#1 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 08:12 AM

New here!  Hi everyone!

My father and I have been restoring tractors for several years now.  We also restore vintage minibikes.  We have completed several cub cadet restores.  And one rebuild for use for my father.  I did live in town about 20 miles away from my parents, but recently divorced and bought a house with a 4 acre lot 5 houses down from them.  I didn’t have a tractor but borrowed the trusty 128 to cut my lawn every week.  I always wanted my own tractor and couldn’t talk dad into letting me take one of our restored cubs to use on my lawn.

I picked up a Ariens GT17 at an auction for 100 dollars.  People had came from all over to bid on this tractor.  It was listed in the auction flyer as “Running machine, cuts grass, everything works”  I didn’t go to bid on the tractor but I was there buying up tools, and other oddities.  We all got there for the pre-auction walk through and the tractor didn’t run.  I knew the guy who owned the items being auctioned.  He had passed away about 6 months ago, and I knew he didn’t use his Ariens anymore but cut with a craftsman tractor.  Well, they tinkered with it unsuccessfully for about 2 hours before the auction started before giving up.

Bidding started on the tractor.  Auctioneer had high hopes of a big sale on this beautiful orange hulk of a tractor.  “Fifteen hundred!” He yelled out enthusiastically.  I swear crickets could be heard as everyone looked at each other.  Slowly but surely the starting bid dropped and dropped.  Finally he looked out at the crowd sadly and said “Someone give me 10 dollars for it!”  I raised my hand and the bidding war began.  I looked at my father and said I’ll go to 100 and I’m out.  My final bid, 95 to 100 and silence fell across the crowd.  Going once, going twice, fair warning, SOLD!  I quickly went and paid my ticket.

I hadn’t really looked at the tractor.  Other than I knew it had a 60” deck, wheel weights, a Kohler twin, and a nice seat.  Never thought about it being hydrostatic drive.  I knew I couldn’t get it up in my truck by pushing.  Luckily I only lived 4 miles from the location where the auction was.  We ran home, grabbed some starting fluid, fresh gas, and our trusty tool box.  After a few checks we realized it wasn’t getting spark.  Popped the points cover, cleaned and adjusted, pulled the coil wires there was moisture built up in the plugs, sprayed some cleaner in there, gave it a shot of ether.  WOOM! She roared to life and purred like a kitten.  The auctioneer came over and said I need to hirer you boys to work for me fixing equipment!  That thing would of went for at least a grand if it was running.  I drove it the 4 miles home.  Pulled in and noticed a trail of oil behind me.

Problems  rear PTO seal was puking oil.  Hydraulic lines were all toast, seeping oil, rubber coating gone, air cleaner missing and loose steering.

I tore apart about half the tractor it felt like to get the sunstrand pump off.  Found a  SKF number for the shaft seal, went to my buddies shop and made up the 4 hydraulic hoses, greased the steering box and adjusted the take up bolt.  Now she runs and drives great.  Need to find an air cleaner cover yet.  Can’t find one anywhere!  Kind of a tear drop shape.

Total cost for a running driving, work horse of a tractor.  $145.00

I’ll get some pictures and post them up.  Right now it’s a repair to get it to cut my grass.  This winter it will be a complete tear down and rebuild.

Edited by toomanytoys84, August 21, 2013 - 08:13 AM.

• MH81, hamman, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 10:24 AM

That's quite a story cant wait to see those pictures. And welcome to our beloved community :wave:

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 10:33 AM

Welcome to GTTalk and congrats on the great buy on the Ariens. There is an Ariens 931 series service manual in the manuals section that should be a big help if you want to make any more repairs.

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 11:02 AM

Welcome to GTT. Good job on the Ariens. Its nice to see knowledge rewarded. Relax and enjoy the site. Download three manuals per day for free. Remember we like to see pictures. Good Luck, Rick

#5 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 11:23 AM

Thanks guys!

I found a service manual and owners manual already.  I have them printed up, hole punched and in binders already.

Nothing too complicated on them.  The rear PTO seal was a pain to get out, but I chipped away at it.

Do you guys have a thread in this forum for cross overs?  I have crossed over and discovered a few parts that can be had a lot cheaper than dealers.

I paid 2.65 for the pto seal instead of 20.  I got the hoses made, and have the sizes and fittings wrote down.  Paid 20 for those. instead of 50 some bucks a piece.

#6 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 06:48 PM

Dummy me I let my lift hoses sag down into my coupler and burnt through my hoses. Sucks for me.

Going to pick up 2 more hoses tomorrow.

Also noticed my speed seems slow. noticed my arm has some more movement in n it but its not going all the way forward. Also wants to slide back out of high unless I keep my hand on it

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 07:49 PM

You did great on that price.  It's hard to get even a non-running tractor like that for a similar price at an auction around here.

Ben W.

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,531 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 09:05 PM

Welcome to GTT! Wow, you got a deal.  Sounds like a nice project tractor that won't take long to get running. 

#9 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 09:28 PM

I actually cut about a 20x20 square with it tonight. Ran great until the darn hoses exploded and my deck dropped and my nicely degreased tractor was coated in 20 dollars worth of oil. Oh well.

Not used to tractors with hydraulic lift.

I was impressed with the power. I was cutting a chunk on my dads that he doesnt usually cut. It was chucking out grass.

Edited by toomanytoys84, August 21, 2013 - 09:30 PM.

#10 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 08:35 PM

Cut all my grass with it tonight. Figured out my speed and sloppy handle problem.

Ran decent. Lots and lots of rattles. I need to sit down and replace a lot of bolts and tighten it all up. Deck covers sound like cymbals.

Needs more grease as well.

The gear box on the deck. Whst oil do I use in this? Going to pull the deck back off grease and service everything tomorrow.

Kind of nervous about the series one kt17. Read lots of bad stories.

#11 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,531 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 08:40 PM

I think the mower gear box would take soft grease, not truly oil. A bit thicker than gear oil. A simple fix is half grease and half oil.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#12 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 05:39 AM

I think the mower gear box would take soft grease, not truly oil. A bit thicker than gear oil. A simple fix is half grease and half oil.

I'll try that out today.

I haven't opened it up, and half way through cutting my yard I was having a panic attack thinking that gear box was dry!

#13 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 02:59 PM

Here are the pictures I promised. don't be too hard on her as she is only in the got her mowing stage. Needs some love in the appearance department. But like my ex wife a lot of make up and some hair dye and she will be presentable

Check out those pretty new hoses. oh yeah!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20130823_155229_286.jpg
  • IMG_20130823_155242_313.jpg
  • IMG_20130823_155307_296.jpg

Edited by toomanytoys84, August 23, 2013 - 03:01 PM.

• twostep said thank you

#14 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 03:13 PM

Nice looking machine just the way it is!! You stole that one!!

Are you mowing a real hilly area? If not, I wouldn't worry too much about the Series I KT. There are still a lot of them running around out there.

#15 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 03:24 PM

My yard has a slope to it. But nothing major. You can sit a table in it and not have your drinks slide off the table.

Its not sit on the fender to avoid flipping over steel
  • twostep said thank you