#1 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 08:18 PM

I just acquired a '69 JD 140, my first GT. I'm having fun figuring everything out, even the messed-up stuff. For example, it has a Walbro #52 carb, which is giving me fits. It won't run well at full throttle. From what I can find, this carb is too small. Can anyone here confrm this? I appreciate any help!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 08:43 PM

I had a Walbro on my 120 that I fought since the day I got it.  When I put the 120 back together after the repaint it was a problem once again.  I ended up hunting down a Kohler/Carter 26 off of a Deere to replace the Walbro.  That was some of the best money spent on the entire project.  I would suggest hunting down a Carter/Kohler 30 (or a rare/hard to find 28) and be done with it.  

My experience/reading has lead me to believe that a Walbro either works or not.  If not then replace it with a Kohler and get on with life.

• SupplySergeant said thank you

#3 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 08:59 PM

I would suggest hunting down a Carter/Kohler 30 (or a rare/hard to find 28) and be done with it.

I was afraid this was what I'd hear. Momma isn't ready to let go of much more money right now, so I'm trying to avoid part-replacement troubleshooting. Of course, I haven't ruled out a bad condenser or coil, either.

#4 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 09:02 PM

Oh... you can have my old Walbro if that would help.  :smilewink:  Send me your address by private message and I will mail that pain in the _____ to you.  I know the pain well as I have overdrawn my account with the BoW (Bank of Wife) several times.  :bigrofl:

Edited by Trav1s, August 24, 2013 - 09:05 PM.

• twostep and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#5 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 09:43 PM

Oh... you can have my old Walbro if that would help.  :smilewink:  Send me your address by private message and I will mail that pain in the _____ to you.  I know the pain well as I have overdrawn my account with the BoW (Bank of Wife) several times.  :bigrofl:

Much as I appreciate the offer, I think I'll wait till my Momma-credit is sufficient to find a Carter #30! Thanks for the BoW chuckle, my wife cracked up over it. Her laughing goes a long way towards earning me a little leeway.

• Trav1s and twostep have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,796 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 04:54 AM

Welcome to GTT. Did you do a full rebuild? Sometimes passages are plugged and need alot of effort to clean. It took me weeks to clean an old Briggs that had a plugged high speed passage. I used a little vinegar into the passage and let it sit for a day and then repeated. Every few days I would try blowing through with high pressure air. Finally, it worked. Good Luck, Rick

#7 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 25, 2013 - 06:51 AM

I have found that with a Walbro you have to remove the welch plug and clean. No getting around it..

#8 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 07:22 AM

If you want to play with my old walbro I will gladly ship it (and a bunch of rebuild parts) to you to mess around with.  The BoW is OK with pre-authorized purchases but it is those spontaneous purchase that throw me into overdraft.  The 100% interest on the overdraft is rough on the project because cause one to go over budget instantly. :wallbanging:

#9 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 01:44 PM

If you want to play with my old walbro I will gladly ship it (and a bunch of rebuild parts) to you to mess around with.  The BoW is OK with pre-authorized purchases but it is those spontaneous purchase that throw me into overdraft.  The 100% interest on the overdraft is rough on the project because cause one to go over budget instantly. :wallbanging:

Thanks, I'll shoot you a PM. My BoW branch is actually doing a great job getting ahead of bills and setting us up for success, I'm transitioning from the Army (full-time National Guard service) to civilian life, so that's been tough on her.

I have found that with a Walbro you have to remove the welch plug and clean. No getting around it..

Appreciate the advice, I'll keep it in mind as I work through this.

Welcome to GTT. Did you do a full rebuild? Sometimes passages are plugged and need alot of effort to cln shoot to ean. It took me weeks to clean an old Briggs that had a plugged high speed passage. I used a little vinegar into the passage and let it sit for a day and then repeated. Every few days I would try blowing through with high pressure air. Finally, it worked. Good Luck, Rick

Rick, I haven't actually even removed the carb yet. I am starting to suspect the coil or condenser. I replaced the plug wire yesterday, with one from my Ford 9N (another major project!), and noticed the coil tower was cracked and the condenser was oily. I'll try to replace those, then shoot to fix or replace the carb.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 02:47 PM

Oh yes the transition from military to civilian life! I remember it well!   When I was dating my wife I came to Atlanta for a visit.  I was a chief at the time.  My wife-to-be introduced me to a client of hers that was a retired Master Chief.  He gave me one piece of advice and it proved true with my transition and quite a few of my buddies as well.  He told me not to get down and out after I retired and went from job to job.  He said it would take a while for me to find my niche but that I would eventually find it.  It took about 3 years for me to finally settle into something I enjoyed and make a good living from.  So if things don't go exactly as planned right of the bat don't let it get you down.

Rick is right, remove all welch plugs, especially with the Walbro carburetors.  I like to soda blast the carburetors I do and then rinse them thoroughly and blow them out.  If I have one especially dirty I will let it soak in mineral spirits over night then blast it.

Welcome to the Forum and from one vet to another Thanks for your service.

• boyscout862 and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#11 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 03:19 PM

Oh yes the transition from military to civilian life! I remember it well!   When I was dating my wife I came to Atlanta for a visit.  I was a chief at the time.  My wife-to-be introduced me to a client of hers that was a retired Master Chief.  He gave me one piece of advice and it proved true with my transition and quite a few of my buddies as well.  He told me not to get down and out after I retired and went from job to job.  He said it would take a while for me to find my niche but that I would eventually find it.  It took about 3 years for me to finally settle into something I enjoyed and make a good living from.  So if things don't go exactly as planned right of the bat don't let it get you down.

Rick is right, remove all welch plugs, especially with the Walbro carburetors.  I like to soda blast the carburetors I do and then rinse them thoroughly and blow them out.  If I have one especially dirty I will let it soak in mineral spirits over night then blast it.

Welcome to the Forum and from one vet to another Thanks for your service.

Thanks for the advice, Senior Chief. I just finished a tour at Camp Lemonier, Dijbouti. It was my first time on a Navy-run installation, definitely a different mindset for me! Fortunately,  I was a journeyman toolmaker before I went fulltime with the Guard, and industry is picking up around here. I do the ACAP transition program all next week, including three full days of employment workshops, and am lucky enough to have the local apprenticeship coordinator for the National Tooling and Machining Association shopping my resume around. Things are looking pretty good on that front!

I plan to get a rebuild kit and tear that carb down to bare metal, appreciate the advice!

• HDWildBill said thank you

#12 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 04:49 PM

Things are a lot different then when I retired.  They had a few seminars when I retired, mainly VA and Survivors benefits, but it sounds like the Guard is doing a pretty good job so you can have an easier transition.    Good luck Sarge and keep us posted on your JD140 project.

#13 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 08:03 AM

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the church of the JD140! I've got a '69 model H3 that I mow with every week.

I'm just up/down the road from you, I work in Lex and live in Berea.

now... :wewantpics:

• Trav1s and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#14 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 03:46 PM

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the church of the JD140! I've got a '69 model H3 that I mow with every week.

I'm just up/down the road from you, I work in Lex and live in Berea.

now... :wewantpics:

I promise I'll put up pics as soon as I can, stuck at Ft Knox this week. I used to work in Lex, at the National Guard armory behind the airport. Small world!

Things are a lot different then when I retired.  They had a few seminars when I retired, mainly VA and Survivors benefits, but it sounds like the Guard is doing a pretty good job so you can have an easier transition.    Good luck Sarge and keep us posted on your JD140 project.

Actually, Congress mandated most of the transitional stuff after the rash of military suicides the last few years. They really are doing a great job ensuring you know what resources are out there and how to get to them.

Edited by SupplySergeant, August 27, 2013 - 03:47 PM.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#15 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 04:08 PM

OK, as promised.

ff763d51-78db-4fc1-960f-7a89eb44fd84_zps

Hood needs work, but I think it's something I can handle.

81215596-8862-4919-8f88-fa8a67da717a_zps

This bothers me, but cosmetics are still a long way down the list.

468b954a-1803-4535-8ada-f9194b5c9538_zps

Finally, the whole old girl. I knocked a tire off the rim last night, grrr.... At least no holes in it.

[url=http://s757.photobuc...ae16d.jpg.html]9b91a30a-2f09-4949-8610-c7cd5f9fe850_zps[/URL

Anyone want to trade me some 23x8.5.12 ag tires for these 23x10.5x12 turfs?]

Edited by SupplySergeant, August 27, 2013 - 04:23 PM.