• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bradshaw106 OFFLINE  

Bradshaw106
  • Member No: 45519
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 05:26 PM

I'm considering a 1969 444. From the research I have done it seems this is the first production year. Should I stay away from this year? What are the differences between this and later models? Also the owner says he doesn't like it because it just free wheels down hills and all it has for brakes is a band brake he does not trust. I know the later models had some sort of flow control.. Does this early model have it?
Thanks for the help look forward to joining the family!

#2 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 05:38 PM

The early models don't have it, but I believe you can buy an aftermarket one. You can pull back on the control lever and slow it down.

#3 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,637 Thanks
  • 7,672 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 05:42 PM

The first year('69) was a little unique. It doesn't have the same implement snap mounts as the newer ones, therefore it must use it's own accessories. Unless you want to cut and weld the newer ones on.

#4 Bradshaw106 OFFLINE  

Bradshaw106
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 06:40 PM

Maybe I should wait for a newer model to come along? This one does have a snowblower, plow and mower.

#5 Bradshaw106 OFFLINE  

Bradshaw106
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 06:41 PM

The early models don't have it, but I believe you can buy an aftermarket one. You can pull back on the control lever and slow it down.

What exactly does it do?

Edited by Bradshaw106, August 24, 2013 - 07:01 PM.

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,637 Thanks
  • 7,672 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 07:04 PM

Maybe I should wait for a newer model to come along? This one does have a snowblower, plow and mower.

If those are the only attachments you need, then your all set!

#7 Bradshaw106 OFFLINE  

Bradshaw106
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 07:30 PM

I have a couple acres behind my house, want to use it to help me clear it. Drag a trailer some logs ect. Maybe build a bucket for it?

#8 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 08:26 PM

What exactly does it do?

There is a spot just above  neutral that you put the speed selector lever in when approaching a steep hill.

I allows you to go down a slope safely although somewhat slowly. It uses the hydraulics to control speed of the tractor.

#9 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • Member No: 39058
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 07:19 PM

The 1969 is a good collector because thats the first year production. Its the only year with that "elephant ear type fenders and also the only year with the "PK" decal on the back of the seat. ( stands for performance king or something like that.)  Yeah attachments would be harder to find. I wouldnt nessesarily avoid it if its in good shape. I have a 442 like that which I am hoping to restore. The coasting down hill might be an issue for you if you have hilly terrain. My land is pretty flat so I havent found it to be a problem. Iveheard of guys really hating it tho how it coasts freely down hills. I have no experience with the valve that can apparently be installed to fix that so I cant really comment on it. Good luck whatever you decide.

#10 Mjoe7 OFFLINE  

Mjoe7
  • Member No: 9312
  • 172 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 01:34 AM

For a worker I'd wait and buy a newer model. Say a 444 1977 or newer with all Power Red paint. A 1980 or newer would give you a longer frame if your taller like me it's nice.

There are plenty that come up for sale. The Onan powered 446 and 448's are much smoother and more powerful. Having the snapfast attachments would be much better and more convenient should you need a new attachment.

If you were to buy a 1987 and newer Ingersoll chances are it would have an integrated holding valve built into the tcv.  The others would require a separate holding valve kit. See attached pic. of a new one I have.

It mounts between the tcv and hydraulic motor.

If you don't have one on your tractor there is a "Retard" position on the control lever. The operators manual says to keep the engine at full throttle and set lever in that retard position to hold steady speed going down hills. That position may not work if you have worn bushings, ball joints and the like so it will take some practice to find the "spot" that works.

When it free wheels it makes lots of noise but don't worry its just oil cavitation.  

My thoughts. Good luck!

Attached Thumbnails

• nosHoldingvalve.jpg