4 replies to this topic

#1 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 05:00 PM

I am trying to find a spindle for my neighbors lawn tractor. It is a Hechinger model 138-658-372. I have searched and found the parts list for the tractor itself but nothing was in the parts list about the deck. The deck is a 38in two blade mower deck. Can anyone tell me where to look  for the parts list or a part number for the spindle? I came across this one on ebay and it looks the same but I don't want to tell him to buy it unless it will work.

http://www.ebay.com/...6c#ht_863wt_932

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,582 Thanks
  • 3,897 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 05:19 PM

Take the old spindle assy. to your local auto parts store.  They can look it up in their "Prime Line" parts book and compare it with the picture.

The Prime Line part # for the spindle's picture you posted from Ebay is

7-04266

• CRFarnsworth and farmerall have said thanks

#3 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 06:10 PM

That style of spindle has replaceable bearings.  They are a standard size, not some weird, one-of, NLA type item.

#4 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 05:24 AM

I am trying to find a spindle for my neighbors lawn tractor. It is a Hechinger model 138-658-372. I have searched and found the parts list for the tractor itself but nothing was in the parts list about the deck. The deck is a 38in two blade mower deck. Can anyone tell me where to look  for the parts list or a part number for the spindle?

Here's two deck manuals:

View

View

#5 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,326 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 10:31 PM

That style of spindle has replaceable bearings.  They are a standard size, not some weird, one-of, NLA type item.

Yep they sure are.I rebuilt 2 decks last month with those exact same spindles.If they just need bearings go to TSC Tractor Supply Or your local Napa.Bearings are around $10 for a set.

They are easy to change to.I did mine with a chunk of 1" pipe,2 big rocks,2 1/2" wrenches and a 3lb sledge hammer.

I didn't have Press with me so I had to make due with what I had at the time.It was still Very easy.

Simple Crude pic explaining how to knock the bearings loose.(Hey it Works) Make sure the NUT is Flush with the shaft before you go tapping on it or you WILL damage the threads.And don't beat it just Tap it.They're not on there that snug.

Spindle + hammer.jpg

They're VERY VERY easy if you have a Press.I did the 2nd set of spindles in my neighbors Arbor press.We have a big press down at the farm but I didn't feel like running the whole way down there just to press a set of bearings out.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you