skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,410 Thanks
  • 3,162 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 09:20 AM

All valid point but the cost difference in gasoline is offset by the cost of diesel . evil doings I'm afraid! And we're paying for it!!
Then we have bio- diesel too. If you know what your doing making it, it works good! You just need to keep it warm in cold weather. But thats something different and lests not go wild over it, it gets political.
I have owned a jeep liberty diesel..... nice little engine and plenry powerful, but the rest of it...... No so good. Also had a ram diesel, great engine, truck...... Well , it didnt hold up well to that powerplant. Consantly fixing the front end and transmissions, finally got them correct and the truck came down with cancer and sucumbed.
But boy that cummins ! Its still going strong !!
So bring on the 1/2 ton diesels and even the mid size rigs too i would love to have a Hilux diesel.
  • Alc and OkieGt have said thanks

#17 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 09:53 AM

I wouls consider one, even though I do not like Chrysler products, although they have improved slightly since Fiat took them over.

I agree, people aren't on the diesal band wagon just mainly due to costs. Gas is sold cheaper by the gallon, maintenace is higher and just the upfront cost of purchase is higher.

Is 2800 that much out of line -vs- like buying a Ram w/Cummins? I don't know pricing, just asking.

I just hope they get this little V6 done better than the 4 cyl in the Libertys, I've read so much about failure wat too early in it's life. Plus the Libbys are just build like garbage all around, not sure why I'm getting ready to put a lift kit on ours other than we will have it for several more years. might as well make it enjoyable as possible.  

• Trav1s and twostep have said thanks

#18 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 10:39 AM

The new diesels are very efficient and run clean but there is no free lunch. They use DPFs and Urea injection to clean up the exhaust and use extremely high injection pressures. I did some research on the VW Jetta TDI diesel and discovered that there are a few weak spots in the system. The injector pump can fail and when it does it pumps metal shavings through the entire fuel system. It can cost up to 10K$ to repair. Also a problem is intercooler icing, which can put you on the side of the road in bad weather. This is more prevalent when doing short trips which because of the diesels long warm up time are probably anything less than 20 miles in cold weather.  I just couldn't buy one after discovering these problems. I also realized that the short commutes that make up my driving are not an ideal match to a diesel. I loved the TDI I test drove. It was a 2l with a 6 speed manual. Fantastic drivetrain and great mileage but innovation often comes with costs and risks and in this case both seemed a little too steep for me.

• Alc and Trav1s have said thanks

#19 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 12:01 PM

I wouls consider one, even though I do not like Chrysler products, although they have improved slightly since Fiat took them over.

I agree, people aren't on the diesal band wagon just mainly due to costs. Gas is sold cheaper by the gallon, maintenace is higher and just the upfront cost of purchase is higher.

Is 2800 that much out of line -vs- like buying a Ram w/Cummins? I don't know pricing, just asking.

I just hope they get this little V6 done better than the 4 cyl in the Libertys, I've read so much about failure wat too early in it's life. Plus the Libbys are just build like garbage all around, not sure why I'm getting ready to put a lift kit on ours other than we will have it for several more years. might as well make it enjoyable as possible.  

Libby diesels were also a VMi engine. 2.8 litres and they used a timing belt.  If regular maintenance is done on them they are fine.  If you neglect them then you are in for problems.  Another big problem with the 2.8 is the EGR system.  A sime Green Diesel Engineering economy or power tune can take away much of the problems related to the EGR.  The 2.8 got the 5-45RFE trans which is much better than the 42RE behind the 3.7.  The Libby platform is not a good one but there seems to be a mess of them on the road.  My 2004 Grand with the 4.7 HO does better on gas than the 3.7 powered Libbys.  The other problem with the 2.8 is getting timing belts and water pumps when it is time to do repairs.  I would only consider one if I had a backup vehicle if there are problems.

The VMi sourced 3.0 looks to be a timing chain but I cannot confirm that as of now.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3.0 Eco.png

#20 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 05:35 PM

I'll bet they offer a rebate on the diesel upgrade or somekind of tax incentive. Diesel is ONLY higher than gasoline, because diesel prices subsides gasoline. if not gas would be 6.00 a gallon.This little diesel will supposedly be bio diesel friendly as well. In Central American both Ford and Chevy sell the Ranger and S-10 in a 4 cylinder diesel that gets supposedly over 40MPG. I hope all you guys have the opportunity to buy the 1/2 ton or small diesel in your favorite brand, it helps America to lessen it's reliance on foreign oil and lessens the strain on the enviroment

#21 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 08:58 AM

The irony in this discussion is that producing diesel fuel costs less than producing gasoline.  The profit margin on one gallon of diesel is greater than one gallon of gasoline at the current price structure.  Add in taxes (federal and state) and it gets confusing to the end consumer.  The discussion is not as black and white as we might want it to be.

• Gtractor, Alc and OkieGt have said thanks

#22 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 11:25 AM

Supply and demand as well as refinery utilization miight be factors in the difference in pricing. diesel is normally just slightly cheaper than gas here but in certain market conditions diesel becomes more expensive. I've heard that some refineries shift between the 2 fuels and don't produce both at the same time. Inventory levels in this situation can have an effect on prices.

• Alc said thank you

#23 mac102004 ONLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1420
  • 227 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 12:22 PM

Wish it was a cummins. I have a 2013 1500 hemi and the fuel milage is absolutely horrendous. Far worse then my 01 2500 Cummins

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

#24 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 01:04 PM

I'll bet they offer a rebate on the diesel upgrade or somekind of tax incentive. Diesel is ONLY higher than gasoline, because diesel prices subsides gasoline. if not gas would be 6.00 a gallon.This little diesel will supposedly be bio diesel friendly as well. In Central American both Ford and Chevy sell the Ranger and S-10 in a 4 cylinder diesel that gets supposedly over 40MPG. I hope all you guys have the opportunity to buy the 1/2 ton or small diesel in your favorite brand, it helps America to lessen it's reliance on foreign oil and lessens the strain on the enviroment

On another forum there is a guy from South Africa.  He has a 4 cylinder Ranger Diesel!  I am so jealous.  I daily drive a 1999 Ranger 4 cylinder regular cab.  I love the truck.  25mpg, and it runs awesome, but with a little diesel I'd be in heaven.

My snow/tow/haul truck is a Dodge Ram 2500 Quad cab.  Love the truck but the 10-12 mpg is terrible.

#25 mac102004 ONLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1420
  • 227 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 01:11 PM

I take it its not a diesel. My 1500 averages 13-14mpg and my 2500 easily does 20-22 mpg.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

#26 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 02:05 PM

The irony in this discussion is that producing diesel fuel costs less than producing gasoline.  The profit margin on one gallon of diesel is greater than one gallon of gasoline at the current price structure.  Add in taxes (federal and state) and it gets confusing to the end consumer.  The discussion is not as black and white as we might want it to be.

I thought I mentioned that diesel was subsidizing gasoline, maybe not, but what your saying is true, Diesel costs should make it marketable at a profit selling for 1.50 per gallon or less. but gasoline cost of production would make a gallon of gas over 6.00 per gallon, so in order to keep us from using CNG, hydrogen, electric etc, they keep the cost of gas to where it is just barely manageable

• Alc said thank you

#27 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 02:07 PM

On another forum there is a guy from South Africa.  He has a 4 cylinder Ranger Diesel!  I am so jealous.  I daily drive a 1999 Ranger 4 cylinder regular cab.  I love the truck.  25mpg, and it runs awesome, but with a little diesel I'd be in heaven.

My snow/tow/haul truck is a Dodge Ram 2500 Quad cab.  Love the truck but the 10-12 mpg is terrible.

Those diesel Rangers all over Mexico, Central, America, and South Amereica as well,, they get upwards close to 40mpg, try to bring one across the border and tag it for a permanant US vehicle and  think you may run into a SNAFU($$$)

#28 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 02:23 PM

I thought I mentioned that diesel was subsidizing gasoline, maybe not, but what your saying is true, Diesel costs should make it marketable at a profit selling for 1.50 per gallon or less. but gasoline cost of production would make a gallon of gas over 6.00 per gallon, so in order to keep us from using CNG, hydrogen, electric etc, they keep the cost of gas to where it is just barely manageable

My dad is a small town service station owner and we have talked about this.  I have also toured a major refinery and looked into the science behind the refining process.  The lighter the hydrocarbon distilate, the more energy is needed to produce it.  It takes less energy to produce diesel fuel and kerosene than gasoline.  Taking that fact into consideration and applying a bit of simple logic that a lower production cost has the potential to yield a cheaper product one might expect diesel fuel to be cheaper. What I was trying to say (and probably failed to clearly state) is that gallon of diesel fuel has a lower production cost than gasoline and yet diesel fuel (around hear at least) is 20-30 cents a gallon higher than the 90-10 blend around here.  I am also aware of differences in tax rates (compare Iowa & South Dakota to Nebraska when to comes to gas prices) which impact the end user's price. 

#29 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 02:46 PM

My dad is a small town service station owner and we have talked about this.  I have also toured a major refinery and looked into the science behind the refining process.  The lighter the hydrocarbon distilate, the more energy is needed to produce it.  It takes less energy to produce diesel fuel and kerosene than gasoline.  Taking that fact into consideration and applying a bit of simple logic that a lower production cost has the potential to yield a cheaper product one might expect diesel fuel to be cheaper. What I was trying to say (and probably failed to clearly state) is that gallon of diesel fuel has a lower production cost than gasoline and yet diesel fuel (around hear at least) is 20-30 cents a gallon higher than the 90-10 blend around here.  I am also aware of differences in tax rates (compare Iowa & South Dakota to Nebraska when to comes to gas prices) which impact the end user's price. 

Aren't we saying the same thing.?The government RAISED the price of diesel so they didn't hurt the economy by 6.00 plus per gallon prices for gas. Oil companies also have a lot of stake in the economy and selling gas, they cant kill the cash cow, but they can bleed us dry

• Trav1s said thank you

#30 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 08:06 PM

Oh my, I think we are approaching this from different point and I was talking past you.  Sorry about that.  I see what you are saying and it makes sense. 

• OkieGt said thank you