sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 04:21 PM

My buddy owns big tractors so this one will have one main job.....looking for something that has a 40-48" tiller. he wants to keep up a garden about 150 x 150ft maybe a little larger

He is a big guy so needs to be a good size GT. I was thinking like one of the big AC like a sunstar, maybe one of the newer power kings, I mentioned to him a JD430 have PS and the Yanmar diesel. He knew I owned a small yanmar 4w so that is one reason he was asking me.

He is a farm boy.....but not the type that is going to have to work on something all the time. So needs to be dependable.

Need your suggestion and what you the price range would be for it.

Thanks,

• Dieselcubmike and JRJ have said thanks

#2 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 04:43 PM

Sounds like more of a candidate for a small Chinese diesel, like a Kubota, Mitsubishi, 48 inch tiller is really getting at the edge of GT capabilities. Plus you'll pay just as much for a JD430, Allis 720/920 as will a small diesel that will have Cat 1 and rear PTO. I see small diesels tractors in the 1500-2500 range all the time, a big JD around here will set you back 4 grand easy

• Gtractor, sacsr, Dieselcubmike and 2 others have said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 04:56 PM

I think OkieGT has it all figured out.  Besides, spinning that big of a tiller will tax a garden tractor's engine if it has to pull through deep soil or hard soil.  It might tax the little engine about like Uncle Sam is treating us: it'll go broke.

Ben W.

• sacsr, JRJ and OkieGt have said thanks

#4 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 05:06 PM

Okay I am not disagreeing . Go either way. What model I'd it is a Kubota etc? Or if he drops down to a 36-40" tiller what's his best choice.
I own a Yanmar 18hp 4wd and that is why he was asking me. I sent him info on a small Yanmar 3digit made for the USA market for around $3000 with 4+ implements. I was just trying to see what other choices there was. Does he need the larger tiller for that size of a garden?

No wrong or right answers here....just looking for suggestions, if Kubota which one and why? If a smaller get can do it which one and why?

Thanks for the feedback....keep it coming!
  • JRJ and OkieGt have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 05:18 PM

I'd go with an older Kubota B series tractor or a JD 855 or 4110 for instance. I take it he doesn't want anything too new / expensive since he's only using it as a tiller.

#6 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 05:19 PM

I think OkieGT has it all figured out.  Besides, spinning that big of a tiller will tax a garden tractor's engine if it has to pull through deep soil or hard soil.  It might tax the little engine about like Uncle Sam is treating us: it'll go broke.

Ben W.

With a small diesel a plow, cultivator, and disk will do almost anything a expensive tiller will do, or older 4 foot tillers run around 700 on average. The small 15-18 diesel is a tough market for a seller, but a great market for a buyer if he needs something just a little larger than a GT, often previous owners bought small diesels to do a job that really required a larger tractor, one reason you see quite a few out there

• sacsr, superaben and JRJ have said thanks

#7 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 05:22 PM

Okay I am not disagreeing . Go either way. What model I'd it is a Kubota etc? Or if he drops down to a 36-40" tiller what's his best choice.
I own a Yanmar 18hp 4wd and that is why he was asking me. I sent him info on a small Yanmar 3digit made for the USA market for around $3000 with 4+ implements. I was just trying to see what other choices there was. Does he need the larger tiller for that size of a garden?

No wrong or right answers here....just looking for suggestions, if Kubota which one and why? If a smaller get can do it which one and why?

Thanks for the feedback....keep it coming!

He needs a larger tractor than a GT for tilling 150x150, GT would be too slow and too much wear and tear. ALWAYS buy more tractor than need.

• sacsr, Delmar, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#8 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 05:23 PM

One of the Large Frame 2-cyl Bolens like the 1886, HT18, HT20, or HT23 would be very good for what he's wanting to do.

#9 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 05:23 PM

Just remembered he said something about wanting it to clean up between the rows....maybe he is using the tiller as a weeder? I need to get more info fom him.
  • JRJ said thank you

#10 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 06:22 PM

One of the Large Frame 2-cyl Bolens like the 1886, HT18, HT20, or HT23 would be very good for what he's wanting to do.

Yes it would work GREAT, probably similarly priced to a Chinese diesel, but without true rear shaft PTO and maybe less common, It's what I would want, but if your not truly a GT nut the Chinese diesel would appeal to a guy more. Some guys dont admire these old tractors or any tractors, they just need the use from them.

• JRJ said thank you

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,755 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 07:22 PM

I have a Bolens/Iseki G152 with a 42" tiller. 15 hp diesel, 2wd, manual tranny. (6 speed) I'd put that tiller up against anything out there, very tough.

I paid under 2 grand for the package, which included a deck and snowblower also.
image.jpg

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 07:58 PM

My tiller is a Massey 4250 (42") that I modified to 53" cut.  I till with any of my tractors with rear 2000rpm pto, and none are taxed at all, in fact, I never run full throttle and never run out of power.  I use my Massey "2050" (20hp Onan),  JB with Wisconsin TJD (19hp), and my Allis 620 (20hp).  All loaf using the tiller.  When it was still a 42" tiller, my Massey 1650 with K341 hardly knew the tiller was at work.  The main issue is finding the tiller.  2000rpm tillers are harder to find.  540 rpm tillers can be had everywhere, so for that reason, a small SCUT would fit the bill.  Plus diesel is way better for reliability.  So for reliability & ease of finding, I would go with a SCUT & 540rpm tiller.  A Massey 1010 diesel is just rated 16hp, but my BIL Fred had a 1010 & ran a 50+ wide tiller with ease, and he could dig down DEEP.

• sacsr and OkieGt have said thanks

#13 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 08:05 PM

My tiller is a Massey 4250 (42") that I modified to 53" cut.  I till with any of my tractors with rear 2000rpm pto, and none are taxed at all, in fact, I never run full throttle and never run out of power.  I use my Massey "2050" (20hp Onan),  JB with Wisconsin TJD (19hp), and my Allis 620 (20hp).  All loaf using the tiller.  When it was still a 42" tiller, my Massey 1650 with K341 hardly knew the tiller was at work.  The main issue is finding the tiller.  2000rpm tillers are harder to find.  540 rpm tillers can be had everywhere, so for that reason, a small SCUT would fit the bill.  Plus diesel is way better for reliability.  So for reliability & ease of finding, I would go with a SCUT & 540rpm tiller.  A Massey 1010 diesel is just rated 16hp, but my BIL Fred had a 1010 & ran a 50+ wide tiller with ease, and he could dig down DEEP.

I was thinking availilibity and the fact that the guy might not be a full blown old GT nut in which case nothing unusual or a need to acquire parts by asking for help from people like me, just kidding, but you know what I mean, some people have the fever, some dont. some love using a old GT others are more than happy with a used Kiota

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 08:10 PM

I was thinking availilibity and the fact that the guy might not be a full blown old GT nut in which case nothing unusual or a need to acquire parts by asking for help from people like me, just kidding, but you know what I mean, some people have the fever, some dont. some love using a old GT others are more than happy with a used Kiota

I agree.  Most any SCUT will have a stronger longer lasting drivetrain (PTO included) than even a "SUPER" GT.  So if he isn't a tinkerer, then best to go SCUT.

#15 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 11:21 PM

I have a Bolens/Iseki G152 with a 42" tiller. 15 hp diesel, 2wd, manual tranny. (6 speed) I'd put that tiller up against anything out there, very tough.

I paid under 2 grand for the package, which included a deck and snowblower also.
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Yep, thats what I'm talking about, you cant touch a HT20 or HY23 for that with implements