• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#16 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 07:24 PM

I have a feeling I know what dealer you are talking about.  LOL!!!!!!!!

They also have JD lawn and garden, they sell JD up to the X7 series, never saw anything JD bigger new though.

• David Brown said thank you

#17 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,723 Thanks
  • 8,906 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 07:46 PM

I looked at a Max 22 last winter. Moved a bit of snow with it. The turning radius is large. The engine is loud compared to a Kubota or Deere. The frame is heavier, though. Hydraulic cycle times for the loader is faster and it has a higher flow rate.

The loader removal is super easy, check YouTube for a video of that. The loader bucket, for some inexplicable reason, is actually one narrower than the rear tires. (R4 tires) Also, spec out the rear rim size. They use 29's instead of 26's. Morons.
  • David Brown and OkieGt have said thanks

#18 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 08:38 PM

What turns people on to Kioti is the price, but these days everybody has a Harley or a tractor, often neither sees heavy use like a motorcycle/tractor of yesteryear or is really justifiable by yesterdays standards. That said, it's really hard to judge ANY brand of tractor even after 10 or 20 years of use when its on someones 2.5 acre ranch. My friends 7 year old Kioti has 92 hours on it, its parked in a heated garage and is used for heavy lifting and the 6 inches of snow we get once every 5-6 years. Its really hard to tell how good a tractor is by that use or many others typical use. Tractor companies know you aren't farming, your sitting on your version of a Harley cause you have the money and you want it, nothing wrong with that at all. I say enjoy, but again we can hardly determine a tractors durability/reliability until we go to Nebraska, Iowa,, Illinois, or such a place where the tractor is actually being challenged in a job.. I have 3 horses, 2 outdoors and one indoors, the one indoors is the cheapest to maintain, I get on it and slide the quarter in the slot and I'm good for a 5 minute ride. I'll tell you a good tractor and that's the ones we collect and use!!!

• Cvans and David Brown have said thanks

#19 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 09:17 PM

What turns people on to Kioti is the price, but these days everybody has a Harley or a tractor, often neither sees heavy use like a motorcycle/tractor of yesteryear or is really justifiable by yesterdays standards. That said, it's really hard to judge ANY brand of tractor even after 10 or 20 years of use when its on someones 2.5 acre ranch. My friends 7 year old Kioti has 92 hours on it, its parked in a heated garage and is used for heavy lifting and the 6 inches of snow we get once every 5-6 years. Its really hard to tell how good a tractor is by that use or many others typical use. Tractor companies know you aren't farming, your sitting on your version of a Harley cause you have the money and you want it, nothing wrong with that at all. I say enjoy, but again we can hardly determine a tractors durability/reliability until we go to Nebraska, Iowa,, Illinois, or such a place where the tractor is actually being challenged in a job.. I have 3 horses, 2 outdoors and one indoors, the one indoors is the cheapest to maintain, I get on it and slide the quarter in the slot and I'm good for a 5 minute ride. I'll tell you a good tractor and that's the ones we collect and use!!!

I don't know about that.  Some of the people here using them own orchards and vineyards.  They get quite frequent use and are not babied either.  Would I buy one?  No probably not, but after looking at a New Holland Boomer and a New Holland Workmaster this morning I wouldnt buy either of those.  Big piles of poo!  If I was looking for a compact it would be a JD, a Kubota, or a Yanmar.

I do 100% agree with your last sentence as well.

Edited by IHCubGuy, August 26, 2013 - 09:18 PM.

• Cvans, David Brown and OkieGt have said thanks

#20 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 09:56 PM

I don't know about that.  Some of the people here using them own orchards and vineyards.  They get quite frequent use and are not babied either.  Would I buy one?  No probably not, but after looking at a New Holland Boomer and a New Holland Workmaster this morning I wouldnt buy either of those.  Big piles of poo!  If I was looking for a compact it would be a JD, a Kubota, or a Yanmar.

I do 100% agree with your last sentence as well.

Not saying some people dont use them, some do and if they maintain them we will see what the results are. But anymore, I dont think JD, Massey, Case, or Allis are better tractors in the small tractor market than the Kiotis, Mahindras, Mitsubishis, or Yanmars, because there all the same tractors. I dont think my 37 hp 4200lb IH424 diesel gets the work out it was intended to being used on my 20 acres to bush hog, plow and disk some, that said I bet a 37hp new tractor wont be around still running and working as long as my IH424, in fact I doubt any of those new tractors will be around when mine is still running, If it is being used on a farm. Bottom line a 37-50hp tractor today is hardly the same tractor as it was in the 60s or 70s. It's all good though 

• Cvans and David Brown have said thanks

#21 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 01:17 AM

in fact I doubt any of those new tractors will be around when mine is still running,

I doubt either of us will be either.  :bigrofl: 

#22 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 03:40 AM

I don't doubt what you are telling me but it does make me wonder about some things such as, how does he care for his equipment, how old is the tractor (is it one, two or more generations back or the most recent model?), does he leave it sit out or is he particular about the care he gives his equipment.  The paint thing is a minor issue to me.  I'll use a pink tractor any day of the week as long as it does what I want it to do.  I would just be interested more in the day to day life this particular machine lives.

It's parked inside and he is very careful about his stuff, infact his the paint looks fine, it just flaked off of things like the fenders and foot rests and then rotted through ... But his is a second generation machine . But what upsets him the most is that it only has a few hundred hours on it and is parked indoors.

What really bothered him was the clutch failure at 1 year, and when he was at the dealer getting it fixed he saw 2 others that had broken in half at the transmission , and were outside behind the building waiting to be fixed. Both did not have loaders or backhoes on them. Seems the castings were very poor and failed? Then after he got his back, the rear axle housing on his failed.

They fixed it right away but that really shattered his confidence in it ,so now he barely uses it.

• David Brown and boyscout862 have said thanks

#23 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 04:28 AM

It's parked inside and he is very careful about his stuff, infact his the paint looks fine, it just flaked off of things like the fenders and foot rests and then rotted through ... But his is a second generation machine . But what upsets him the most is that it only has a few hundred hours on it and is parked indoors.

What really bothered him was the clutch failure at 1 year, and when he was at the dealer getting it fixed he saw 2 others that had broken in half at the transmission , and were outside behind the building waiting to be fixed. Both did not have loaders or backhoes on them. Seems the castings were very poor and failed? Then after he got his back, the rear axle housing on his failed.

They fixed it right away but that really shattered his confidence in it ,so now he barely uses it.

Hmmm, well thank you for getting into more detail.  It certainly does shed a new (and somewhat disturbing) light on the matter.  I realize there are bummers that come off the line in all brands but this really makes one think.  I have no idea what generation they are on now but I would hope that some of these problems have been solved.  Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

• OkieGt said thank you

#24 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 07:12 AM

None of these tractors are built strong enough to do what the companies say they will do or that people expect them to do. They are light and weak, much like our future generation

Edited by OkieGt, August 27, 2013 - 07:12 AM.

• David Brown and boyscout862 have said thanks

#25 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 07:59 AM

I was poking around their web sight and they are doing all kinds of comparing to the likes of Kubota, Jon Deere and even NewHolland about lifting cap., tractor mass and weight, tire size , and so on? I would think they must have addressed these issues, or they are setting them selves up for failure! And I would do it that highly! Bring the Nebraska reports on them!! Then we can compare!

#26 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 08:30 AM

Yes, I've seen some pretty impressive videos on the Mahindra.  When you get right down to it, any of these tractors can do far more than I will ever ask of them.  It's probably going to come down to comfort and price (probably more price).  It's nice to have more than you need, but sometimes it can get you into trouble too.

• OkieGt said thank you

#27 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,537 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 02:22 PM

Since the mid 80s I've seen about 6 of the small loader backhoes break at the bell housing. Two were Ford, the others I don't even remember the brands. I looked closely at the Ford 1710 and I thought that it was a poor design. Here is a recent one.

http://newlondon.cra...4027867969.html

New Holland TC30 (Thompson)

I have a New Holland TC 30 with only 670 hrs on it (2005 I believe) everything on machine is in great condition. I had a frame crack which led to a motor crack. It is not worth fixing. I am looking to part out the machine as there are a lot of low hour parts.

respond with your phone number for me to call you.

I decided to go with an old full size 4500 TLB and haven't regretted it.

What I have noticed in my profession as a Civil Engineer is that alot of steel has gotten inconsistant in its properties. It caused me 25 years ago, to upgrade the steel that I specified for bridges because I didn't trust the strength and corrosion resistance of the normal steel any more. This made them cost a little more but alot safer. My willingness to spend a little more for extra safety has cost me several jobs. But, nobody has died on my watch.

The manufacturers are all having problems with the quality of steel in their products. Ten years ago a company I worked for bought a large amount of finished steel from China at a low price. It turned out to be less than a quarter of the strenght that it was supposed to be. Several people were hurt because of the steel breaking. To save money they hadn't tested the strenght of the incoming steel. This lack of quality assurance is showing up everywhere. The point of all this is that anything new is a crap shoot now.

I prefer to restore old, well built, and American machines. It saves me alot of money and is probably safer in the long run. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, August 27, 2013 - 02:24 PM.

• HowardsMF155, David Brown and OkieGt have said thanks

#28 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 02:33 PM

It caused me 25 years ago, to upgrade the steel that I specified 

Back in the middle 70's a company I was working for decided to go with imported steel. We found gas pockets, carbon inconsistencies, and stuff we couldn't even identify in the steel. It took us quite a while to come up with a welding gas that would produce consistent welds.  

Like you said, designing a safe structure now days would be a real nightmare. There is imported cast iron out there that doesn't have the strength of aluminum. How is the poor consumer suppose to tell the difference. Buying a tractor from one of the US manufacturers guarantees nothing as you have no idea were the tractor or parts are made.  :(

I'll stick with my old iron  :thumbs:

Edited by Cvans, August 27, 2013 - 04:58 PM.

• HowardsMF155, David Brown, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#29 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 02:52 PM

Since the mid 80s I've seen about 6 of the small loader backhoes break at the bell housing. Two were Ford, the others I don't even remember the brands. I looked closely at the Ford 1710 and I thought that it was a poor design. Here is a recent one.

http://newlondon.cra...4027867969.html

New Holland TC30 (Thompson)

I have a New Holland TC 30 with only 670 hrs on it (2005 I believe) everything on machine is in great condition. I had a frame crack which led to a motor crack. It is not worth fixing. I am looking to part out the machine as there are a lot of low hour parts.

respond with your phone number for me to call you.

I decided to go with an old full size 4500 TLB and haven't regretted it.

What I have noticed in my profession as a Civil Engineer is that alot of steel has gotten inconsistant in its properties. It caused me 25 years ago, to upgrade the steel that I specified for bridges because I didn't trust the strength and corrosion resistance of the normal steel any more. This made them cost a little more but alot safer. My willingness to spend a little more for extra safety has cost me several jobs. But, nobody has died on my watch.

The manufacturers are all having problems with the quality of steel in their products. Ten years ago a company I worked for bought a large amount of finished steel from China at a low price. It turned out to be less than a quarter of the strenght that it was supposed to be. Several people were hurt because of the steel breaking. To save money they hadn't tested the strenght of the incoming steel. This lack of quality assurance is showing up everywhere. The point of all this is that anything new is a crap shoot now.

I prefer to restore old, well built, and American machines. It saves me alot of money and is probably safer in the long run. Good Luck, Rick

I cant tell you how much I appreciate your post!!! Thank you for your integrity and professionalism. I've know this for years and the people I talk to say, they wouldn't sell it if it was bad, yeah they would and do, how about that chinese sheetrock fiasco?

• HowardsMF155, Cvans, David Brown and 1 other said thanks

#30 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 02:55 PM

I'll tell you what, I'd put up a IH444/454/464 diesel against any medium size tractor built today, that was good Iron, same with the Deere 2010/4010, Case Comfort Kings, and the like.. The 1970 early 1980s where the last of the real tractors were built

• Cvans, David Brown and boyscout862 have said thanks