#46 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,501 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 10:39 PM

Mahindra Max 25: $13,500 (a few on the lot)

Kubota BX1870:  $13,017 (one in the show room, no FEL)

Massey GC1705: $12,000 (None on the lot today)

John Deere 1023E: 11,099  (None on the lot.  Won't be in till October)

Looks to me like your kind of enjoying yourself. That's good your taking your time and looking with an open mind. 

I kind of envy you as shopping can be the best part and you'll probably meet some really nice people.

Good luck with your search.

#47 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 07:01 AM

I went shopping tonight and was surprised at what I found.  I looked at 4 brands but didn't get to drive anything yet.  Just wasn't enough time tonight, besides, almost everybody was sold out for now!  I looked at the Mahindra Max, The Massey Ferguson GC1705, the Kubota BX1870 and the Deere 1023E.  My budget isn't the biggest so I inquired about tractor and FEL only.  The most expensive and the least expensive really screwed me up for a long time in the future.  These aren't hard numbers because I had enough time to ask about the tractor and get the price with a brochure.

Mahindra Max 25: $13,500 (a few on the lot)

Kubota BX1870:  $13,017 (one in the show room, no FEL)

Massey GC1705: $12,000 (None on the lot today)

John Deere 1023E: 11,099  (None on the lot.  Won't be in till October)

Whaaaaaat?  Yeah, the Deere was the cheapest.  I couldn't believe it.  I really wanted to drive the Massey but he sold most of his inventory in the last two months and the rest are sitting at a Fair until Monday.  I asked about the Mahindra (same guy that handles the Massey) and he said it seems to be a good machine but they are all good when new. He said to talk to him in 5 or 10 years and he would tell me better.  He's been handling Massey for a long time and he said they really go trouble free for years.  I think that's pretty honest of him to give a better report on the less expensive tractor.  I guess most of the Masseys he sold this summer were to local municipalities and school districts.  He had photos of one of his customers running a 5 foot brush hog behind a Massey GC2400 in very tall heavy brush.  He said it cut right though it without hesitation.  I'm liking the Massey here.  I have a friend who bought a new Deere and he said it drinks the fuel like there's no tomorrow.  Not sure how much that actually is.  Anyway, that's today's report.  Going to a fair in Ohio Saturday.  I will look at the Massey there and see what I think.

A completely restored old compact tractor from the 1970's 1980s are being sold for half that and are well built. I didn't even earn NEAR that much money in all of last year, not even close, and I believe I'm prettty well off, 13 garden tractors, a 1968 IH424 diesel, and a good life, but I dont spend money, I dont have any, after utilitities I have my swap/trade/sell fund for repairs and up keep. It's been almost 4 years since I had a job and i can tell you one can get by and live good if you dont spend money. I honestly dont think I could go to work in order to pay for some of these new things such as trucks, tractors, and vacations, it's not my idea of living. Maybe after I get my Masters degree I will be able to analyze myself and find out why I have an aversion to working for someone or spending money on new stuff, oops that would cost waaaaay too much, lol. Just saying realize how much money that is and also look at older small tractors with FELs like older restored Kubotas, IH/Case 284, JD650, Massey 1020, and Allis 5150s, all proven well built machines that will allow you to put 6 grand back in your pocket. The rich are rich because they dont spend money, many dont even carry it.

Edited by OkieGt, August 29, 2013 - 07:12 AM.

• David Brown and boyscout862 have said thanks

#48 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 07:13 AM

A completely restored old compact tractor from the 1970's 1980s are being sold for half that and are well built. I didn't even earn NEAR that much money in all of last year, not even close, and I believe I'm prettty well off, 13 garden tractors, a 1968 IH424 diesel, and a good life, but I dont spend money, I dont have any, after utilitities I have my swap/trade/sell fund for repairs and up keep. It's been almost 4 years since I had a job and i can tell you one can get by and live good if you dont spend money. I honestly dont think I could go to work in order to pay for some of these new things such as trucks, tractors, and vacations, it's not my idea of living. Maybe after I get my Masters degree I will be able to analyze myself and find out why I have an aversion to working for someone or spending money on new stuff, oops that would cost waaaaay too much, lol. Jus saying realize how much money that is and also look at older small tractors with FELs like older restored Kubotas, IH/Case 284, JD650, Massey 1020, and Allis 5150s, all proven well built machines that will allow you to put 6 grand back in your pocket. The rich are rich because they dont spend money, may dont even carry it.

I've looked at many older used machines and they all bring a pretty penny if they are any good.  It's much like the used car market.  We just went through that and decided it made more sense to buy new and have a warranty.  Some of the older tractors out there are actually priced more than what they sold new.  This time, I don't want to buy someone else's problems if I don't have to.  I see where you are coming from and I don't really know where this is going to end up.  I just know one thing for sure, the shopping sure has been fun.

• boyscout862 and OkieGt have said thanks

#49 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 07:34 AM

Heres the thing about compacts from the late 70s and 80s compared to the current stuff, since Ive owned a compact since 1985,,, they are just not as well designed for utility type work they were still geared for farming type work, most front axles arent as robust as current models for loader work, some had aluminum bellhousings which limit loaders and backhoes,most dont have power steering and turn radius dont make em nimble, few have hydro trans, they are more a small farm tractor made to push or pull but not both efficiently at the same time. Both neighbors have near new subcuts one a jd the other a kubota though my machine is bigger they will work rings around mine, they have hydros, power steer, loaders, backhoes and they arent just meant to pull or drag something heck they can have the loader, hoe, and the mid mount deck on at the same time and still use any one at anytime without removing any of em to do it.  Yes the new ones cost coin, what doesnt.  Ive had mine for 28 years now, if you take care of it, it will likely last a lifetime.

Edited by js5020, August 29, 2013 - 08:26 AM.

• JD DANNELS, David Brown and OkieGt have said thanks

#50 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 10:34 AM

I've looked at many older used machines and they all bring a pretty penny if they are any good.  It's much like the used car market.  We just went through that and decided it made more sense to buy new and have a warranty.  Some of the older tractors out there are actually priced more than what they sold new.  This time, I don't want to buy someone else's problems if I don't have to.  I see where you are coming from and I don't really know where this is going to end up.  I just know one thing for sure, the shopping sure has been fun.

I would read any warranty, VERY closely as to what it covers, I understand where your coming from. I enjoy getting an older machine, I want to work on it, I want to understand it and know it inside and out. I dont view issues as inheireting anothers problems only challenges in bringing the machine back to being whole, and in that way I learn how it works. I find it enjoyable and satisfying being able to lengthen the lives of older durable machines. On the flip side I would never spend time working on a newer MTD, Murray, AYP machines because it is a lost cause they are disposable products. I'm afraid some if not all of the CUT/SUT market is going that way with planned obsolences, Companies knowing that tractors dont have to be that well built for what they will be used for. Most of all, our expectations of how long something should cost versus last has changed dramatically. All that negativity aside, I hope you find something good, by the way your doing your research i have faith you will, Good Hunting!

Edited by OkieGt, August 29, 2013 - 11:22 AM.

• David Brown and boyscout862 have said thanks

#51 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 11:38 AM

I would read any warranty, VERY closely as to what it covers, I understand where your coming from. I enjoy getting an older machine, I want to work on it, I want to understand it and know it inside and out. I dont view issues as inheireting anothers problems only challenges in bringing the machine back to being whole, and in that way I learn how it works. I find it enjoyable and satisfying being able to lengthen the lives of older durable machines. On the flip side I would never spend time working on a newer MTD, Murray, AYP machines because it is a lost cause they are disposable products. I'm afraid some if not all of the CUT/SUT market is going that way with planned obsolences, Companies knowing that tractors dont have to be that well built for what they will be used for. Most of all, our expectations of how long something should cost versus last has changed dramatically. All that negativity aside, I hope you find something good, by the way your doing your research i have faith you will, Good Hunting!

I used to enjoy working on them more than I do now.  Now it's a chore because I'm getting so busy at work I rarely ever get out to the shop.  I had to take my weed whacker and my daughters go kart to somebody else to fix.  I'm to the point where I want to get on, turn the key and get the work done.  My knee doesn't much care for clutching anymore either.  My Power Kings have always been that reliable for me.  They are machines I can count on so I may as well make the move and sell them while they are good machines.  When your boss asks you how much sleep you really need, you know you are going to get busy.

• OkieGt said thank you

#52 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 11:59 AM

I used to enjoy working on them more than I do now.  Now it's a chore because I'm getting so busy at work I rarely ever get out to the shop.  I had to take my weed whacker and my daughters go kart to somebody else to fix.  I'm to the point where I want to get on, turn the key and get the work done.  My knee doesn't much care for clutching anymore either.  My Power Kings have always been that reliable for me.  They are machines I can count on so I may as well make the move and sell them while they are good machines.  When your boss asks you how much sleep you really need, you know you are going to get busy.

I vowed I would never work for someone, by the hour or salaried. I'm poor, but I feel really rich, I've always been able to own my time and destiny. Most of all I have faith and trust in God that He will see that I have what I need. What I have never needed is to trust another company or man, just Him. I dont want my life or family to be work, it's not meant to be that way. That may be why there are so many troubles in the world. We are chained to our wants and a slave of our desires. Get your self a old Hydro PK and buy ya a new Hydro tractor, but above all find your joy and dont let it go

• David Brown said thank you

#53 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 12:13 PM

I vowed I would never work for someone, by the hour or salaried. I'm poor, but I feel really rich, I've always been able to own my time and destiny. Most of all I have faith and trust in God that He will see that I have what I need. What I have never needed is to trust another company or man, just Him. I dont want my life or family to be work, it's not meant to be that way. That may be why there are so many troubles in the world. We are chained to our wants and a slave of our desires. Get your self a old Hydro PK and buy ya a new Hydro tractor, but above all find your joy and dont let it go

I have that joy myself.  I am doing exactly what He wants me doing right now.  I know this because I fought it for years.  now I embrace it and love what I do.  It's made a difference.  I've looked at a lot of avenues in this little venture and I keep getting pulled toward a new machine.  I don't know how I will ever afford it but it will work out somehow.  So I know where you are coming from.

• OkieGt said thank you

#54 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 09:06 AM

I have own a Jd 2320 compact right know. I have owned it for almost 4.5 years. I have close to 500 hrs on the tractor. I use the tractor to mow 4 acres of grass a week. I have used it to run a  48 in tiller. I also have a loader for the tractor also. It is the best investment that I have made. It comes in handy for all types of chores. The one thing you need to look at when a some of these sub compact tractors. Is the service intervilles. A lot of the smaller sub compacts when using a loader can become very top heavy and want to tip over.

• JDBrian and OkieGt have said thanks

#55 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,501 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 11:35 AM

I guess I was one of the lucky ones. They brought me into the facility and turned me loose. My boss once told me that there were weeks at a time when he didn't even know if I was at work. I loved it. I had the benefits of the company and was on my own. The down side was I was on call 24 - 7 and 31 years of that can be taxing. 

You guys who can go out on your own and make it, my hat is off to you. This country could use a lot more like you and far less people looking for a handout. Thanks for your efforts.

• boyscout862 and OkieGt have said thanks

#56 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 12:08 PM

I have own a Jd 2320 compact right know. I have owned it for almost 4.5 years. I have close to 500 hrs on the tractor. I use the tractor to mow 4 acres of grass a week. I have used it to run a  48 in tiller. I also have a loader for the tractor also. It is the best investment that I have made. It comes in handy for all types of chores. The one thing you need to look at when a some of these sub compact tractors. Is the service intervilles. A lot of the smaller sub compacts when using a loader can become very top heavy and want to tip over.

Good info, thanks Josh

• boyscout862 said thank you

#57 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 12:11 PM

I guess I was one of the lucky ones. They brought me into the facility and turned me loose. My boss once told me that there were weeks at a time when he didn't even know if I was at work. I loved it. I had the benefits of the company and was on my own. The down side was I was on call 24 - 7 and 31 years of that can be taxing. 

You guys who can go out on your own and make it, my hat is off to you. This country could use a lot more like you and far less people looking for a handout. Thanks for your efforts.

And my hats off to those that work and toil at their jobs, It's is the main reason I collect my old tractors, as a tribute to those men and women who built them with own hands, who clocked in every day and produced the finest equipment made in the world. People like me are just square pegs, we just cant/wont fit in. Every person has their own cart to push or pull, I doubt one is lighter than the other, Thanks Chris

• Cvans and js5020 have said thanks

#58 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 12:13 PM

Heres the thing about compacts from the late 70s and 80s compared to the current stuff, since Ive owned a compact since 1985,,, they are just not as well designed for utility type work they were still geared for farming type work, most front axles arent as robust as current models for loader work, some had aluminum bellhousings which limit loaders and backhoes,most dont have power steering and turn radius dont make em nimble, few have hydro trans, they are more a small farm tractor made to push or pull but not both efficiently at the same time. Both neighbors have near new subcuts one a jd the other a kubota though my machine is bigger they will work rings around mine, they have hydros, power steer, loaders, backhoes and they arent just meant to pull or drag something heck they can have the loader, hoe, and the mid mount deck on at the same time and still use any one at anytime without removing any of em to do it.  Yes the new ones cost coin, what doesnt.  Ive had mine for 28 years now, if you take care of it, it will likely last a lifetime.

All excellent points! thanks

#59 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 02:36 PM

Boy am ii late comingg into this. On the mahindra they are the best selling tractor in the world.
Case IH went to india and signed a contract to have the Mahindra brothers build tractors for them.
Case IH built a huge manufaturing facility in India. When the contract was up the MAHINDRA Brothers bought the facility and are selling all over the world. My only cooncern would be like any american product buy from a reputable dealer.
  • OkieGt said thank you

#60 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 06:08 PM

Boy am ii late comingg into this. On the mahindra they are the best selling tractor in the world.
Case IH went to india and signed a contract to have the Mahindra brothers build tractors for them.
Case IH built a huge manufaturing facility in India. When the contract was up the MAHINDRA Brothers bought the facility and are selling all over the world. My only cooncern would be like any american product buy from a reputable dealer.

That is what I have heard, that they are one of the best tractors built, but if ter one of these up, you'll probably tear anything up, it doesn't matter what some people buy and if you followed them around all day you'd no why, lol