• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Super 982 OFFLINE  

Super 982

• Member No: 1605
  • 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted November 27, 2010 - 03:32 PM

I've noticed lately when I start my 682 (Kohler twin KT17S) that the starter does not engage all the time. It spins, then I turn ignition off and try again and it engages and starts right up. Sometimes I need to try 3 or 4 times. Is there a fix for this - lubrication, etc.? Man, that starter is down under that engine - hope the engine need not be removed to work on the starter.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted November 27, 2010 - 03:54 PM

Sounds like it may need to be cleaned....

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 27, 2010 - 06:07 PM

I've noticed lately when I start my 682 (Kohler twin KT17S) that the starter does not engage all the time. It spins, then I turn ignition off and try again and it engages and starts right up. Sometimes I need to try 3 or 4 times. Is there a fix for this - lubrication, etc.? Man, that starter is down under that engine - hope the engine need not be removed to work on the starter.

Sounds like it may need to be cleaned....

I'd say that Brian is probably right. There should be a small panel that can be removed without taking ALL of the shrouding apart. I would just use compressed air and blow out the gear and slide mechanism and then shoot some aerokroil or blaster in there. Work it a few times before you put the cover back on to make sure you got it good enough.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,254 Thanks
  • 28,603 posts

Posted November 27, 2010 - 06:27 PM

I'd say that Brian is probably right. There should be a small panel that can be removed without taking ALL of the shrouding apart. I would just use compressed air and blow out the gear and slide mechanism and then shoot some aerokroil or blaster in there. Work it a few times before you put the cover back on to make sure you got it good enough.

You may want to blow it off again after you get it functioning properly.
The more extra lubrication you have, the more dirt will stick to it & cause add'l problems.
Fine line between too much & not enough.

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted November 27, 2010 - 06:54 PM

Another thing to check. I have had starter drives stick like this and lubing helped for just a little while, then sticking all over again. What I found, is the starter drive, where it bottoms on the starter shaft "step up" when the starter drive returns to rest position....it will wear slightly into the base of the starter drive & cause a binding, locking it in place. What I do is carefully grind the bottom of the starter drive base until the shaft wear depression disappears. Once I do this, the starter drive never hangs up again.....unless it wears down into there again, which has never happened to date. Takes years to create the wear needed to bind it up.

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 27, 2010 - 06:58 PM

Yes cleaning may help,sounds the bendix is sticking and not engaging the flywheel sometimes.If you take it off to clean and /or lubricate it,make sure you bench test it before you put it back on.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,254 Thanks
  • 28,603 posts

Posted November 27, 2010 - 08:21 PM

Another thing to check. I have had starter drives stick like this and lubing helped for just a little while, then sticking all over again. What I found, is the starter drive, where it bottoms on the starter shaft "step up" when the starter drive returns to rest position....it will wear slightly into the base of the starter drive & cause a binding, locking it in place. What I do is carefully grind the bottom of the starter drive base until the shaft wear depression disappears. Once I do this, the starter drive never hangs up again.....unless it wears down into there again, which has never happened to date. Takes years to create the wear needed to bind it up.

Would a shim washer between the 2 help/or do the same thing?

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted November 27, 2010 - 08:26 PM

Good thinking
I did that once and it worked

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted November 27, 2010 - 08:46 PM

Will do fine, if a hard tempered washer. A soft one doesn't last long. I have to have the drive off anyway, so I just grind it down. The less moving parts the better I figure.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,254 Thanks
  • 28,603 posts

Posted November 27, 2010 - 09:11 PM

The less moving parts the better I figure.

One of the reasons I love the older stuff. :D

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted November 27, 2010 - 09:12 PM

Maybe you already did this but make sure you have 12 volts and good ground right at the starter , had a problem on my JD , starter spun but didn't engage the engine , turned out a bad connection .

#12 Super 982 OFFLINE  

Super 982

• 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted November 27, 2010 - 09:32 PM

Many thanks to all who contributed info on my starter concern. I'm banking on blowing it out with air and checking the ground wire - which is visible and reachable. Anything else would mean removing the engine - yikes!

#13 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted November 27, 2010 - 09:34 PM

Keep us posted

#14 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 27, 2010 - 09:43 PM

Many thanks to all who contributed info on my starter concern. I'm banking on blowing it out with air and checking the ground wire - which is visible and reachable. Anything else would mean removing the engine - yikes!

It sucks when you have to pull the engine to replace something as easy as a starter. I hope the clean up and the ground wire fixes it for ya.

#15 Super 982 OFFLINE  

Super 982

• 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted November 28, 2010 - 09:17 AM

Freezing cold here today. Warmer tomorrow and I'll get at the starter problem then - keeping all posted here. Again - thanks for the feedback and solutions.