Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 06:30 PM

Heres the thing about compacts from the late 70s and 80s compared to the current stuff, since Ive owned a compact since 1985,,, they are just not as well designed for utility type work they were still geared for farming type work, most front axles arent as robust as current models for loader work, some had aluminum bellhousings which limit loaders and backhoes,most dont have power steering and turn radius dont make em nimble, few have hydro trans, they are more a small farm tractor made to push or pull but not both efficiently at the same time. Both neighbors have near new subcuts one a jd the other a kubota though my machine is bigger they will work rings around mine, they have hydros, power steer, loaders, backhoes and they arent just meant to pull or drag something heck they can have the loader, hoe, and the mid mount deck on at the same time and still use any one at anytime without removing any of em to do it. Yes the new ones cost coin, what doesnt. Ive had mine for 28 years now, if you take care of it, it will likely last a lifetime.

i would agree with that. When american companies began importing the Japanese compacts, as you say they were small farm tractors. I am sure my 9 acres is bigger than many of the farms in Japan? I use my Ford 1500 as a small farm tractor, tilliing plowing, mowing, pulling , moving dirt and gravel with a 3 point scoop and grading my 1/4 mile lane with blade and landscape rake.
While i would love to have a new tractor, this 1980 Shibara Ford has exceeded my expectations.
I have had the Ford since last September and will have put 200 hrs on it by its anniversary date.
I think everyone should have the one of their choosing!

Edited by JD DANNELS, September 01, 2013 - 06:31 PM.

• OkieGt said thank you