• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#31 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • Member No: 45301
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 03:02 PM

As far as breaking in half goes, we had that happen with an International 986. My dad was pulling a harrow, knocking down some weeds. He drove off in a hole and when he tried to back up the tractor broke in two.

• David Brown and OkieGt have said thanks

#32 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 03:03 PM

My dozer is a 1955 Allis Chalmers, my farm tractor is a 73 Ford 2000, and my TLB is a 71 Ford 4500. They have all paid for themselves a couple times over. Parts are still mostly available and usually aren't too hard. It is also nice to use a loader instead of my back. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, August 27, 2013 - 11:24 PM.

#33 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 04:22 PM

My dozer is a 1955 Allis Chalmers, my farm tractor is a 73 Ford 2000, and my TLB is a 71 Ford 4500. They have all paid for themselves a couple times over. Parts are still mostly available and usually aren't too hard. It is also nice to use a loader instead of my back. Good Luck, Rik

Those are all REAL tractors, The new ones are fancy easy to drive, have great feel, but they cant last, because none of them are built to last, They cant make money in the tractor business if your tractor last as long as the old ones did, remember the old toasters, wash machines, driers, refrigerators, and most of all, TOOLS, they had to start building them to break or the guys building them an the companies were going to go broke

• David Brown and boyscout862 have said thanks

#34 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 04:28 PM

As far as breaking in half goes, we had that happen with an International 986. My dad was pulling a harrow, knocking down some weeds. He drove off in a hole and when he tried to back up the tractor broke in two.

In that case the weight of the tractor and why it was a good tractor conspired against you when it multiplied the force of falling into the hole with the weight of the tractor and harrow, that actually might not happen to a light weight cheap tractor, on the other hand pulling a harrow might not allow the tractor itself to last very long or at least not a harrow that was rated for its HP

• David Brown said thank you

#35 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • Member No: 45301
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 05:20 PM

I am sure that 986 had a hard life, some farmer had probably already retired it when my dad bought it and I haven't known him to be too easy on equipment either. He broke the front axle on the 1086 earlier this year. It just goes to show that anything can happen with any brand.

#36 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 05:57 PM

The manufacturers are all having problems with the quality of steel in their products. Ten years ago a company I worked for bought a large amount of finished steel from China at a low price. It turned out to be less than a quarter of the strenght that it was supposed to be. Several people were hurt because of the steel breaking. To save money they hadn't tested the strenght of the incoming steel. This lack of quality assurance is showing up everywhere. The point of all this is that anything new is a crap shoot now.

I prefer to restore old, well built, and American machines. It saves me alot of money and is probably safer in the long run. Good Luck, Rick

I noticed this in my profession sometime during the early to mid 90's.  Repair parts were being made overseas, there was no quality control either overseas nor in the US.  The cr#p was so cheap they could afford to give some of it away as long as other customers didn't catch on that the quality and fit weren't right.

• David Brown and boyscout862 have said thanks

#37 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 06:11 PM

I noticed this in my profession sometime during the early to mid 90's.  Repair parts were being made overseas, there was no quality control either overseas nor in the US.  The cr#p was so cheap they could afford to give some of it away as long as other customers didn't catch on that the quality and fit weren't right.

They are doing this on Firearms as well, I can tell you I would not own a pistol, rifle, or shotgun made in the last ten years unless I had some good guarantees of how/where the steel was made, I saw two different brand new Colt 1911s literally fall apart at the range, had to get new parts before they were operable again, both were on their first box of ammo. I've heard similar stories on MANY new guns, very scary.

Edited by OkieGt, August 27, 2013 - 06:13 PM.

#38 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 06:34 PM

I too know someone that owns a Kioti and he loves the thing. He grew up on a farm so he knows something about equipment. He has been using it for years with good results. Hard to beat success.

#39 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 09:39 PM

I too know someone that owns a Kioti and he loves the thing. He grew up on a farm so he knows something about equipment. He has been using it for years with good results. Hard to beat success.

I think a tractors use and necessity has changed, many people that own tractors now would never have had one in the past. That makes building and marketing tractors a whole new ball game. There was a time when farm tractors plowed and tilled, now they use no till methods, so big tractors have changed in what they have to do and how powerful they need to be for the task at hand. This subject has so many varibles I dont think there is a right answer, except with more tractor companies vying for your money, tractors have to be better. the same has happened to cars, in the 1970s a car with 150,000 was whooped, now they are barely broken in, and most cars are reliable and well built due to competition

• Cvans, David Brown and boyscout862 have said thanks

#40 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 06:34 PM

I went shopping tonight and was surprised at what I found.  I looked at 4 brands but didn't get to drive anything yet.  Just wasn't enough time tonight, besides, almost everybody was sold out for now!  I looked at the Mahindra Max, The Massey Ferguson GC1705, the Kubota BX1870 and the Deere 1023E.  My budget isn't the biggest so I inquired about tractor and FEL only.  The most expensive and the least expensive really screwed me up for a long time in the future.  These aren't hard numbers because I had enough time to ask about the tractor and get the price with a brochure.

Mahindra Max 25: $13,500 (a few on the lot)

Kubota BX1870:  $13,017 (one in the show room, no FEL)

Massey GC1705: $12,000 (None on the lot today)

John Deere 1023E: 11,099  (None on the lot.  Won't be in till October)

Whaaaaaat?  Yeah, the Deere was the cheapest.  I couldn't believe it.  I really wanted to drive the Massey but he sold most of his inventory in the last two months and the rest are sitting at a Fair until Monday.  I asked about the Mahindra (same guy that handles the Massey) and he said it seems to be a good machine but they are all good when new. He said to talk to him in 5 or 10 years and he would tell me better.  He's been handling Massey for a long time and he said they really go trouble free for years.  I think that's pretty honest of him to give a better report on the less expensive tractor.  I guess most of the Masseys he sold this summer were to local municipalities and school districts.  He had photos of one of his customers running a 5 foot brush hog behind a Massey GC2400 in very tall heavy brush.  He said it cut right though it without hesitation.  I'm liking the Massey here.  I have a friend who bought a new Deere and he said it drinks the fuel like there's no tomorrow.  Not sure how much that actually is.  Anyway, that's today's report.  Going to a fair in Ohio Saturday.  I will look at the Massey there and see what I think.

• boyscout862 and OkieGt have said thanks

#41 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 06:45 PM

I went shopping tonight and was surprised at what I found.  I looked at 4 brands but didn't get to drive anything yet.  Just wasn't enough time tonight, besides, almost everybody was sold out for now!  I looked at the Mahindra Max, The Massey Ferguson GC1705, the Kubota BX1870 and the Deere 1023E.  My budget isn't the biggest so I inquired about tractor and FEL only.  The most expensive and the least expensive really screwed me up for a long time in the future.  These aren't hard numbers because I had enough time to ask about the tractor and get the price with a brochure.

Whaaaaaat?  Yeah, the Deere was the cheapest.  I couldn't believe it.  I really wanted to drive the Massey but he sold most of his inventory in the last two months and the rest are sitting at a Fair until Monday.  I asked about the Mahindra (same guy that handles the Massey) and he said it seems to be a good machine but they are all good when new. He said to talk to him in 5 or 10 years and he would tell me better.  He's been handling Massey for a long time and he said they really go trouble free for years.  I think that's pretty honest of him to give a better report on the less expensive tractor.  I guess most of the Masseys he sold this summer were to local municipalities and school districts.  He had photos of one of his customers running a 5 foot brush hog behind a Massey GC2400 in very tall heavy brush.  He said it cut right though it without hesitation.  I'm liking the Massey here.  I have a friend who bought a new Deere and he said it drinks the fuel like there's no tomorrow.  Not sure how much that actually is.  Anyway, that's today's report.  Going to a fair in Ohio Saturday.  I will look at the Massey there and see what I think.

Not all of these name brand tractors are built buy the name on the side of the tractor besides Kubota and Mahindra, soooo you really need to look at the manufactures counterpart to the name brand, Deere's are yanmar? Massey is Hinomoto?

#42 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 06:52 PM

Not all of these name brand tractors are built buy the name on the side of the tractor besides Kubota and Mahindra, soooo you really need to look at the manufactures counterpart to the name brand, Deere's are yanmar? Massey is Hinomoto?

Yes, the Deere is Yanmar and the Massey is Iseki I guess.

#43 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 07:02 PM

Hinomoto has been out of the game for years,,,, the Agco group machines are likely built by Iseki, they took over when Hinomoto stopped.  Im thinking the only thing Yanmar on the Deere is the Yanmar engine the rest is made by JD. Yanmar Use to be the manufacturer but they were building for MTD (Cub Cadet) last I knew.  What JD the cheapest? Be certain that pricing is with a loader.  TractorData.com lists Augusta GA as the build facility.

Edited by js5020, August 28, 2013 - 07:11 PM.

#44 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 07:18 PM

Im thinking the only thing Yanmar on the Deere is the Yanmar engine the rest is made by JD. Yanmar Use to be the manufacturer but they were building for MTD (Cub Cadet) last I knew. 

Yup they are still building them for cub cadet.  Only thing is the ones I've seen for the last year dont have cub cadet on them anywhere.  They are still yellow and black but they just say Yanmar on them now.  I am thinking the same thing about JD building them themselves and putting Yanmar engines in them but I won't sware to that.

#45 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 07:35 PM

Check member HydroHarold out, he bought himself a new JD within the year I think and posted on here about it.  Might want to PM him if you can't find his post.