• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Smith OFFLINE  

Josh Smith

• Member No: 769
  • 7 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted November 27, 2010 - 01:28 AM

I wanted to start a thread for those of us who are in the process of a build for the next season, the winter, Your first build or just whatever or when ever it might be. I will start by talking about the puller Ive been building and Ill attempt to post some pics. My tractor started as a 1974 Massey Ferguson MF8 that was really almost beyond saving it was rustier than a grubbing hoe to say the least. I first tore it all apart and that ment cutting a few things that wouldnt come loose with penetrating oil, Heat, Or an impact (theres a hint of how ruff it was). Now once I had it stripped I went ahead although I knew Id have to do it again and laidd some primer and stuff on it I also threw some color on to make the pics pretty. Lol. Then I pulled the stock 3sp out and swapped it with a much larger trans. The trans I chose was an AYP 6sp (3sp with High and Low) out of a 1970s Sears GT19.9. I had to move it back nearly 4in not only to make it fit but also for more length in my wheel base aswell. Now doing this ment cutting up a large part of the rear of the frame mainly the part where the factory hitch point was. After cutting and getting the trans where I wanted it I had to make me some brackets to mount the trans and also some brackets for the high and low lever to function properly. Once that was completed I rebuilt the back of the frame to look similar to the old sears in which the trans came out of. Once that was completed I built a front axle out of square tubing racing kart spindles and mounts a kart set of hubs gave me something to mount wheels to. I built a rear fender out of 1/8in thick steel and a set of fenders off of a 70s Sears SS10. I also fabbed up a set of wheelie bars that are welded to the frame an adjustiible hitch with a 3/4in thick 2in open hitch point and 7/8in all thread. I fabbed an aluminum fuel tank thall hold about a 1/2 gallon of alcohol a mount made to look similar to and flow well with the bumper. I built a front wieght bar extension and the bar on it (its coming off in favor of an aluminum weight box) is for standard barbell weights. I have a Grant 13in steering wheel mounted to an adapter I made. The billet trim ring and black horn button are on there aswell for looks. I also added a new ammeter for looks as I am keeping the stock apperance for the most part. I fabbed up a throttle pedal to match the mf8s factory clutch pedal ( like them better than aftermarket) I have a 5in autometer tack with a shift light mounted up on the dash Iva also got a toggle kill switch and push button ignition. Now the rear wheels and tires came from Vogel Manufacturing the wheels are VM Polished 12x12 4x8 Offset wrapped in VMTT26 26x12x12 tires. The front wheels are Douglas 5x5.25 Polished racing kart wheels wrapped in Bridgestone YFJ Kart tires. Ive got a reproduction Padded style pan seat and my wheelie wheels are rebuildable dumpster styla caster wheels. I am nearing being finished I have plenty left to do though. First I need to build my motor my tractor will be running a S/A class so thats what the engine will be built for. Like the tires I will be running this tractor in a couple different clubs so Ill have to build the motor for common ground IE the tires I am allowed to run cepeks and stuff in one club but in another I am not. After the engine I need to build my aluminum weight boxes then the body work and paint then run all my plumbing do the electrical stuff like the break away kill switch ect. Bolt up the fire extinguisher and tie up all the loose ends. Ive got some pics of what she looks like right now. I have had to post pone my build for a little bit because of the remodle my grage is under going but Im about done with the garage so the tractor will be seeing some more hours put in on it very soon. Well it wont allow me to attaach pics for some odd reason Ive been fooling with it for over an Hour now so thats out the window. You can veiw some pics of it that I have uploaded on my profile in the gallery section of it there are 4 or 5 of them. Thanks Josh

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 27, 2010 - 08:45 AM

That sounds like a lot of fun Smitty! George will be by soon enough and I'm sure He'll know what's up with the pic posting problem. Thanks for the details!

#3 Josh Smith OFFLINE  

Josh Smith

• 7 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted November 27, 2010 - 09:40 PM

Thanks Bud I really would like to get some pictures up I know its a pain to have to go to my profile to view the pictures of the tractor but for now thats all I can do I guess. Hopefully soon I can get some up. Thanks

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 27, 2010 - 10:09 PM

If you wanna post a thread in the member test forum Josh I can help you over there rather then take your thread off topic.

#5 Josh Smith OFFLINE  

Josh Smith

• 7 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted November 29, 2010 - 03:36 PM

Here are those pictures I finally got it figured out Thanks for the help. As soon as I get soome more done Ill update whats been done along with pics. I know there are plenty of us out there building a puller so now its time for the rest of you to show us what your building. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0113.jpg
  • IMAG0108.jpg
  • IMAG0112.jpg
  • IMAG0111.jpg
  • IMAG0110.jpg
  • IMAG0109.jpg

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 29, 2010 - 05:42 PM

I like where you are going with it so far. I like the little rear rounded fenders. The only thing I would think might be better is small skinny tri-ribs on the front. I know when pulling the front wheels don't really provide anything but for the couple of seconds they might I would think something other then slicks would be better for some grabbing?

#7 Josh Smith OFFLINE  

Josh Smith

• 7 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted November 29, 2010 - 06:50 PM

I like where you are going with it so far. I like the little rear rounded fenders. The only thing I would think might be better is small skinny tri-ribs on the front. I know when pulling the front wheels don't really provide anything but for the couple of seconds they might I would think something other then slicks would be better for some grabbing?

Yeah those fenders I think suit it pretty good I set them very very close to the tires so close that with the tits on the tires you can hear them rubbing the fender when it rotates I cut the tits off and have around a 1/2in of clearance all the way around. I got those front tires with the intentions of cutting me somme chevron cuts in them but have been thinking about cutting me some ribs in them. I like the look of the wide tires on the front aswell as once you get your tractor well balanced and weighted right your front tires should barely be touching the ground as you go down the track so I figure that because theyll barely be touching the larger contact patch will hep with steering if you end up needing to do so. I actually wanted a set of goodyear terra turf tires to go on it like the originals but couldnt find any new so I went with these because its hard to find a tirf tire or ribbed tire to fit a 5in x 5.25in wheel. Its still a work in progress but thats the same as any project I guess thanks

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 29, 2010 - 07:22 PM

That is going to be one cool/neat looking tractor.

#9 hotya100 OFFLINE  

hotya100

• Member No: 1906
  • 8 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted February 26, 2011 - 03:31 AM

This is our puller, named Renegade. We've been pulling since 2005. My daughter and I built this tractor from a Cub Cadet 1000 first as a stock, then the next year we built a Stock altered twin which we ran for a three years, then finally installed the current engine in early 2009. The engine is a 18 hp Kohler Command, bored and stroked to 44 cubic inches. It is built to the NQS Pro Twin rules. My daughter was the driver until I decided to remove the stock rear fender and seat assembly and install the current one. She then retired and I had to step up. My driving abilities are improving and one day I hope to be as good as she was. I do pull at some NQS events as well as our local club, but am no where as serious as those NQS regulars. We are planning some annual upgrades before the Summer season starts. If I can help in any way, please ask. I don't know a lot, but I do know some.

Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4317a.jpg

#10 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted February 26, 2011 - 07:51 AM

Welcome to GT talk! Sounds like you are bringing a wealth of knowledge with you.
  • hotya100 said thank you

#11 hotya100 OFFLINE  

hotya100

• 8 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted February 26, 2011 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for the welcome, middleadgeddeere. Upon seeing your joining date, I welcome you as well.

#12 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted February 26, 2011 - 02:04 PM

Hahaha..That's is funny cause I only looked are your post number. Didn't look at join date, you joined a month before me!

#13 hotya100 OFFLINE  

hotya100

• 8 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted February 26, 2011 - 09:03 PM

Yeah, I don't get out much.

#14 Rick Brumback OFFLINE  

Rick Brumback

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4355
  • 19 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted September 04, 2011 - 09:18 AM

Nice looking project you got going.The front really dont make that much differance since you steer with body weight usually,but the slicks will slide when you turn if you welded the spider gears,they really wanna slide