Now that will make a cool souvenir. :D

• hatedge said thank you

#17 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 09:46 AM

I'll keep that in mind. I have a kohler in need of rebuilding. Southwick is just about an hour from me.does he do customer work?

He has a complete machine shop at his house. Let me know and I can put him in touch with you. He's actually in Somers CT.
  • hatedge and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#18 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 09:48 AM

He told me either detonation or a broken ring especially the oil ring where the casting is thin would cause that. Or both.
  • hatedge said thank you

#19 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 10:23 AM

I'm very interested if they are original or aftermarket pistons. good Luck, Rick

This is what I am thinking now.

Based on what we know.

Seen happen on other Kohlers.  Must be a defect in the pistons, or a weak point.  If we could line up which size piston this occurs on.  And probably have it nailed down to bad rings, down stroke, weak casting. 

Boom, muffin top piston.

Maybe a stress failure at the ring groove? Is that an original piston or a replacement?

It seems to be the original piston as there is no oversize marks on it. I cannot garantee if its stock or jobber though but would think it to be stock. I called the local Kohler place and those thiefs are asking for 250$ for a replacement with rings and bearings but no connectiing ro!

E bay has the entire rebuild kit with piston, rings, connecting rod, valves and all the gaskets for around 100$

• boyscout862 said thank you

#20 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 10:33 AM

Thanks for the pic! Very interesting. I have a K341 that quit on me this summer. Just a small screech and clunk. The the crank slowly wound to a stop. Spins over very easy with no knock or compression, like I took the rod & piston out of it! Hope to tear it down soon!

This is exactly what I get. The engine turns over easily and 0 compression. I took the head off and saw the piston stayed up in the cyl when I turned the flywheel. I figured it was a broken piston rod but didnt hear any knocking in the crankcase so I naturally tought the lower rod bearing had just fallen off but whe I opened the engine base I could see the piston was all the way down but the head was all the way up! got a 12'' ratchet extention and gently hammered it from un der till it popped out then reapeated this with the lower part of the piston.

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#21 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 10:35 AM

He told me either detonation or a broken ring especially the oil ring where the casting is thin would cause that. Or both.

Well detonation was my guess but it did break off at the thinnest part of the casting so must be a combination of both like you say

#22 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 10:37 AM

Unfortunately I've seen that very thing!!   :wallbanging:   :wallbanging:

A new piston and rings later the thing rocked on! :rocker2:

I have no doubt that this is exactly what I can expect. The Kohler K series is a tough and durable engine.

• JDBrian said thank you

#23 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 10:46 AM

Tough is right. I have a K321 with a cracked block that still starts and runs decent. It leaks oil out through the crack and eventually it will soak the engine but until I find a replacement it'll have to do.

• hatedge and twostep have said thanks

#24 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 10:50 AM

Tough is right. I have a K321 with a cracked block that still starts and runs decent. It leaks oil out through the crack and eventually it will soak the engine but until I find a replacement it'll have to do.

I mow with one every week... just top off the oil (usually about 8oz.) and get to work.

• hatedge said thank you

#25 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 11:25 AM

Why dont you have it welded? might extend the life of this engine. :)

• JDBrian said thank you

#26 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 11:27 AM

Hey I have seen this before,, least you didnt have as many pieces as my K341.  As I said in my thread the only things I know or observed were,,, the machine sat for a time (I dont know how long), they changed the oil (smelled like hyd oil), they changed the points, many of the air fins were atleast partially blocked, It came apart while not under load.  I had heard the engine running earlier in the day and it sounded like a good running Kohler should.  There was nothing wrong with the block after it came apart, I put a new piston, rings, and rod back in, honed it a bit and its back running again.  Mine had the balance gears in it so I removed them.

• hatedge said thank you

#27 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 12:11 PM

How about JBWeld?  I always hear that JB stood for Junk Block. :D

• hatedge said thank you

#28 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 09:09 PM

It is in the narrow area between the cylinder and valve housing as near as I can tell. It's hard to even see in there to figure out exactly where it's coming from let alone to weld in there. JB weld wouldn't hold in that application IMO. The cylinder wall is scored a bit in the area opposite the exhaust valve and one of the score marks is probably a fine crack. 

I cleaned the engine up last year and ran it to find out where the oil was coming from. This picture was after running for about 5 hours.  I cleaned it up again and ran it for about 1/2 hour and you could see it was coming from that narrow passage between the valve and cylinder sections of the block. Pretty much impossible to get at. 

DSCF7683.jpg

• hatedge said thank you

#29 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 09:24 PM

It is in the narrow area between the cylinder and valve housing as near as I can tell. It's hard to even see in there to figure out exactly where it's coming from let alone to weld in there. JB weld wouldn't hold in that application IMO. The cylinder wall is scored a bit in the area opposite the exhaust valve and one of the score marks is probably a fine crack. 

I cleaned the engine up last year and ran it to find out where the oil was coming from. This picture was after running for about 5 hours.  I cleaned it up again and ran it for about 1/2 hour and you could see it was coming from that narrow passage between the valve and cylinder sections of the block. Pretty much impossible to get at. 

attachicon.gifDSCF7683.jpg

Yeah I see what youre talking about. Its the one place you couldnt get at and its where it happens to break. What a pain. Sorry to hear that.

#30 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 09:25 PM

Hey I have seen this before,, least you didnt have as many pieces as my K341.  As I said in my thread the only things I know or observed were,,, the machine sat for a time (I dont know how long), they changed the oil (smelled like hyd oil), they changed the points, many of the air fins were atleast partially blocked, It came apart while not under load.  I had heard the engine running earlier in the day and it sounded like a good running Kohler should.  There was nothing wrong with the block after it came apart, I put a new piston, rings, and rod back in, honed it a bit and its back running again.  Mine had the balance gears in it so I removed them.

I still dont know what the balance gears are do you see them in my pics? I would scrap em if possible. I hear the are a cause of troubble