• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • Member No: 45301
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 05:19 PM

Hey, I have been reading the message board for about a week now and just bought what I think is a 1991 or 1992 GT6000. I haven't checked the numbers yet. The Kohler M18 runs good, the only real issue is a bown out rear tire. So I am tire shopping, it has the original Sears turf tires on it now. I think I have narrowed down what I want to about 3 different 25x10-12 atv tires. I really like the look of this Tusk TriloBite HD, it is my favorite right now. My concern is that the tread may not be open enough for self cleaning for the low wheel speeds of a gt. http://www.rockymoun...V-Tire-25x10-12

This Goldspeed is also in the running. http://www.rockymoun...tility-ATV-Tire

The other atv tire I am considering is the Kenda Bearclaw, I think it may be better for self cleaning. http://www.motosport...AT;454-2X4;1998

Then ag tires are always an option as well.

Does anyone have any opinions on what works best. The tractor will be used for light chores around the farm. I have a Husqvarna YTH2348 for cutting the grass, I got the gt to keep me from abusing the mower.

Edited by AVB, August 22, 2013 - 07:18 PM.

• GT5k6spd said thank you

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 06:40 PM

I have a 1988 craftsman gt18 with 26x10.5-12 atv tires on it and it does quite well. I just got the tires loaded with Rimguard today. You may want to search my posts for the Caterpillar to see what all i have done to it.
  • AVB said thank you

#3 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 11:02 PM

Do you feel like the tallers tires improved the gearing? I haven't had a chance to really test mine because of the tire, but I know a lot of times the lowest gears are so low that you never use them.

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 11:25 PM

I actually use the lower gears quite a bit, as low range, second gear is the right speed for plowing at a medium rpm. I will warn you this, there is slight modification required to run the 26 inch tall tires, but very easy, 10 minute fix. Unbolt the gas tank strap/ fenderpan support/ seat spring bracket (all the same bracket) and sandwhich a piece of steel between it and the top of the frame to raise the back edge of the fenders for tire clearance. The tires should barely clear in stock form. I also urge you this, If you plan to put a sleeve hitch or 3 point hitch on it, you will want to mount those tires on 12x8.5 rims from a Cub Cadet as did I. If you search the forum for the Caterpillar Gt18 of mine you will find many different posts about the different upgrades I have mad to it over the years.

#5 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 11:41 PM

Here is a picture from the cl add.

00D0D_iCtPjiPgSk3_600x450_zpsdf592846.jp

00s0s_6rydO23Ym1z_600x450_zps00ed539d.jp

Those are some good looking tires you put on the Caterpillar.

Edited by AVB, August 22, 2013 - 11:42 PM.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 07:10 AM

Here are the ATV tires I put on my SS12
http://gardentractor.../?hl=+mud +lite

My son Ryan's tires on his Massey
http://gardentractor...bos/#entry51589

I have driven both and feel that the Ags have a little better grip for in the field applications. The ATV may have the edge in the grass, but the atv tires allow me to use chains also for winter grip (if they were ANY bigger, I wouldn't be able to get the chains under the fenders)

Whatever you put on her, she will need more weight (filled tires) and may need some add-ons also to plow with.

If you want to save up and get something extra special, you could put an ad on CL for one tire and another for a set of tire chains. They could get you by for a while. They have more traction that way than you would think.

Anyways, nice looking GT, (:thumbs: that you don't have the hydro with the weird pulley) and nice implements. When you get a chance, the adapted Sears plow; is there a twist to the adapter? There needs to be a 10 degree tip to it and you may need some suggestions with the setup on it when you get there as there is no adjustment.
  • AVB said thank you

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 06:26 PM

To plow with that tractor you are going to need at least 200 pounds on the back tires, if not more. If filling the tires you will want tubes. I am going to get the tires remounted to the Caterpillar this weekend and try out the extra weight. I spent about a year to find a good deal on my tires, then another year looking for the Cub Cadet rims, and another year to actually mount them up, and 2 years to decide to actually proceed with filling them. And I figure I will spend this winter fixing whatever I break at plow day next month lol.

#8 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 08:51 PM

I hear ya, I have more projects here than I have time for. I will definately be filling the tires.

MH81, I will check the plow tomorrow, but I think it is just the way it was sitting in the picture.

#9 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 12:21 PM

You were right MH81, the adapter does have a bend in it. I will probably straighten it and reinforce it with a piece of tubing between the bolt holes.

I can't wait for my new tires to get here, they should be here Tuesday. I decided to try out the Tusk Trilobites in 25x10-12 and have read that they tend to run a little small. We will see.

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 01:16 PM

Don't straighten that plow hitch!! It needs that 10 degree twist to be level when the right tire is in the furrow.
  • MH81 said thank you

#11 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 01:17 PM

By the way, great deal on getting tires. Hope they work out for you.

#12 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 01:36 PM

Don't straighten that plow hitch!! It needs that 10 degree twist to be level when the right tire is in the furrow.

I was going to check that first, I was thinking that it was bent the wrong direction. I was looking at it wrong though, Thanks for the warning.

#13 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 02:05 PM

I was going to check that first, I was thinking that it was bent the wrong direction. I was looking at it wrong though, Thanks for the warning.

No problem, was just trying to prevent you from trying to fix something that isn't broken yet lol.

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 07:41 AM

You were right MH81, the adapter does have a bend in it. I will probably straighten it and reinforce it with a piece of tubing between the bolt holes.

I can't wait for my new tires to get here, they should be here Tuesday. I decided to try out the Tusk Trilobites in 25x10-12 and have read that they tend to run a little small. We will see.

Don't straighten it, it needs that to work right.

I couldn't tell if it had it or not from the pic.

As for the tires, are these the ones you went with?image.jpg
Nice looking pattern. Shouldn't spin as much with those.

#15 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 08:27 AM

Yes, that is the tire I went with. I decided I wanted something non directional incase I need to back up. They may pack up in clay, but they should bite good in loamy dirt. I also figured they would have more side ways grip to keep it from sliding if I have to work on an embankment. It looked like a pattern that would work well on my r/c car too.

Edited by AVB, August 25, 2013 - 08:34 AM.