• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lgpatterson OFFLINE  

lgpatterson
  • Member No: 45208
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 08:06 PM

Have a John Deere LA125 and I am trying to replace the deck belt. I have the correct belt according to my owner's manual GX20072 for a 42" deck. My question is what is the trick to getting this thing on? I have tried everything I know but can't seem to get it on. I have lowered the deck to the lowest position and removed the deck completely. I have the belt weaved correctly based on pictures. Once I put the deck back under the mower to attach it I can either attach the deck correctly but not get the belt around the main drive pulley or I can get the blet on but not get the deck attached properly. I have read the owners manual and something just isn't hitting me. What is the trick to get the new belt on? Thanks for any advice.

Lance

Edited by lgpatterson, August 21, 2013 - 08:28 PM.

#2 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,448 Thanks
  • 3,996 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 01:51 AM

Hello Lance and welcome to GTT. Try the explanation from OMGX22661_J7 and I hope, it works  ildeere.gif

• JDBrian said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 05:22 AM

Are you sure you have the correct belt. Compare the size to the old one. Check the belt part no. on JDParts.com. There could be a different belt based on ser. no. of your tractor or a mistake in the manual. it wouldn't be the first time.

#4 lgpatterson OFFLINE  

lgpatterson
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 08:39 AM

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately  OMGX22661_J7 is the same as what is in my owner's manual. It doesn't really give detailed steps. It just has things like attach belt. Reattach deck. It doesn't go into detail about how to do it. Now I know how to attach the deck is simple because I have done it but I just can't get the belt on and attach the deck too. It's like the belt needs stretching or something.

I have looked up the part number on the belt and the owner's manual says the same GX20072. That is what I bought. The same number is on the packaging of the belt. They could have put the worng belt in the package.

Here is what I have done. I have the belt weaved correctly. I have no doubt from th picture in the owner's manual. I put the deck under the mower and I put the belt around the main drive pulley and get it in the guides. At this point I can connect the deck levelers on both sides but the deck will not go back far enough to put the other flat bar supports back on.

On the other hand if I put the deck back on connecting the flat bar supports and the deck levelers first then I can't get the belt forward enought to go around the main drive pulley.

May be I have the wrong belt but the packaging has the correct number according to my owner's manual  107cm 42" part number GX20072. I looked up the belt on JDParts.com and that is the same number.

Thanks so much for helping this novice. I appreciate everyone's time!!!!!!

Edited by lgpatterson, August 22, 2013 - 08:42 AM.

#5 lgpatterson OFFLINE  

lgpatterson
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 10:13 AM

Update -- Broke down and took mower to local JD dealer. Verified part number on the belt and GX20072 is the correct part number. Has not been subbed with a different part number. I just can't figure the trick to getting this thing on. Gonna have to spend the $100 or so bucks after all. Hopefully when I go back to get it, in a week because they are behind, I can get the guy to show me the trick. Will post details just so others who may be looking can have a reference.

By the way, thanks for welcoming me to the forum. I should have started with that before posting anything after my first post. My apologies!! Thanks to all who replied wiht suggestions. I appreciate your time.

Lance

#6 lgpatterson OFFLINE  

lgpatterson
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 09:29 PM

Update....Wnet back to JD today because they have not gotten a chance to get to my mower yet. PIcked it up and was going to take it to someone else who may could get to it faster. While I was there I decided to purchase another belt from them to see if there was a difference between their belt and the one I bought at Lowes. WOW... the Lowes belt is two inches shorter. It has the same green and yellow package as the one I bought from John Deere today. It has the same writing on the box. I showed it to the JD parts guys and they were flabbergasted. So I did have the wrong belt after all but I can only suspect that it was packaged in the wrong slip and sent to Lowes. I will be returning it tomorrow. Belt is on and the deck is on with no problem! Thanks to all who replied with assistance. I appreciate it very much!!

Edited by lgpatterson, August 30, 2013 - 09:30 PM.