3 replies to this topic

#1 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 08:54 PM

I've got a Gravely with the Kohler engine.  I kind of want to get rid of it, but it isn't running.  When it was last running, there was a lot of blowby and smoke coming out the breather, and the exhaust was smoking too.  Looked like it was time for a new set of rings or more.  Dad took it to someone who works on Gravelys, and we discovered that someone had welded the flywheel to the crankshaft, so the repair guy didn't want to touch it.  I've since been told that you can simply drop the oil pan on a Kohler, pull the piston out and put in a set of rings.  Not really the way I'd want to go, but easiest and cheapest to get it running again to sell.  Would like to hear any thoughts about this.

Thanks in advance,

Howard

#2 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 10:27 PM

Yup cept ya need to pull the head also.  Only issue is its gonna likely have a short life as a "good" engine those new rings may hide the fact the bore is actually shot for a short time but it will start smoking again for the new owner and he will find what you already know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, better a good name than a few beans in yur pocket,, the name sticks the coin is soon gone,,, part out the pos.

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 01:28 AM

Yup cept ya need to pull the head also.  Only issue is its gonna likely have a short life as a "good" engine those new rings may hide the fact the bore is actually shot for a short time but it will start smoking again for the new owner and he will find what you already know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, better a good name than a few beans in yur pocket,, the name sticks the coin is soon gone,,, part out the pos.

Yes, the thought of deliberately passing off something of inferior quality is not something I would want to live with.  It was presented to me as a potential solution for the issue.  If it can be done with hope for a reasonable outcome, then it's worth trying.  As much knowledge resides on this board, I figure someone can give an answer. 

• bgkid2966 said thank you

#4 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 09:00 AM

I have a K301 here that broke a rod, in a Gravely, it really needed to be bored as its over spec and you can tell the bore is out of round (typical tired Kohler K) but I needed the machine at the time so I just put another rod, piston and rings in it.  Does it run? Yep it runs fine, starts fine, didnt smoke and use oil at first but over time it went back to its old habit and has a slight knock (piston slap I figure)  I dont run the engine at full rpms, it has been that way for a few years now and I have put many hours on it, so it should get your engine running and still be semi reliable.  I have no plans on selling it and I suppose if I did I would either rebuild it or be very upfront with the new owner as far as the actual condition of the engine.  Nothing wrong selling a machine with an inferior engine as long as everyone knows its true condition, they can make their own decisions after that.

• bgkid2966 said thank you