daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 07:54 PM

I was travelling home from camp this evening.  I traveled mostly rural roadways the whole time.  Then I get onto the interstate that mostly travels through rural areas.  I am constantly on alert for deer and turkeys.  They both will do a number on your car.  As I neared Syracuse NY, I had a different encounter, just as unnerving.  There is a mall near the interstate.  Between the mall and a not so good neighborhood (I googled some after getting home) the interstate runs.  I saw two young males jump the jersey barriers and run across the vacant on ramp.  They looked at the traffic in the highway and ran across three lanes of southbound interstate.  If I did not hit the binders, I would have taken them both out.  I had blasted on the horn, to alert the other motorists about to pass me ( I was doing the legal speed limit, gets you passed alot).  As I went past them, they turned and I could see them both say, F...you to me.  I can't repeat the salty phrases I replied here.

To say the least, I was shocked.  The same adrenalin shock when you narrowly miss a deer, but these were human beings.  Neither one seemed to care.

That was a new one on me and I wanted to share when I got home.  Thanks for letting me vent.

I'm glad I didn't hit either one too.  I'm sure they were just turning their lives around and the families would not sue............on the first day of mourning.

• Alc, tinbender7, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#2 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,600 Thanks
  • 7,656 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 08:08 PM

I've seen kids walk across or in the street and not get out of the way of cars. I suppose they figure since they're kids we can't hit them.

• daytime dave and tinbender7 have said thanks

#3 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 08:51 PM

I had a youngster that would not move as I just kept easing towards him say to me if you hit me you will go to jail and I replyed in a soft voice yea and you would go the hospital.You should have seen the look on his face as I don't think he ever thought of that part.

• daytime dave, LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,254 Thanks
  • 28,603 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 10:05 PM

Young, stupid and invincible. Thanks for not taking them out.
  • daytime dave and tinbender7 have said thanks

#5 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 11:58 PM

People brake for deere around here, but not people, We have quite a few mowed down crossing the interstate, one trooper told me, they dont see skid marks till after a person is hit, may they need bigger eyes like the deere

• daytime dave, Alc, tinbender7 and 1 other said thanks

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,756 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 05:04 AM

Young and dumb. That is why we can make 18 year olds into soldiers. When I went to boot camp I couldn't believe the way many of the guys acted. On the rifle range, we had been ordered to clear our rifles 6 times. As we were marching away the guy to my right put his thumb on his trigger and blew the helmet off the guy behind him. My ear rang and the victim was ready to kill the idiot.

Those kids will keep doing risky stuff like that until its another teenager or somebody on their phone driving, then our overcrowded herd will get a little reduction.

Just be glad that nothing happened. Be really happy that you aren't and never were that stupid. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, August 26, 2013 - 05:06 AM.

• daytime dave, Alc, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#7 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 06:34 AM

Young and dumb. That is why we can make 18 year olds into soldiers. When I went to boot camp I couldn't believe the way many of the guys acted. On the rifle range, we had been ordered to clear our rifles 6 times. As we were marching away the guy to my right put his thumb on his trigger and blew the helmet off the guy behind him. My ear rang and the victim was ready to kill the idiot.

Those kids will keep doing risky stuff like that until its another teenager or somebody on their phone driving, then our overcrowded herd will get a little reduction.

Just be glad that nothing happened. Be really happy that you aren't and never were that stupid. Good Luck, Rick

I'm in College with 19-20 years, many aren't wiping their own butts and don't have the maturity to be there, fortuantely they only last a semester before attainaing their lifetime dream job of third assistant fry cook at McDonalds

• daytime dave, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#8 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,600 Thanks
  • 7,656 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 08:16 AM

I'm in College with 19-20 years, many aren't wiping their own butts  . . . . .

I don't even want to know how you know that!!!

• daytime dave and OkieGt have said thanks

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,698 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 10:20 AM

We see youngsters down around Atlanta all the time. Most are running from the law. A lot of young people today have no regard for their's or another persons life. The attitude of the world owes me and everyone should just get out of my way really just frost's me.

Dave, you are probably right in that before the body turned cold the family would have a law suite filed. Just think about all the drugs and booze they could get!
  • daytime dave, boyscout862 and OkieGt have said thanks

#10 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,756 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 06:16 AM

I heard on the news that an 8 year old had been playing Grand theft Auto, so he picked up a gun and shot an 87 year old woman in the back of the head. Forty years ago there was a comedian named George Wallace who would say "its a sick sick world". He had no idea how bad it would get. Good Luck to us all. Rick
  • daytime dave, marlboro180 and OkieGt have said thanks

#11 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 09:48 AM

Good Luck to us all. Rick

You said it brother.

• boyscout862 and OkieGt have said thanks

#12 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 07:41 AM

I heard on the news that an 8 year old had been playing Grand theft Auto, so he picked up a gun and shot an 87 year old woman in the back of the head. Forty years ago there was a comedian named George Wallace who would say "its a sick sick world". He had no idea how bad it would get. Good Luck to us all. Rick

It's only getting worse.

• daytime dave and boyscout862 have said thanks

#13 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,736 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 04:38 PM

We were up in Charlotte a while ago and were making a right hand turn from one major road to another.It was more of an off ramp than an intersection. Two idiots on bicycles started to turn right as well then both decided to go straight - right in front of the truck weighing in at 12,000 pounds with a load. I narrowly missed them they they went into the left lane of the turn and the car over there nearly drove under my trailer trying to miss them. The riders never once looked.

There are people who get hit by cars up there all the time.

• daytime dave said thank you

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,397 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 05:04 PM

As far as I am concerned, bicycles do not belong on streets! Those folks think they own the whole road!

#15 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 05:34 PM

I see this a lot. The city is about 9 miles away ( maybe more) I'll go up through it maybe every week once or twice. There is always some kid or even adults maybe chasing a ball, listening to music or on the phone walking right across the street. And then they want to blame us for the accident.