#16 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 08:34 AM

I have an 029 Stihl I bought new when I had to replace my old 1010 McCullough (sp). Due to local dealers's health, I'll go to Husqvarna when I need to replace the Stihl. ~~ grnspot110

#17 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 08:37 AM

I have a gas Dolmar saw and a Poulan electric saw. I like them both!

#18 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 08:59 AM

All of my logger friends use Stihl chain saws. I have had a Poulan "wild thing" saw for 11 0r 12 years now and it has worked very well for me. I saw up a couple trees a year and do some trimming with it and never had a problem. For the $139.00 I paid for it, it has done well.

#19 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 09:02 AM

I used to always be a Stihl person until I bought my Echo a few years ago.

#20 AcreFarm OFFLINE  

AcreFarm

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 54
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 10:08 AM

I'm an Echo fan. The shop I used to work out of used mostly Echo 2 stroke equipment, and witnessing the abuse they could withstand sold me on them. I've used Husqvarna and Stihl saws, but when it was time for a new one I went with an Echo CS-670. Over 4 years later I don't have a single complaint.

#21 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 11:16 AM

I have a older pioneer that I bougth new in 1981.Its still going today but only as a back up saw now.I use a Husqvarna that my brother gave to me.It was seized due to lack of oil.I put a new piston in it and it ran but poorly.I used it for a couple yrs like that untill it didn't want to run took good.I put a new carb kit and plug but still didn't run too good.One day I tried to start it there was a loud bang and the muffler kinda blew apart a bit.I had to fix that and to my surprise when I took the muffler halves apart I found that there was a spark arrestor screen inside plugged solid.I threw it away put the muffler back on and the saw started and ran like a top.It's been working good since then.That was my first experience with a spark arrestor screen.Larry

#22 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 02:27 PM

I have three chain saws. I first bought a Sears electric chain saw for light, suburban use. Then I got a Sears (Poulan) saw. It has lasted a great long time. I also just picked up my latest chainsaw. The one that came with my Elec Trak. That saw is built like a tank and was obviously used quite alot by the previous owner. I hope it enjoys semi-retirement now.

#23 Tinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinkerer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 259
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 09:26 PM

My other hobby besides collecting tractors is collecting chainsaws. My favorite is a Makita DCS 520i which is actually made by Dolmar in Germany. My next favorites are my Jonsered 621 and 80. Oldies but goodies even though they are heavy. After these is my Homelite Super EZ Automatic. My collection of saws that run is around 10. I have 6 or so more that I haven't got running yet. My main hobby is small engine repairs so I collect anything with an engine on it that people are throwing away.

#24 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 09:37 PM

I use a little 33cc poulan, it's untouchable. I can run it all day only stopping for gas and bar oil with out a complaint except from my back. I must say though in comparison, my saw is lighter, and can do just as good of a job as a bigger stihl, but I get less back ache from my poulan.

#25 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 - 03:19 AM

Husqvarna, love it. My neighbor has an echo and a sthil, seems like he's always having problems. I've had two poulans, and I liked them for what they were. Cheap, light, and run pretty good, as long as you treat themlike granny's good silverware, but the first time you gotta really make them work it's over...