23 replies to this topic

#1 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10613
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 09:37 PM

Haven't really had to do much with fuel pumps on a Kohler but I have a k161 on a Speedex that has one which doesn't work so I was looking at it to see if it can be repaired. This particular pump says carter N on it. Ive only seen kohler pumps with the levers that ride on the cam shaft. This pump has no lever are there such pumps as that or would you say that it is missing? Anyone familur with these pumps that can lend me their insight. From what I've read the diaphrams don't typically go bad the poppet lever does which I'm guessing is the lever I'm inquiring about. I suspect it went bad and someone possible took it off to prevent internal damage, and left rhe pump housing to block the hole. But I'm not sure. The way it is now I don't really see how it would pump anything unless the crankcase was air tight and the internal movement caused the diaphram to fluctuate but that doesn't seem right.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Greg.
  • boyscout862 and T Guiles have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 04:37 AM

The fuel pump on my K181 is bolted onto the side of the engine and is vacuum activated as you describe. The diaphragms do go bad with age and methanol. Replacement diaphragms are few and far between. New pumps are very expensive. You may have to rig up a universal type pump. Good Luck, Rick
  • Gfann and T Guiles have said thanks

#3 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 25, 2013 - 06:44 AM

The fuel pump should have had a lever on it actuated by the cam. I have seen the lever removed a couple of times. If your fuel tank is higher than the carb., then you probably don't need a fuel pump. If not higher, then pumps are available here and are inexpensive, http://www.psep.biz/store/kohler_fuel_pumps.htm and repair kits here, http://www.psep.biz/..._fuel_pumps.htm. Good luck.

• boyscout862, Gfann and T Guiles have said thanks

#4 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 08:05 AM

If it is just a diaphragm, I would contact these folks for help.

http://www.maritimed...ohler_pumps.pdf

• boyscout862, Gfann and T Guiles have said thanks

#5 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 25, 2013 - 08:33 AM

Thanks LD, that is the other link I thought I posted.

• LilysDad, Gfann and T Guiles have said thanks

#6 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 08:36 AM

This looks like a good option. I'd like to keep the original hardware on it. I'll try to give them a call today or tomorrow. Not a bad price either.
  • T Guiles said thank you

#7 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 12:31 PM

Thanks for all the input, gives me a great option to rebuild the pump instead of buying a new one thank's again

• Gfann said thank you

#8 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 01:23 PM

I called the number on the PDF got a hold of then and now, ordered a new rebuild kit, it was actually $27.5 + shipping, but still a good price. I'll have to let you guys now how it turns out. It'll help out pretty good on the S18 the tank is small and sets a bit low on the back side of the engine. It'll run until you get low on gas but sense the tank is small it doesn't take long. Ounce I get all the bits fixed and tweaks greased, I'll make plans for a restore. This should be pretty easy to do not a whole lot of body to deal with.

Edited by Gfann, August 27, 2013 - 01:25 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#9 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 04:49 PM

If you take step by step photos and post on here, others can see how easy it is.

• boyscout862 and Gfann have said thanks

#10 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 04:51 PM

Sounds like a good idea, I'll do that. Maybe I'll do a video too.
  • boyscout862 and LilysDad have said thanks

#11 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 07:23 PM

Please let us know if everything fits like it should.

I have read some posts on another forum complaining about some of the repair kits...The 4 holes in the diaphragm were not the correct distance apart......

• Gfann said thank you

#12 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 07:10 PM

I want to add one thing to check,  I had another member send me his original Kohler pump that wasn't working, He took it apart cleaned it and replaced the diaphragm and it still wouldn't pump.

What I found was, the two pump halves (with the 4 screws) was warped bad, there was at least a .020 gap  when the 2 pieces were screwed together.So what was happening was it wasn't  allowing the pump to create suction as it was leaking down through the gap.

I removed the majority of the warp with a file, I then used a piece of emery paper mounted on a thick piece of glass to lap it the rest of the way straight.(Just like doing a cylinder head or carb mounting flange.)

After I put it together It pumped gas great. And is now back on his tractor working as it should.

So when you take them apart, just put a square across the surfaces to be sure they are straight.

I'll also be interested to see how those rebuild kits work out! Good luck :thumbs:

• boyscout862, LilysDad and Gfann have said thanks

#13 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 07:45 PM

So much pressure on me now. Getting stage fright. I see that Then and Now sent the charge through. So I'm just waiting to get it. Hopefully soon. I'll take comparative pictures of the old diaphragm and new to let you guys see how it measures up. At this put Im hopeing all the problem is going to be the diaphragm. It was pretty crusty. I think the gas settled in the pump and caused it to get stuff. When I separated the pump it was seated together real tight. But we will see...

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by Gfann, August 28, 2013 - 08:14 PM.

• chris m, boyscout862 and LilysDad have said thanks

#14 Gfann ONLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 10:23 AM

Got the rebuild kit today. Diaphragm checks out ok. I'll be getting into it later today I think. THe total cost, was $27.5 + shipping. $36. Not bad if it works. I think well get it working though.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• boyscout862 and LilysDad have said thanks

#15 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 04:59 PM

Ok got the fuel pump off. The kit contains components that are not apparently for this pump although the the components I need are in the kit. You can see in the pic. Perhaps you guys can shed some insight. Everything seems to check out but the springs in the kit are a bit longer and the rubber stops are smaller then the ones I removed from the pump. The pump housing had some crust in it so I letting it soak to get all junk out of it and clean it up. Then tomorrow I'll see about getting it back together. Not sure about the spring a rubber stop situation though. Looks like if I need to I can use the old springs but the smaller stop my be an issue not sure itll fit properly. The old stops are pretty dried out. But I was thinking too that the old stop may be bigger do to crude build up. But I'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• Oldford said thank you