Edited by milkdud, August 30, 2013 - 02:36 PM.

• Rock farmer said thank you

#24 milkdud OFFLINE  

milkdud
  • 67 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 02:56 PM

OKIE,  On a serious note.  If you cannot see the text well when using your computer you can magnify it if you wish.

On a Windows 7 computer:

1. RIGHT CLICK anywhere on the desktop

2. choose SCREEN RESOLUTION

3. choose MAKE TEXT AND OTHER ITEMS LARGER OR SMALLER

4. now you have the choice of SMALLER 100%(default)- MEDIUM 125% or LARGER 150%

5. choose 125% or 150% and hit APPLY.  you should now have larger words to read.

ON a MACINTOSH

1. HOLD DOWN COMMAND KEY WHILE PRESSING THE + key to go bigger.  Or hold down COMMAND KEY and the - key to go smaller.

Hope this can help

Conrad

Edited by milkdud, August 30, 2013 - 02:57 PM.

• IamSherwood, HDWildBill and OkieGt have said thanks

#25 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,428 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 05:04 PM

I appreciate all your help unfortunately sixe of the text isnt the issue, boy was I happy the first time Daniel told md about how to make it larger until it didn't help, dang. Im on the VA list for my fith eye surgery in 3 years actaully teo. I get sooo frustrated making mistakes working on tractors, i have to do the same task some time 3 and 4 times, but as badas that is its nt as bad as offending someone here because i think I know what they are talking about when I dont. I get smarty about it sometimes and dont mean too. I really do kno walot, but until I can see better, I'm just going to have to be more careful. The moderators here have been understanding, helpful and very supportive, some days you can only make so many mistaked before it starts getting to you, but thats not something to hang on someone else. Thanks again

• milkdud said thank you

#26 milkdud OFFLINE  

milkdud
  • 67 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 05:30 PM

I wish you well and let me know if I can help in any way.

Conrad

Edited by milkdud, August 30, 2013 - 05:32 PM.

#27 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,428 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 06:22 PM

I went with 26x12-12 Kenda trenchers on my Masey, I wish I could have got them in 9inch width, on 7"-8" rims anything over 10 inch wide tires your wasting your money, the tire crowns and and you loose widthe. ona 8 inch rim a26x12-12 tire may only be 10 inches wide. It's one reasonI like the ATV tire ITP589 you can buy them in 8-9-10 widths and they dont crown as much as GT lugs do, plus they last longer and have deeper lugs. This may sound crazy, but I think my 25x8-12 inch ITP589s allow my tractor to go faster than the 26x12-12 tnchers. I bought 14 complete sets of tires last year, i know rubber

DSCF3335.JPG

• rustyoldjunk and HDWildBill have said thanks

#28 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,918 Thanks
  • 8,646 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 06:38 PM

OKIE,  On a serious note.  If you cannot see the text well when using your computer you can magnify it if you wish.

On a Windows 7 computer:

1. RIGHT CLICK anywhere on the desktop

2. choose SCREEN RESOLUTION

3. choose MAKE TEXT AND OTHER ITEMS LARGER OR SMALLER

4. now you have the choice of SMALLER 100%(default)- MEDIUM 125% or LARGER 150%

5. choose 125% or 150% and hit APPLY.  you should now have larger words to read.

ON a MACINTOSH

1. HOLD DOWN COMMAND KEY WHILE PRESSING THE + key to go bigger.  Or hold down COMMAND KEY and the - key to go smaller.

Hope this can help

Conrad

I think we have another Geek among us!!   :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:

Mike don't feel bad I sometimes have to redo things 3 & 4 times before getting it right and I can see (with glasses.)  :poke:

• OkieGt said thank you

#29 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,673 Thanks
  • 3,306 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 07:27 PM

LOL you guys stop picking on the poor fella ! He can't see!
Now back to your fender pan , it is supposed to have rubber isolation mounts attaching it to the frame. 5/16" x1" on the rear and 1/4" x 3/4" under the foor rests.

Edited by skyrydr2, August 30, 2013 - 07:29 PM.

#30 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,428 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 09:18 PM

I think we have another Geek among us!!   :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:

Mike don't feel bad I sometimes have to redo things 3 & 4 times before getting it right and I can see (with glasses.)  :poke:

Now you went and insulted him. I'm a geek also, its one of my fields of study in school, Ancient Geek Philosophy , lol can some of you snd picturs