LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,619 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 08:15 AM

I keep reading about the demise of the landline phone. Both my modem and my Tivo are connected to the phone line. How does that work?

• tinbender7 and JRJ have said thanks

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 09:24 AM

I still have a landline. I have VOIP for the internet which also includes my landline. I would of switched to cell phone alone a long time ago but coverage is spotty. I believe the infrastructure for landline will be there for a very longtime. I see a lot of people are dropping some cell phone contracts for the Tracfone style. That is what I use for cell. I can't afford to have the other coverage and a phone that costs alot. Roger.

• LilysDad said thank you

#3 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 09:27 AM

never heard such in europe. here we have the extension of the glass fibre net and not only for the internet. a radio circuit is fragil and the next sun eruptions will show it again.

edit: most of the german landline is under the earth

Edited by jd.rasentrac, August 22, 2013 - 09:29 AM.

• hamman, LilysDad and OkieGt have said thanks

#4 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 10:12 AM

Our land line phone was 86d years ago, we cant get any high speed connection this far out in the country, no cable, no T2, no anything, we're on satellite for TV and internet. Korea for example is 98 percent fiber optic line, the USA is barely 20 percent if that

• hamman and LilysDad have said thanks

#5 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 10:16 AM

The way I see it, 'land lines' won't ever disappear.  However, the traditional copper ones will eventually all be replaced with fiber optic line.

What may disappear will be cable, as fiber optic can do everything that cable can, and at much higher speeds.

I just don't see wireless replacing land lines either.  Wireless just can't compete with fiber optic when it comes to bandwidth for transmitting data.

Plus, there is a limit to how many frequencys are available for wireless.

Personally, I'd love to see fiber optic available at my house.

• Alc, hamman, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 10:41 AM

I don't see land lines going away anytime soon.  We 86d our land line phone about a year ago and have the Verizon home phone which has worked well for us.  But as OB stated wireless can not compete with a land line in bandwidth and fiber optic is the way to go currently.  I do wish there were more choices for Internet out there.  We're out in the country as well so it is either DSL or satellite and we have had satellite and it was very expensive for the little you got for your money.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 10:47 AM

We have fiber at our house and it works well but the provider keeps offering upgrade packages that offer "higher speed." They downgrade your speed and then offer the upgrade to get it back. So far it's been OK but it's a constant game of marketing and bait and switch etc. It's like how the paper companies kept decreasing the size of a roll of toilet paper until they could offer the new Larger Rolls for an increased price. Now those are getting smaller too.

#8 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 11:09 AM

The way I see it, 'land lines' won't ever disappear.  However, the traditional copper ones will eventually all be replaced with fiber optic line.

Personally, I'd love to see fiber optic available at my house.

We have waited here for 7 years as there is no cable and no high speed options.  I have some wireless thing but that is pretty slow and doesn't work half the time in the summer.  (Leaves on the trees)  Other than that, it is dial-up.

The last time we had phone problems after a storm, I asked the guy from the phone company if they would ever upgrade the phone lines on my road and he replied, "not in our lifetime."

#9 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 11:14 AM

I don't see land lines going away anytime soon.  We 86d our land line phone about a year ago and have the Verizon home phone which has worked well for us.  But as OB stated wireless can not compete with a land line in bandwidth and fiber optic is the way to go currently.  I do wish there were more choices for Internet out there.  We're out in the country as well so it is either DSL or satellite and we have had satellite and it was very expensive for the little you got for your money.

your lucky, we dont even have DSL, and our satellite internet is actually radio signal transmitted from a tower, from a tower, from a tower.....

• hamman, HDWildBill and LilysDad have said thanks

#10 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 11:16 AM

We have waited here for 7 years as there is no cable and no high speed options.  I have some wireless thing but that is pretty slow and doesn't work half the time in the summer.  (Leaves on the trees)  Other than that, it is dial-up.

The last time we had phone problems after a storm, I asked the guy from the phone company if they would ever upgrade the phone lines on my road and he replied, "not in our lifetime."

For those that live in the country or old established neighborhoods think they will ever get fiber optics, I think they are lets say "optimistic" in the same way one might believe Santa Claus will bring you a new car, but it could happen, maybe not in our lifetime

• LilysDad said thank you

#11 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 12:25 PM

The only reason that I have a landline is that the local internet is tied to it. Not a lot of choices however I've been thinking about a hotspot from one of my local carriers. I think 4 G might be available in my area.

Internet on my 3G phone is a lot faster than the DSL setup at my place. They tell me that I can upgrade the speed however that requires a 2 year commitment.  I'm using a Straight tlk phone, It seems to work very well in this area. Same service as the tracfone it seems.

If it wasn't for the internet the landline would have been gone long ago.

• hamman and LilysDad have said thanks

#12 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,619 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 01:16 PM

I just read today that Verizon is going to quit maintaining their infrastructure. The Sandy Hook area got most of their LL wiped out and Verizon isn't going to replace it.

• hamman said thank you

#13 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 01:23 PM

The only reason that I have a landline is that the local internet is tied to it. Not a lot of choices however I've been thinking about a hotspot from one of my local carriers. I think 4 G might be available in my area.

Internet on my 3G phone is a lot faster than the DSL setup at my place. They tell me that I can upgrade the speed however that requires a 2 year commitment.  I'm using a Straight tlk phone, It seems to work very well in this area. Same service as the tracfone it seems.

If it wasn't for the internet the landline would have been gone long ago.

You will be limited on amount of data you can  use 5 Gigs usually 

#14 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 22, 2013 - 04:19 PM

I got rid of my land line 3 years ago. A waste of money. A little known fact is that 3rd world countries are already fiber optic and wireless, Thank you uncle Sam. They also do NOT have all these expensive "packages" that we are forced to eat. Their wireless is just every day service. It seems it was/is cheaper than running 50 billion miles of wire. Again, thank you Uncle Sam.

#15 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 06:05 PM

your lucky, we dont even have DSL, and our satellite internet is actually radio signal transmitted from a tower, from a tower, from a tower.....

This reminds me of a guy I used to work with.  He lives in Al and out in the sticks.  One guy got intuitive and lived close enough for cable.  He then erected a tower and sold Internet access to those further out.  My co-worker said once all the bugs got worked out it was pretty good and although not as fast as at work it still was faster then normal Satellite.

Do you have to deal with FAP (Fair access policy)?  When we had Satellite we had a big dish in our front yard.  When I worked on a PC and had to reinstall windows I would literally run us to the FAP limit and it would take 2-3 days to get our speed back.  I could forget about downloading a Linux Distro.