31 replies to this topic

#1 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 01:24 PM

A new 30mpg small V6 diesel in a 1/2 ton truck with a 9,000+ tow rating, boy is this going to be popular, its already in the Jeep Cherokee, but adding to the 1/2 ton was perfect

http://www.autoblog....50-option-on-1/

• Gtractor and hamman have said thanks

#2 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 01:31 PM

What about the tractor in the back ground?

#3 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 01:59 PM

Looks like a Farmall H or M.

#4 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 02:20 PM

???? what about it.

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,652 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 03:56 PM

Oh! Now that I went back, I see there is a truck in the picture. Looks like a pretty nice tractor.

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,738 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 04:48 PM

I'm leaning towards it being an H. Any idea on the three government bins? Sioux or Sudenga?

About time a half tonner gets a diesel. Someone let me know when Chevy gets one. My '04 might get bumped out of the family.
  • Trav1s said thank you

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,624 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 04:59 PM

Once you figure in the additional cost of exhaust fluid,  plus the 3 grand extra for that engine right off the top, and more expensive fuel, oil changes, and higher priced air filter/fuel filters, there is no way you'll ever make it come out even.  

I'd say that engine would be a very poor choice.    :(

• LilysDad said thank you

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 05:16 PM

It's about time someone put some sanity back into the diesel pickup market. The super heavy duty, massive HP diesels just aren't needed by most people. I know a number of people who have tried the big diesels and gone back to the gas engines because they weren't saving enough on fuel to justify the up front cost. If this engine proves reliable they should sell a huge number of them. This will put the Ford eco boost V6 in it's place. It only gets slightly better mileage than the V8's. I hope this new 3l diesel can do better than that. 

• Alc and Trav1s have said thanks

#9 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 08:03 PM

Everyone is trying to get in on the fun.  The next generation Nissan Titan ('15??) will have a 5.0L Cummins.

• Trav1s said thank you

#10 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 09:57 PM

I'm leaning towards it being an H. Any idea on the three government bins? Sioux or Sudenga?

About time a half tonner gets a diesel. Someone let me know when Chevy gets one. My '04 might get bumped out of the family.

Your team had one years ago...  But they messed up and dropped it... 

#11 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,413 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 03:31 AM

I think their dreaming on the fuel economy just like Ford was with that Eco -poop ... That  diesel is hard on fuel in the Jeep and thats lighter than the Ram is ? Good luck!!

Now this country needs a reality check !! Why we are still using gasoline is beyond the wildest ...... It costs more to make, and pollutes even more?

They have these new diesels running so efficiently now its crazy! And the diesel exaust fluid is enviromently safe! Infact it can be used for fertilizer. urea (spelling) is used to give fruit trees a straight up shot of nitrogen so they produce larger fruit, peaches,plumbs, cherries ect.

I hope Dodge can make this little diesel work !! I would love to have a diesel half ton pickup !! But I ain't never buyin' a Dodge! :smilewink:

• OkieGt said thank you

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,456 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 05:50 AM

I hope it does well , we'll just have to wait and see how well they hold up in the real world , I thought the 6.0 & 6.4 Fords where good , and they are most of the time but seem $$$ to keep running .

#13 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 06:43 AM

I think their dreaming on the fuel economy just like Ford was with that Eco -poop ... That  diesel is hard on fuel in the Jeep and thats lighter than the Ram is ? Good luck!!

Now this country needs a reality check !! Why we are still using gasoline is beyond the wildest ...... It costs more to make, and pollutes even more?

They have these new diesels running so efficiently now its crazy! And the diesel exaust fluid is enviromently safe! Infact it can be used for fertilizer. urea (spelling) is used to give fruit trees a straight up shot of nitrogen so they produce larger fruit, peaches,plumbs, cherries ect.

I hope Dodge can make this little diesel work !! I would love to have a diesel half ton pickup !! But I ain't never buyin' a Dodge! :smilewink:

But I ain't never buyin' a Dodge!, That kind of bias only hurts you not Dodge. I mean this in the best possible light, but when we close our minds, we only hurt ourselves. I do understand your statement and respect it, I will just tell you that kind of thinking hurt me more than it did anyone else. That said maybe they will start putting small diesels in Chevys and Fords as well, I hoope so, and hope you get one like you want, and no disrespect meant,

• skyrydr2 said thank you

#14 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 06:51 AM

I have spent time behind the wheel of the current Grand Cherokees but not a diesel and they are nice rides.  This would be my choice for a daily driver.  All of the downsides on the table, I think a diesel engine is a better design.

Everyone is trying to get in on the fun.  The next generation Nissan Titan ('15??) will have a 5.0L Cummins.

That is a significant marketing move.  I would like to compare the V8 specs to the I-6 in the HD Rams.  This is appealing but my real choice would be something like a Nissan Frontier with a 4 cylinder diesel and would hope for 35 MPG.  I would expect with a good tune the Ram/GC combo would get those numbers too.  The Liberty Diesel available in '05-'06 would get 35 MPG with a tune from Green Diesel Engineering.  

Edited by Trav1s, August 26, 2013 - 06:53 AM.

#15 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 08:16 AM

Why we are still using gasoline is beyond the wildest ......

Once you figure in the additional cost of exhaust fluid,  plus the 3 grand extra for that engine right off the top, and more expensive fuel, oil changes, and higher priced air filter/fuel filters, there is no way you'll ever make it come out even.  

There's your answer.

• Gtractor said thank you