• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bunker Buster OFFLINE  

Bunker Buster
  • Member No: 45149
  • 56 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 09:43 PM

I've been into rock crawling for about eight years now. I was into drag racing for a long time, but then I found crawling. What I would spend for one night at the track, I can spend on a whole weekend crawling.. Plus, I get to include the family and friends.

My latest toy is a custom tube buggy. It's small, light and has a good amount of power and gearing. The engine is a propane fed 454 with a sm465 trans, custom made by me 203/205 doubler, one ton axles. The front is a Dana 60 with a Dana 70 ring/pinion and welded carrier with chromoly shafts and 5.13's. The front suspension is a three link with 18" airshocks and the rear is a one link with 18" airshocks. Three of us built it over the course of four months and I've been wheeling it for the last two years.

20130427_133511_zps81475175.jpg

IMG_20130427_113243_468_zps00c7109e.jpg

2013-02-18_14-54-44_718_zps6cd36242.jpg
  • NUTNDUN, Gtractor, Alc and 8 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,466 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 09:50 PM

Very cool machine you have built there. Looks to be built really well, nice job!! :thumbs:

• Bunker Buster said thank you

#3 Bunker Buster OFFLINE  

Bunker Buster
  • 56 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 09:52 PM

Th latest project is an International Scout for my wife. We cut the frame down, narrowed the body and are building a custom cage. I'm swapping the Scout drive train for a 350, TH400, 205. The axles are Dana 44's with Detroits front and rear. The front springs have been flipped around and I did a one link rear with 14" coil over shocks. This one will be street legal so she can cruise it to town when we are out wheeling. I'll get some better pics this weekend.

IMG_20130602_240318_140_zps4170ecc9.jpg

IMG_20130602_240219_203_zpsc6cc0322.jpg
  • NUTNDUN, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 3 others have said thanks

#4 Bunker Buster OFFLINE  

Bunker Buster
  • 56 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 09:56 PM

Very cool machine you have built there. Looks to be built really well, nice job!! :thumbs:

Thanks! I'm real happy with it. Pit Bull is replacing the 42" Rockers because they started separating and splitting. They shipped today and should be here in time to swap on this weekend. Then we're off to Missouri to wheel at SMORR for a long Labor Day weekend.
  • hamman said thank you

#5 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,599 Thanks
  • 5,021 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 08:16 AM

Sweet!!! I would so love to do that, but not a lot of option around in in way of trails unless you drive a few hours. not to mention, I don't have the money to build one up. Would be nice to build up the Wife's jeep Liberty when it finally dies. BDS built one for the Ultimate rig challenge recently.

I know member Twostep also has a built up Jeep, he does some off roading in Ky region.

#6 Bunker Buster OFFLINE  

Bunker Buster
  • 56 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 08:25 AM

We have quite a few parks to go play that are within a few hours.  Clayton Ok, is three hours, Bridgeport is an hour and a half, then most of the others are within four to five hours.  We have a 35k acre private ranch we wheel in the Big Bend area once a year.  We spend a week wheeling and spending time with friends out there.  That's the furthest so far, eight hour drive.  This is definitely not a cheap hobby to get into, not if you're going to build the rig to last.  We run the hard, stupid stuff and I hate being the trail plug because something broke.  It's going to happen occasionally, but I do my best to keep my rig maintained so it doesn't happen often.

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Crazy about GTTalk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 10,082 Thanks
  • 7,921 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 08:26 AM

Nice!!! Where did you develop the skills to build this? Are you in Auto Repair?

#8 Bunker Buster OFFLINE  

Bunker Buster
  • 56 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 08:31 AM

Nice!!! Where did you develop the skills to build this? Are you in Auto Repair?

No, building cars, trucks, crawlers has been a hobby of mine for the last 20+ years.  I've always had some kind of hot rod or crawler.  I and two other buddies do this on the side for ourselves and others.  The other two are machinests by trade, so we have full access to three large CNC machins, lathes, end mills, etc...  It's just something we all enjoy and keeps us out of trouble.  My wife and four year old son love going with us wheeling, that's why I'm building her one now.  Something she can cruise in and hit the by-passes when we get to the big climbs.

• LilysDad said thank you