Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Code Readers.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#31 HDWildBill ONLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,647 Thanks
  • 8,525 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 06:06 PM

What kind of vehicle are you working on?

It's a 2000 Dodge Dakota  V6, Automatic.  It has been running fine since I bought it back in January, then about a week ago I took our daughter to breakfast and picker her up in the truck.  Ran fine to Cracker barrel but when we let I notice the engine rpm up and the transmission wasn't shifting right.  The engine kind of roars.  I have checked the fluid level and it is correct, nice and pink and doesn't smell burnt.  There are no check lights coming on.  I just figured it was a sensor but I wasn't sure which one.

• Member No: 45301
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 07:34 PM

The only thing I can think of that would affect both the idle and the way the transmission shifts is the TPS, but the MAP sensor could possibly cause that by making the pcm think the engine is under more load than it really is. Does it have a kick down cable, I wouldn't think a 2000 model would. Most likely if it is a bad sensor it will be the TPS, sometimes they can be faulty without setting a code.

A vacuum leak would also cause a high idle, but shouldn't affect a transmission that doesn't use a vacuum modulator.

That is an adaptive transmission, it is supposed to adapt to your driving habits and could need to relearn.

• HDWildBill said thank you