Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Open Side Lgt-145 Additional Gearbox Addition?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 milkdud OFFLINE  

milkdud
  • Member No: 43438
  • 66 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 09:51 PM

Has anyone tried to add a second gearbox between the motor and the transmission?  A 1-2 overdrive  gearbox to double the speed would be nice when cruising down the street.

Anyone tried this?  Would it be hard on the hydro pump running 2x speed?  This would be in near zero load operation times.

ConradFORDLIFT.jpg

#2 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 12:06 AM

not necessary, just adjust/shim the hydro. I dont think I should say how fast it can go, but fast as in car fast. I'm not sure where your getting this gearbox transmission idea, I dont believe that tractor has either, just a hydro and transaxle? Unless they made a geared version, and if thats the case there would be no hydro

#3 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 12:22 AM

They made both a geared and hydro version.How do you "shim the hydro"?

#4 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 04:03 AM

You could over drive the input shaft, but I will garrentee you it will fail !! The hydro can not be shimmed , modified, or messed with in any way to make it go any faster, as it is based on fluid volume.

If you wanted it to go faster it would need to be done AFTER the hydro, by changing gearing in  the transmission or at the wheels some how ? Anything between the engine and hydro will only result in hydro failure.

• IamSherwood, OkieGt and milkdud have said thanks

#5 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 05:38 AM

I wouldnt want to go much faster than they can now......steering is not the greatest on these

#6 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 05:48 AM

I'm real curious to see how it does in the lake, once you get the lower end

back on that tower of power.

Judging by where you've got the cavitation plate set, you must be planning

on wearing knee high boots when you go tractor boating. :smilewink:  :smilewink:

BTW, welcome to GTT. :wave:

• OkieGt and milkdud have said thanks

#7 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 07:25 AM

You could over drive the input shaft, but I will garrentee you it will fail !! The hydro can not be shimmed , modified, or messed with in any way to make it go any faster, as it is based on fluid volume.

If you wanted it to go faster it would need to be done AFTER the hydro, by changing gearing in  the transmission or at the wheels some how ? Anything between the engine and hydro will only result in hydro failure.

True about the gearing, but according to Eaton the pump is set at only 1/3 ito 1/4 its operating pressure, one reason they last so long, I wasn't talking about fluid volume, but rather pressure, no matter really as your right about the gearing, unless you could change that, but again mute point cause I think he has a geared version and no hydro, which he could make go faster

Edited by OkieGt, August 28, 2013 - 07:25 AM.

#8 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 07:28 AM

I'm real curious to see how it does in the lake, once you get the lower end

back on that tower of power.

Judging by where you've got the cavitation plate set, you must be planning

on wearing knee high boots when you go tractor boating. :smilewink:  :smilewink:

BTW, welcome to GTT

I never saw the boat motor until you said something and I went back and looked again,man I hope this next eye surgery is better than the last

#9 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 08:54 AM

True about the gearing, but according to Eaton the pump is set at only 1/3 ito 1/4 its operating pressure, one reason they last so long, I wasn't talking about fluid volume, but rather pressure, no matter really as your right about the gearing, unless you could change that, but again mute point cause I think he has a geared version and no hydro, which he could make go faster

Your correct on the pressure part, but that has no affect on volume at full stroke with little to no load . It will only pump 17 gpm give or takw a few, and the motor side is fixed at 36 gpm. Now i do know how you could make it go faster, but it involves some serious machining . Git yur self another hydro unit and swap out the pump side for the motor side on yoyrs, machine out the motor race, and press in the pump race of the spare unit. Walla ! One to one!! And hang on!!! You should get about 15 mph if you have enoigh ponies.
  • OkieGt and milkdud have said thanks

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 11:32 AM

Bigger tires would raise your speed a bit but there is a limit on that.  Flow = speed and pressure = torque on a hydro. Both these are limited by the design. Maybe there is a way of turning the 2 spped transaxle from a low/ normal  to a normal/high speed by changing gears.

• OkieGt said thank you

#11 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 02:10 PM

Your correct on the pressure part, but that has no affect on volume at full stroke with little to no load . It will only pump 17 gpm give or takw a few, and the motor side is fixed at 36 gpm. Now i do know how you could make it go faster, but it involves some serious machining . Git yur self another hydro unit and swap out the pump side for the motor side on yoyrs, machine out the motor race, and press in the pump race of the spare unit. Walla ! One to one!! And hang on!!! You should get about 15 mph if you have enoigh ponies.

My 1974 Massey MF-14 and 1973 CASE 224 both GPS/clock over 12mph completely stock, but we gotta back up, this guys got a geared tractor, which can increase speed by changing pulley diameters, or so I've heard

Edited by OkieGt, August 28, 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#12 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 02:29 PM

If its the tractor pictured ubove it is a hydro. Its a 145 . and top speed on these are only 7-8 mph.
  • rustyoldjunk, OkieGt and milkdud have said thanks

#13 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 02:41 PM

If its the tractor pictured ubove it is a hydro. Its a 145 . and top speed on these are only 7-8 mph.

I cant see well, I thought someone said they were offered in geared versions, but I understand the LGT145 was a hydro only, not a geared tractor. The confusion started by me thinking I saw a gear shifter and the OP talking about a transmission/gearbox

#14 milkdud OFFLINE  

milkdud
  • 66 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 10:43 PM

Hey guys. I need to check back in. There is a flurry of activity.  It is a LGT 145 Hydro.  

I was asking if I could overdrive the pump  by cutting the driveshaft from the motor to the eaton, and installing a gearbox in there.  Looks like there would be room for something in there.  But if it hurts the pump, I will not overdrive it.   By the way this hydro is louder than I expected under load. Exp at lower RPM. 

It does have a high low selector, which I do not understand how it works.

It would be nice to cruise a bit faster between my house and the neighbors.  

My main hobby is working on vintage inline 6 mercury outboards.  The ford just moves them around for me :)  It was pretty rough when I got it from my brother.   Valves stuck, gas tank rusted out, carb barely salvageable.  Even the float was half eaten away.  thank god for ebay.   

I did think of getting 26 tires for it.  Not a big deal, just thinking around this box.

On another note I replaced the fluid with the NewHolland 134g( I think its called that)and put a new wix filter on the screw off remote mount.  The new filter vibrates enough on the motor that it leaks .  Strange?  the old one did not and its the same part #. I even noticed the bypass valve had ruptured inside the new wix.   I can get the part number if you need it. 

Thanks Conrad

• OkieGt said thank you

#15 milkdud OFFLINE  

milkdud
  • 66 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 10:48 PM

Thats about how fast it feels.  I would love 12 mph. 
Conrad