• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sfournier OFFLINE  

sfournier
  • Member No: 45726
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 02:20 PM

Hey Everyone,  I'm kind of lost here and hoping someone can help.

My wife decided to be a doll and try to cut the lawn the other day.  The battery's been dead all summer so I've just been boosting it to start it.  She however reversed the polarity when connecting the booster pack.  She says it made a funny noise 3-4 times when she went to start it, then when she realized what she'd done and reversed the cable back there was no reaction at all from the tractor.

I got back into town last night and decided to tackle this today.  I figured it might be a fuse or something that blew so I wanted to see if I could get it to fire up by connecting power directly at the starter solenoid.  When I do that it wants to start, but the engine won't turn over.  So I checked the plug for spark while trying the starter and no spark.  

Is it possible that it simply blew the plug while reversed? 

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,500 Thanks
  • 15,397 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 02:28 PM

Welcome to GTtalk. Can you tell us what brand engine it has and what year it is?

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,968 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 02:33 PM

First off Welcome to GTtalk.  

As Brian said it would help if we knew type of engine and tractor.  I believe the first thing I would do is check the batter for a dead cells. I'm thinking she fried the battery. How exactly are you jumping to the starter and what battery are you using? 

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,179 Thanks
  • 5,775 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 02:45 PM

:welcometogttalk: Need more info.

#5 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • Member No: 45301
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 02:48 PM

It may have fried the battery and the jump pack. You will not get any spark if the engine is not turning over.

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,095 Thanks
  • 8,267 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 02:54 PM

Welcome to GTT. More information and a few pictures will help. As a first step, check that you can turn the engine by hand. Good Luck, Rick

#7 sfournier OFFLINE  

sfournier
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 03:17 PM

It's a cub cadet tractor. LTX 1045 with a 20hp Kohler engine. The battery has been pooched all year, I've had to boost to start from the get go.

To jump at the starter I'm just connection there'd booster cable to the red cable port on the starter itself and attaching the black to the frame for ground. When I do this I can hear it turning its just not starting hence why I thought it my just be a spark issue. Or hoped that's all it was anyways.

#8 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • Member No: 45301
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 03:35 PM

It is possible that it blew a fuse in the ignition circuit. If so jumping it at the started would be like jumping it with the key off, it won't fire. Also make sure the clutch is depressed and the pto is off for the safety switches.

Edited by AVB, August 27, 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,968 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 05:24 PM

It has been my experience that trying to start a motor with just a booster cable isn't enough to crank it.  Are you using one of those booster boxes or jumping off the car?  If it is one of the boxes there isn't enough power to fire it up.  When jumping it what mode is the ignition switch in? 

#10 sfournier OFFLINE  

sfournier
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 12:56 PM

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay and thank you for the input.  Had to go out of town on business for a few days so I'm just getting back at the tractor this weekend.

I'm going to take some pictures and such to try to explain what I've tried doing but I'm wondering if there's a way to have the engine start with all electronics disconnected.  Mainly if it is something in the ignition, is there a way to just bypass the ignition to see if that's the problem? 

And I have been trying to simply boost using a stanley booster pack.  It's what I've used all year to start it however so I'm almost sure it has enough power to turn it over, I would think anyways.

Any info you guys can provide is appreciated as always and I'll try to get some pictures up today if I still don't have any luck.

#11 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,968 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 02:28 PM

Your problem sounds like one I ran into recently.  I had a Murray in the shop that the starter solenoid had shorted to the steering column.  Replaced the solenoid still no fire.  So disconnected main wire harness from the engine, jumped from + side of batter directly to the starter and engine fired up.  Connected wire harness back and it dies.  Ran it back to the seat safety switch.  Replaced the switch and all was good.  

#12 sfournier OFFLINE  

sfournier
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 05:08 PM

Hey HDWildBill,

Ok, guess that kinda answers my question so thank you for that :)  Puts me on somewhat of a path.  I should be able to disconnect all the wiring and jump it directly from the starter then.  I've tried that and I had an engine that wanted to start but I couldn't get it to fire.  With everything disconnected, I'm getting spark at the plug but with the wiring connected, no spark.

Edited by sfournier, September 01, 2013 - 05:09 PM.