Jump to content

Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay



Photo
- - - - -

Help. May Have Lost Spark B110


  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 inkman232001 OFFLINE  

inkman232001

    Member

  • Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3783
  • 16 Thanks
  • 59 posts
  • Location: Pennsylvania

Posted August 26, 2013 - 01:52 PM

my AC B 110 is giving me some problems. I can not get it to start. I have checked the spark at the plug and I cant get any, but if you hold the spark plug wire when you try to start it, it shocks the heck out of ya. Iv tested my condenser and it checked out ok, was thinking maybe the points. Anyone one has any ideas? And if it is the points what model of briggs do the b110 have. iv searched mine and can not find a model number to give the parts store to order the points. iv went as far as pulling the engine off the tractor and removing all the tins on the engine and looking but nothing..

#2 LYON222 OFFLINE  

LYON222
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 35942
  • 133 Thanks
  • 115 posts
  • Location: 18343

Posted August 26, 2013 - 02:04 PM

Just to rule out everything… did you test the plug out I make sure it was good? I've felt with bad plugs in the past
  • inkman232001 said thank you

#3 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 45301
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts
  • Location: GA

Posted August 26, 2013 - 02:07 PM

Did you ground  the spark plug when checking for spark? I would either check it with a spark tester or just replace the plug first.


  • inkman232001 said thank you

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

    The Tractor Hoarder

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts
  • Location: Chillicothe, MO

Posted August 26, 2013 - 02:09 PM

Sounds like the points are dirty to me.  Remove them completely and get them where you can see the contacts in direct sunlight or with good artificial light.  Make sure there is no corrosion on the contacts.  Clean them with a folded up dollar bill.  I don't know why our currency cleans points so good but it does.   Good Luck!

 

P.S. a hundred dollar bill should work too - its just that I've never actually seen one.  :wallbanging:


Edited by Gtractor, August 26, 2013 - 02:10 PM.

  • inkman232001 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#5 inkman232001 OFFLINE  

inkman232001

    Member

  • Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3783
  • 16 Thanks
  • 59 posts
  • Location: Pennsylvania

Posted August 26, 2013 - 02:10 PM

 

 

I grounded out the plug even used my spark tester and it didn't light up. used it on another tractor to make sure the tester was working and it was. Iv tried and tested 6 different plugs they all worked on other tractors just  not my ac.  lke I said no spark at plug but if you hold the wire it gets ya good.



#6 inkman232001 OFFLINE  

inkman232001

    Member

  • Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3783
  • 16 Thanks
  • 59 posts
  • Location: Pennsylvania

Posted August 26, 2013 - 02:11 PM

also cleaned the points, took them off and cleaned them to make sure there was no dirt or corrosion on them, even went as far as to try another set of points I had but still same results.



#7 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 45301
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts
  • Location: GA

Posted August 26, 2013 - 02:11 PM

Can the plug wire be removed from the coil?


Edited by AVB, August 26, 2013 - 02:13 PM.

  • inkman232001 said thank you

#8 inkman232001 OFFLINE  

inkman232001

    Member

  • Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3783
  • 16 Thanks
  • 59 posts
  • Location: Pennsylvania

Posted August 26, 2013 - 02:16 PM

no plug wire is direct to coil cant be removed



#9 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 45301
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts
  • Location: GA

Posted August 26, 2013 - 02:18 PM

What about the terminal at the spark plug end of the wire?


  • inkman232001 said thank you

#10 inkman232001 OFFLINE  

inkman232001

    Member

  • Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3783
  • 16 Thanks
  • 59 posts
  • Location: Pennsylvania

Posted August 26, 2013 - 02:22 PM

the terminal is good iv cleaned it and made sure it was tight around the plug.  Iv been running this tractor for about 4 years now and this all started last week, we had a good rain and for some reason water got in the points.  I took the cover off and water ran out. ever since then iv had this problem. iv tried different points and condensers and get the same result.



#11 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts
  • Location: Trenton, Ontario, Canada

Posted August 26, 2013 - 02:27 PM

Push button starter or key starter?  The key starter has one wire that goes from the switch to the mag.  Might be something to look at.

 

wiring diagram.jpg


  • inkman232001 said thank you

#12 inkman232001 OFFLINE  

inkman232001

    Member

  • Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3783
  • 16 Thanks
  • 59 posts
  • Location: Pennsylvania

Posted August 26, 2013 - 02:28 PM

well mine has a key for off and on so you turn it on and use the push button to start it.  I though it might have something to do the the key switch so I took it off for now but still same problem



#13 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts
  • Location: N.E. Connecticut

Posted August 26, 2013 - 02:47 PM

You may have a short of the spark plug wire. It happened to me on an AC B10. Mice had chewed off part of the insulation. Sometimes it would spark and other times not. I removed the flywheel cover and cleanned out a mouse nest. I removed the magneto cleanned it and the flywheel. I used liquid insulation to repair the wire's insulation and reinstalled the magneto. It then worked fine until the mice got in again. It is also possible that the magneto has just gotten weak. IT may shock you but not be strong enough to jump the plug gap. Good Luck, Rick


  • inkman232001 said thank you

#14 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 45301
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts
  • Location: GA

Posted August 26, 2013 - 02:59 PM

Along with boyscout's suggestions I would also check for anything in the points assembly being shorted to ground. Water and rust are not great conductors, but could cause enough of a voltage drop that it won't fire.


Edited by AVB, August 26, 2013 - 03:06 PM.

  • inkman232001 said thank you

#15 inkman232001 OFFLINE  

inkman232001

    Member

  • Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3783
  • 16 Thanks
  • 59 posts
  • Location: Pennsylvania

Posted August 26, 2013 - 03:10 PM

well just got it fixed, it was a stuck valve.


  • MH81 said thank you




Top