• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 07:08 PM

The kit looks good to me. The spring is good too, I read that on the old springs you could stretch them out to make the pump work better.So the longer spring will make it work better.

Take a look at the second photo, that pump halve ( that the spring goes in) has discoloration in 4 spots between the screw holes. That is just where the pump I just rebuilt was warped. It looked just like that too! Put a square across all 4 sides and see if there is a gap in the dark stained locations. What happens is it will suck in air at those points and not allow the diaphragm to build the pressure needed to pump the fuel.

Let me know what you find. And good luck.

• Gfann said thank you

#17 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10613
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 08:06 PM

I see what you mean.

#18 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 10:32 AM

Got it done and pumping! Seems to be working good. I didn't make a video, but I took some good pics. Let me know what you think of the hose I was concerned with it being routed like that from the (pump) out to the carburator. Even though the gas is pumping through the pump the tractor wouldn't start. I'm heading back out to check it out and make sure there is gas in it and in the head. I was having having starting problems before that's what motivated me to fix the pump.

I also checked for warping but I couldn't see any gaps or dips in any area where the diaphragm seats. I ran the edge of a sheet of glass across the areas between the screw holes and couldn't see anything. So I gave it a shot, seems OK.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• chris m and LilysDad have said thanks

#19 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 12:14 PM

Well I was trying to start it again. Won't start. The carb is open. I blew through the fuel inlet and flipped it over blew again seem fine. One way air goes throu the other no. The float and needle seem fine. I check the starter, it's making contact with the gear wheel. I have spark. But for some reason gas isn't getting to the head or really throu the carb it seems. Pump seems is pumping gas. It comes out the hose pretty getting when you try starting it. Gotta charge the battery now. I'm going to let set while I do that. If I work to much on a problem sometimes I make it worse thinking about and running throu the ol' noggin can sometimes get the answer a lot better.

Come-ooon epiphany!

#20 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 08:12 PM

Did you do a rebuild on your carb yet?? It sounds like one or more of the ports inside the carb may be plugged.

• Gfann said thank you

#21 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 08:28 PM

No, the tractor was running then it stopped the other day. The carb should be good but of of course it only takes a little piece of something to cause problems. I probably will have to rebuild it. The wiring is a bit questionable its old a dry and I have had a issue in the past with a bare wire. At the moment it won't start. I think the starter switch is bad or dirty all the wire connection are dirty actually tomorrow I'm going to go through and check and replace the wiring. Pick up a new starter switch and go from there. But the pump does seem to pumping like a champ, when the engine turns the gas moves throu it. I noticed an advantage to the pump there is no need really for a shut off valve in the fuel line. When the engines off the gas can't move throu the pump. I have to check if I have the gaskets for the carb. The tractor needs to be thoroughly cleaned. It hasn't really been taken care of properly that is before me, of course.
  • chris m said thank you

#22 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 09:14 PM

Just take your time and clean and check every connection.

I just got done getting a Norcold LP gas frige working, I was told by the PO that a service tech said it needed a new power supply board that costs $150.00. (not installed)

I checked everything and found the Data cable socket was missing a prong, I soldered in a separate wire. Flipped the switch to gas and it lit right off!

On the same Motor home, the Onan generator wasn't running. One of the many problems I found was the PO put the condenser wire on the + side of the coil.

Moral of this story, Check every connection! :D

GOOD LUCK :thumbs:

• LilysDad and Gfann have said thanks

#23 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 08:02 AM

I had one pump that had the inlet and outlet on opposite sides from the usual. Can the top just be rotated 180 to do this?

#24 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 09:16 AM

Actually, I don't see why not. The inlet would just have more length to it but would be level.. My other concern was the fuel line itself running from the pump out to the carb being to big I was wondering if a smaller diameter hose like the old rigid brass lines would work better the smaller diameter line would have less volume or wieght working against the pump tring to push the fuel up to the carb. Anyone have an opinion on that?