Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Hours On A Diesel Engine

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 09:40 AM

OK, I know I'm a pain these days but I got questions and you all got answers.  I have a general question about diesel engines.  As an example. lets take a three cylinder diesel engine, be it Kubota, Mitsubishi, whatever.  How many hours can you expect to get out of that engine before you are looking at some major work (if properly cared for)?  I'm looking at a Kubota 18hp with over 1300 hours on it.  Now my little Satoh has to have more than that on it (no hour meter) and it still runs great.

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 09:53 AM

I would say at least twice that many hours.

• Alc and David Brown have said thanks

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 10:08 AM

You should be able to get 4000 hours without much problem. If maintained that should be a young engine. My Kubota Z430 has over 2000 hours and uses no oil at all.  :D

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 10:24 AM

I know the big engines can get into 5 figures with good maintenance. You don't see many small tractors with a lot of hours on them. I'd expect to get at least 5k out of a kubota, yanmar or other high quality engine if it's properly maintained. I've also seen Kubotas with 1000 hrs on the clock that were pretty much beat because no maintenance was done.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and David Brown have said thanks

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 10:27 AM

I'm with Chris, you should expect 4 to 5,000 hours with no issues if maintained properly.

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 12:34 PM

Well I guess the only thing that concerns me is how the tractor was maintained.  He says that a bulk of the hours on the tractor were mowing hours.  I don't know that that necessarily means anything one way or the other.  It looks good in the picture.  Has a FEL and wheel weights plus a 54" mower.  The FEL doesn't look to have a lot of hours on it.  My head has been spinning since I started seriously looking.  I'm not one of these guys who will buy and turn around and trade it in a few years.  I got one shot, hence my pesky questions.

Edited by David Brown, August 23, 2013 - 08:48 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 01:31 PM

The best way to really know is to go see it and use it. If he has a loader on it, he should have something around there to stick the bucket in. Check to see how easy it starts, does it sound like it should? Do you see anything but black smoke when you go to full throttle? How doe the engine and Hydro (if it has one) oil look? Is the tractor and mower deck in nice shape or beat all to pieces? If it doesn't feel right, don't buy it or make a better deal. That's the best I can tell you and I hope it helps. Good Luck..

• David Brown said thank you

#8 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 06:34 PM

One thing to check on these engines is for signs of blow-by. This is a good indication of the internal condition of the engine. If the engine has an external crankcase vent then just put your finger over it for a few seconds with the engine running and at normal temperature. If it pushes your finger off in that time walk away. You will also see a steady stream of vapor coming out of it. If it develops a little pressure things are pretty good. If it develops no pressure you've probably have found an excellent engine barring no unusual sounds. If it is not externally vented then you will have to carefully remove the oil filler cap and check for crankcase pressure there. You need to be careful when removing this cap as you can get sprayed with oil. 

I have one engine that has some blow-by but uses no oil and runs fine. It will probably out last me as it is in my loader tractor and never gets used hard. 

If the air cleaner is dirty the odds are pretty good that the maintenance has been neglected.  :(

• MH81, Alc and David Brown have said thanks

#9 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 08:30 PM

I have a 20hp Kubota L2000 with over 1600 hours, runs great, I have owned it for just about a year and I have never added oil.

• David Brown said thank you

#10 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 06:04 AM

The Toro Groundsmaster I just got has over 5400 hours on the meter and is still running strong, Have no idea if it has ever been rebuilt.

#11 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 07:11 AM

I really appreciate all of the input on this.  This is a big step for me and I want to make sure I do it right.  Lots of good info here and a good blow by test to take with me.  I hope its not a wasted trip.  I need to go help a friend this morning so I'll find out later if I'm going to make the trip or not.  6 hours out of my day but it will be worth it if the thing is good.  I REALLY need to get working on my new wood shed though.  I guess we'll see what happens.

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 08:13 AM

Shed can wait! LOL  You need to put this out of your mind one way or the other before it drives you nuts....as things like this do to me.  The boards & nails will still be there to build, but the tractor may not be there later!

• KennyP said thank you

#13 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 12:56 PM

:iagree: