#1 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,292 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 06:27 PM

I got another Bolens.Swapped for my little Sears Custon 10XL.You Bolens guys will understand.They're just 2 totally different animals.

This one is a strong runner but needs a complete rewire and a voltage regulator but I MAY have 1 if the spare one off of my 1250 will work.It looks a bit different internally.It's a bit bigger and has 3 relays in it instead of 2.And the Solenoid is shot as you can tell by the nice bent piece of battery box where the solenoid is.PO did that instead of unbolting it. 

Bolens 1254 with Wisconsin S12D?

Front Plow and a good solid deck.

I plan on using it primarily for plowing and Tilling and use the little 800 for mowing and towing my little trailer around.

I put a set of decent tires and rims on it that I had laying around.

000_0187.JPG 000_0188.JPG 000_0189.JPG

000_0190.JPG 000_0191.JPG

Spare 23x10.50 12 tires and rims

000_0192.JPG

Deck and Plow

000_0193.JPG

• Newpaws493 and OkieGt have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,672 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 06:31 PM

Congrats on the new Bolens

I understand wanting to trade the Sears for the Bolens (Sorry sears guys :D) :poke:

Looks like someone swapped the engine out, but seems like a solid machine.

Original engine should be the TRA-12D

• EricFromPa and OkieGt have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,672 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 06:32 PM

Looks like a Tecumseh HH series engine is in it but someone put a wisconsin Carb and air cleaner elbow on it....

• EricFromPa said thank you

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,292 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 06:39 PM

Looks like a Tecumseh HH series engine is in it but someone put a wisconsin Carb and air cleaner elbow on it....

I have no idea Brian but it seems to run pretty good.

I just went out and looked at the Engine ID tag.It is an HH120.

That would explain why the throttle is a bit twitchy.The linkage is for a Tech LME carb also.I really didn't get a chance to look it over so there may be other things that need atention.

Will a carb off of a OH120 work on it?I may know where there is 1 that I can get on the cheap.

My neighbor has a 1254 with the same HH120 Tech engine in it but his has the Ring gear starter.I know 1 thing that needs done asap is the mouse hotel in the blower housing needs to be taken out.The 800 I got the other day had a mouse hotel in it also. :rolling:

Edited by EricFromPa, August 24, 2013 - 06:53 PM.

#5 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 06:56 PM

That's a nice solid tractor you got there. Your Sears was nice but I think you will like the Bolens better. Those tires look great on there too. I think a carb from a OH120 will work. I believe that a HH120 and an OH120 are basically the same engine other than on is a flathead and the other has overhead valves. Also it seems like Tecumseh made most of there carbs so that they have the same outer dimensions and most of the linkages the same. I took a carb off a 10hp tec and put it on a 3.5hp Tec and it was a direct bolt on and hook up.

Also I will have the spring for the 800 in the mail for you on Monday.

#6 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 07:18 PM

I'm not sure but I think that piece of tin the solenoid hooks to came bent like that, or at least a little, can any of you Bolens guys verify that.

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,672 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 07:23 PM

I'm not sure but I think that piece of tin the solenoid hooks to came bent like that, or at least a little, can any of you Bolens guys verify that.

They were straight.

It was quite common for the owner to bend them back....

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,292 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 08:22 PM

Will a regulator from a 1250 work on this?

The one that's on the 1254 will work but the rubber isolators are all ripped.

The 1250 Regulator that I have has 3 relays and the one on the 1254 has 2 relays.

The PO gave me a New 5 prong ignition switch but I'm going to wire the Kill wire to a simple 1 wire toggle switch off of an old weedeater.Just to make sure that coil doesn't get any power back to it.

Can't afford to be buying a new $150+ SSI coil if a $12 ignition switch fails.

Edited by EricFromPa, August 24, 2013 - 09:00 PM.

• OkieGt said thank you

#9 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 10:14 PM

Will a regulator from a 1250 work on this?

The one that's on the 1254 will work but the rubber isolators are all ripped.

The 1250 Regulator that I have has 3 relays and the one on the 1254 has 2 relays.

The PO gave me a New 5 prong ignition switch but I'm going to wire the Kill wire to a simple 1 wire toggle switch off of an old weedeater.Just to make sure that coil doesn't get any power back to it.

Can't afford to be buying a new $150+ SSI coil if a $12 ignition switch fails.

Are you planning on keeping the switch in this way or changing it out when you get the problems fixed? I never understood doing this for more than a temporary fix, if someone could explain why this would be done as a permanent change i would be grateful, I always put them back with a correct switch when one come into my shop, mainly because some one has rewired it wrong in addition to changing the switch to a run only configuration, just wondering.

Edited by OkieGt, August 24, 2013 - 10:14 PM.

#10 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,292 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 12:03 AM

Some times when a switch fails it will send a charge through to the SSI.It only takes a couple milliamps to cook a SSI module.

The SSI Ground out prong in one of the 5 prong switches is rite next to the power inlet prong.If one of the springs would happen to rust off and jump across or one of the little copper skids happens to pop out of the plastic holder inside the switch or even water in the switch could cause it to send voltage up the kill wire and into the SSI.

I'll hook everything else up the way it's supposed to go but I will keep the SSi on it's own switch.  

I just don't trust the new switches.The old 3 prong switches don't fail the way the newer ones do.Usually the points inside of those get corroded.Most of the time on the old switches you could just pop them apart and clean the points and be good to go for a few years.

Edited by EricFromPa, August 25, 2013 - 12:08 AM.

#11 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 12:14 AM

That's a nice solid tractor you got there. Your Sears was nice but I think you will like the Bolens better. Those tires look great on there too. I think a carb from a OH120 will work. I believe that a HH120 and an OH120 are basically the same engine other than on is a flathead and the other has overhead valves. Also it seems like Tecumseh made most of there carbs so that they have the same outer dimensions and most of the linkages the same. I took a carb off a 10hp tec and put it on a 3.5hp Tec and it was a direct bolt on and hook up.

Also I will have the spring for the 800 in the mail for you on Monday.

apparently the piston and other internal parts are different, though

#12 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 854 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 10:42 PM

Cool machine! Looking forward to following the progress.