caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 26, 2010 - 02:00 PM

Does anyone have a preference for a brand or type of wireless router?

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted November 26, 2010 - 02:22 PM

Does anyone have a preference for a brand or type of wireless router?

She bought that laptop didn't she?

As far as I'm concerned, you can't go wrong with Linksys stuff.
  • caseguy said thank you

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 26, 2010 - 02:43 PM

Newegg.com - Linksys WRT54GL 802.11b/g Wireless Broadband Router up to 54Mbps/ Open Source DD-WRT

This one is on sale today only at newegg. Is it difficult to flash the new firmware that everyone is suggesting?

http://www.newegg.co...4-277-_-Product

They say that this one requires the same upgraded firmware and it's $10 cheaper. Suggestions?

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 26, 2010 - 05:42 PM

The first one you linked to the WRT54GL is the one I have, I also have an older WRT54G that I have routed wireless to the main router the GL. The reason I suggest the WRT54GL is out of the two I have I have never had a problem and you can also upgrade the firmware using DD-WRT firmware which will change it in to a whole other router with all kinds of features if you ever wanted to tweak things. Newegg might event still have the WRT54G for sale really cheap as the GL is what replaced it.

The L in the GL stands for linux based :D

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 26, 2010 - 05:56 PM

The first one you linked to the WRT54GL is the one I have, I also have an older WRT54G that I have routed wireless to the main router the GL. The reason I suggest the WRT54GL is out of the two I have I have never had a problem and you can also upgrade the firmware using DD-WRT firmware which will change it in to a whole other router with all kinds of features if you ever wanted to tweak things. Newegg might event still have the WRT54G for sale really cheap as the GL is what replaced it. The L in the GL stands for linux based :D

That figures. I ordered the other one about an hour ago. However, the other one listed above (the one I ordered) says that you are able to upgrade the firmware to DD-WRT as well. In fact most of the reviews said that it's worthless without the upgrade, but awesome with it. So I figured that if I had to upgrade either way, I might as well save the $10. I may need some help when it comes time for upgrading and tweaking though.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 26, 2010 - 06:25 PM

Technically you shouldn't have to update the firmware but if you do decide you need a feature that isn't supported by the stock firmware then new firmware is only a click away. Linksys is now owned by Cisco. I guess they have owned them for a while now. I think you made a good buy :D
  • caseguy said thank you

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 26, 2010 - 06:32 PM

Technically you shouldn't have to update the firmware but if you do decide you need a feature that isn't supported by the stock firmware then new firmware is only a click away. Linksys is now owned by Cisco. I guess they have owned them for a while now. I think you made a good buy :D

Thanks for your input George! I appreciate it!

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 26, 2010 - 07:10 PM

I forgot to mention, I love Newegg. It is my favorite place to buy gadgets :D

#9 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted November 27, 2010 - 09:49 AM

Linksys is still a solid name even after being absorbed by cisco. I've had the wrt160n for several months now and have been happy.
I have not flashed the firmware yet either. I have considered it so that I could boost the power to get a better link in the barn, but figured the netbook wouldn't have the power to talk back so I probably won't. I may get a repeater one day but that's another topic.
The V.3 stock firmware is stable, you will be happy.
  • caseguy said thank you

#10 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted November 28, 2010 - 12:03 PM

Linksys has always been reliable for me.
ENJOY

#11 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted November 28, 2010 - 12:14 PM

Linksys is still a solid name even after being absorbed by cisco. I've had the wrt160n for several months now and have been happy.
I have not flashed the firmware yet either. I have considered it so that I could boost the power to get a better link in the barn, but figured the netbook wouldn't have the power to talk back so I probably won't. I may get a repeater one day but that's another topic.
The V.3 stock firmware is stable, you will be happy.

I have setup3 for these for friend. Only 2 service calls in 3 years. Push button to reset a all is well.
  • caseguy said thank you

#12 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 30, 2010 - 10:07 PM

Just an update. The router arrived today, it is installed an functioning within established parameters...I think LOL! So far so good! Thanks to all for your input and suggestions!

#13 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted December 01, 2010 - 01:26 AM

Now that you've got your hands on it, and getting a feel for it. I strongly recomend a few settings.
First, on the basic setup tab next to network setup/dhcp server setup. change the max # of users to however many devices you have that's going to be using it. I also like changing the last 3 digits of the starting ip address to some higher random number. These two things will make it just a little harder for someone to "borrow" your connection, or snoop around on your systems.
Next, under the wireless/wireless security tab. pick one of the security modes and use it!!! It won't make you completely safe, but it will send all but the most determined to get on your network looking elsewhere.
Lastly, you'd be surprized how many wireless networks may be near. I put a free pgm. called inSSIDer on the netbook, and I can often sit on the back porch and see 3-4 others in range, not strong enugh to get a good link on, but enugh to cause interfearance, if they are on the same channel. If they are then I'll go under the basic wireless settings tab and just change my channel to get clear air...
I hope this hasn't overwhelmed ya', but I figured it was stuff you should know.
  • MH81 and caseguy have said thanks