Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Mahindra

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 07:55 AM

Does anyone know anything about the Mahindra SCUTS?  Been reading about them and they seem pretty impressive.  I like the fact they have a Mitsubishi diesel engine.  Anyone have one?

• JRJ and OkieGt have said thanks

#2 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 10:01 AM

Does anyone know anything about the Mahindra SCUTS?  Been reading about them and they seem pretty impressive.  I like the fact they have a Mitsubishi diesel engine.  Anyone have one?

Everything I've heard about them is that they are great machines, maybe one of the best in the market today. THE ONLY thing bad I've heard is that they do not use a hardener in their paint and if you leave it outside in a year or so the tractor starts fading to pink. But many of the new tractors, not sure of Mahindra, are plastic molded body parts rather than sheet metal so I dont know if they fade like the metal on the loaders, frame etc

• Alc, David Brown and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 10:24 AM

If I was moving away from the major brands I'd also look at the Kyoti. The parent company owns Bobcat and they make a nice machine. You need to look at after sale support as well as the actual tractor. That's where JD, AGCO, Kubota etc. can have an edge over smaller companies with fewer dealers and more limited parts warehousing. Resale valiue is another cost down the road.

• Alc, David Brown, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#4 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 12:27 PM

They are suppose to be a decent unit, like any machine or brand you can get one with an issue.  Im more of a keep it till the end of time kinda guy so resale usually isnt a big factor for me.  However with that being said it had better be quite a bit cheaper than a JD or Kubota or it makes no sense as the big names are kings of service and support, (individual dealers may be another matter).  Back 30 yrs ago I couldn't make a deal with the JD dealers around and I ended up with an Allis Chalmers (rebadged Hinomoto) its been a good machine with no issues I still have it and use it regularly.  It cost almost 2K less than what the local JD dealers wanted for their product.(2K on an 8K machine was more of a premium than I was willing to pay, even if it was gold plated).  The local Kubota dealer, also Mahindra dealer is an assembler for those Mahindras, I dont think he would mess with them if they werent a decent machine.

Edited by js5020, August 22, 2013 - 12:28 PM.

• David Brown, oldedeeres and OkieGt have said thanks

#5 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,866 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 12:33 PM

As you all know, I'm a JD. man, but some of these newer "unknown" machines are really worth looking at. Kubota comes to mind--- nobody up here knew a thing about them when they came out, but look at them now!

• David Brown said thank you

#6 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,412 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 04:32 PM

A friend of mine has one ..... 40 horse and it is already rotted to pieces! He is so disappointed in It it makes him sick. Clutch went in just over a year, rear final drive broke the casting off and leaked oil all over. And all this rig does is unload snowmobile crates when they get delivered. He doesn't even use it to move snow with!

#7 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 07:37 AM

I have never owned one, but I never liked Mahindra, one reason is the paint is completely faded out in a year and it's just not the plastic.Their loaders and attachments are also always faded too. I have seem them sitting new at a dealer and they are already fading out, I think that is a sign of low quality because if they are using cheap paint then what else are they going cheap on???

I bought a used 1994 Kubota L2000 (20hp) last year, I have had the tractor for a year and I haven't had any troubles at all, I have never had to ad oil to the engine because it has never been low. I have also heard good reviews about Kioti tractors, but I have never owned one.

Good luck on your search

• David Brown and OkieGt have said thanks

#8 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 07:45 AM

They are suppose to be a decent unit, like any machine or brand you can get one with an issue.  Im more of a keep it till the end of time kinda guy so resale usually isnt a big factor for me.  However with that being said it had better be quite a bit cheaper than a JD or Kubota or it makes no sense as the big names are kings of service and support, (individual dealers may be another matter).  Back 30 yrs ago I couldn't make a deal with the JD dealers around and I ended up with an Allis Chalmers (rebadged Hinomoto) its been a good machine with no issues I still have it and use it regularly.  It cost almost 2K less than what the local JD dealers wanted for their product.(2K on an 8K machine was more of a premium than I was willing to pay, even if it was gold plated).  The local Kubota dealer, also Mahindra dealer is an assembler for those Mahindras, I dont think he would mess with them if they werent a decent machine.

Mahindra is sold and serviced through International Harvester/Case

#9 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 07:06 AM

A friend of mine has one ..... 40 horse and it is already rotted to pieces! He is so disappointed in It it makes him sick. Clutch went in just over a year, rear final drive broke the casting off and leaked oil all over. And all this rig does is unload snowmobile crates when they get delivered. He doesn't even use it to move snow with!

I don't doubt what you are telling me but it does make me wonder about some things such as, how does he care for his equipment, how old is the tractor (is it one, two or more generations back or the most recent model?), does he leave it sit out or is he particular about the care he gives his equipment.  The paint thing is a minor issue to me.  I'll use a pink tractor any day of the week as long as it does what I want it to do.  I would just be interested more in the day to day life this particular machine lives.

• OkieGt said thank you

#10 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 05:38 PM

I don't doubt what you are telling me but it does make me wonder about some things such as, how does he care for his equipment, how old is the tractor (is it one, two or more generations back or the most recent model?), does he leave it sit out or is he particular about the care he gives his equipment.  The paint thing is a minor issue to me.  I'll use a pink tractor any day of the week as long as it does what I want it to do.  I would just be interested more in the day to day life this particular machine lives.

I agree, there could be mitigating circumstances to this event

#11 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 06:32 PM

I have a feeling I know what dealer you are talking about.  LOL!!!!!!!!

• David Brown and OkieGt have said thanks

#12 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 06:40 PM

Mahindra is sold and serviced through International Harvester/Case

I am thinking that just depends on the dealer.  In our area CaseIH dealers don't have anything to do with Mahindra tractors.  Our one local Kubota dealer does deal in them though. 

#13 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 06:45 PM

I have never owned one, but I never liked Mahindra, one reason is the paint is completely faded out in a year and it's just not the plastic.Their loaders and attachments are also always faded too. I have seem them sitting new at a dealer and they are already fading out, I think that is a sign of low quality because if they are using cheap paint then what else are they going cheap on???

I bought a used 1994 Kubota L2000 (20hp) last year, I have had the tractor for a year and I haven't had any troubles at all, I have never had to ad oil to the engine because it has never been low. I have also heard good reviews about Kioti tractors, but I have never owned one.

Good luck on your search

Its not cheap paint, the paint is actually quite good, it's a lack of poly converter or hardener which cost a whooping 16 dollars extra per gallon, funny how people want to put paint on a tractor that doesn't hold up, but you ask them and they say it its been holding up great for a whole 6 months, kept inside. Funny, I've heard horror stories about the Kioti's lol

#14 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 06:51 PM

Funny, I've heard horror stories about the Kioti's lol

Local dealer here that is all they sell in new tractors and they are selling em like hot cakes and have been for the last 7-8 years.  I know some people that have them and love them.  Definately giving the Kubotas a run for their money in our area.

#15 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 07:11 PM

I too have heard bad things about the Kioti.  My neighbor, however, has had one for as long as I can remember and it always seems to be out working.  I don't know him well enough (he's not one to socialize with us local folk) to ask him how its been for him.  The Daedong engine turns me off.  They may be fine but I just don't know all that much about them.